PDA

View Full Version : Pickup Dump bed

pjnlandscape
02-07-2010, 07:24 PM
hey guys i am planning on getting a new to me super duty, and i wanted to know what everyone thinks about adding a hydraulic cylinder inder the pickup bed to make it a dump truck.

JB1
02-07-2010, 07:27 PM
i don't think there worth whatever they charge for them.

mowerbrad
02-07-2010, 07:32 PM
I want to say that there was a thread that discussed this same thing, not too long ago. I think the decision was that a normal pickup bed was not strong enough to support the weight of the material in the bed when dumping. So if you were to do this, you would need to reinforce the bed underneath and on the sides. The only idea I like about those style dump units, is that you don't have the typical dump bed in the truck, so the truck looks "normal" and not always like a dump truck.

Pierce Arrow Inc
02-17-2010, 11:11 AM
You can put a dump kit on a standard pick up bed. Most standard beds only have a 2 ton capasity. You might want to look at put a flat bed on the truck and moving up to a 5 ton, 7 ton or 10 ton dump unit. The 5 ton and bigger units can't be installed on standard pickup truck beds.

pjnlandscape
02-17-2010, 11:40 AM
I am looking into this because i am still in school and my work truck is also my personal truck, so the flat bed although useful is out of the question. Girls probably don't want to be driven to the mall or the Prom in a flat bed Lol. But is it possible to add a kit to a short bed super duty without reinforcing the bed? and how much do your kits cost?

DoetschOutdoor
02-17-2010, 12:02 PM
Get a dump insert pjn if ya gotta have something that will dump. They are on here every now and then for cheap and will hold a few yards of mulch.

mowerbrad
02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
I am looking into this because i am still in school and my work truck is also my personal truck, so the flat bed although useful is out of the question. Girls probably don't want to be driven to the mall or the Prom in a flat bed Lol. But is it possible to add a kit to a short bed super duty without reinforcing the bed? and how much do your kits cost?

My truck has a service body on it and its both my personal and work truck. I like to think of it as a "chick magnet" it makes me stand out from the rest of the guys. But yet I am getting a different truck.:waving:

NIXRAY
02-17-2010, 12:26 PM
You shouldn't need a truck to pick up chicks

Pierce Arrow Inc
02-17-2010, 02:40 PM
What is the year, make and model of the truck you looking to put one on?

MikeKle
02-17-2010, 11:38 PM
Ive seen ads for those kits that make any truck into a dumping bed, and thought it would be great for doing mulch and not having to shovel it out. I think the kits are pretty cheap, but Im not sure what they come with. Some may only come with the hyd. cylinder and brackets, and nothing else, like the needed parts to power the cylinder from the engine. I would make sure it came with everything you needed to do the conversion. Or you could find a schematic of the kit and just buy a cheap hydraulic cylinder and fabricate the brackets and hardware yourself. this would be the cheapest route to go, then you can be sure it is strong enough for whatever you plan to use it for. Hydraulic cylinders can be found very cheap, and this is the main component for this conversion.

pjnlandscape
02-18-2010, 07:33 PM
I am looking at this option for a 2005-2008 ford f250 or possibly a 350 if i can find one cheap enough, definatly a short bed supercab, due to plowing and the desire to haul people in the cab, so dont anybody get me going on a eight foot bed.HaHa

BrandonV
02-18-2010, 09:55 PM
keep your s10 for the ladies and use the sd for work. go w/ a flatbed anything else is a waste of $... even if you go w/ a skinny flatbed (ie home depot and lowes style)

pjnlandscape
02-18-2010, 10:04 PM
well brandon the ladies do love the s-10. the signature does'nt say but it is dropped almost to the ground and blacked out with limo tint(which catches flak from the cops). but it is time to consolidate, i have a 1999 expedition that is equally tricked with a leveling kit, my bank account can only handle one truck now. HaHa thanks for the thought though.

Darryl G
02-18-2010, 10:07 PM
The bottom line is yes you can do it and yes it will work, but you can end up messing up the bed if you start trying to dump heavy loads. If it's for mulch and brush and stuff, it should be fine. I have a buddy who had one and he had a big leaf box on his truck and it did ok. Sometimes he'd be using a fork to get some of it out though because he was over the lift capacity. I've seen some the were a lift cylinder but others are an air bag I think. You can also just get one of the crank-type ones ...I forget what they call them. Basically it's a heavy fabric with a crank that mounts on the tailgate and the fabric lies on the truck bed.

White Gardens
03-05-2010, 01:42 AM
I am looking at this option for a 2005-2008 ford f250 or possibly a 350 if i can find one cheap enough, definatly a short bed supercab, due to plowing and the desire to haul people in the cab, so dont anybody get me going on a eight foot bed.HaHa

Just to let you know I have an 8ft mason dump and 10 ton lift cylinder for sale. Comes with the sub-frame and the electric over-hydraulic pump for it also.

Used will be wayyyyy cheaper than new.