PDA

View Full Version : LED Integrated Fixture Specifications - Where's the beef??

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-07-2010, 08:10 PM
I am preparing a presentation on LED light sources for use in outdoor lighting systems for an upcoming symposium. So I want to include information about various LED integrated fixtures as well as lamps. In reviewing a few major manufacturers web sites I am blown away by how little information they provide about their products. How can a lighting designer/contractor begin to do their job when all the information they are provided regarding a LED fixture is that it is based on a "1.9W LED chip". Yep that is it! No lumen output, no CCT, no CRI, no L70 rating, not even a subjective statement as to incandescent equivalency.

This is just one example of what I am talking about. I am not trying to single them out.
http://www.landscapelighting.com/opencms/opencms/system/galleries/pdf/ll_spec_sheet/landscape/15763.pdf

This amazes me. Are you just supposed to trust them because of their name? Buy a few thousand dollars worth of products and hope for the best?

Without the technical specifications, how do you guys who use these fixture lines know what you are getting into?

RLDesign
02-07-2010, 09:14 PM
I am preparing a presentation on LED light sources for use in outdoor lighting systems for an upcoming symposium. So I want to include information about various LED integrated fixtures as well as lamps. In reviewing a few major manufacturers web sites I am blown away by how little information they provide about their products. How can a lighting designer/contractor begin to do their job when all the information they are provided regarding a LED fixture is that it is based on a "1.9W LED chip". Yep that is it! No lumen output, no CCT, no CRI, no L70 rating, not even a subjective statement as to incandescent equivalency.

This is just one example of what I am talking about. I am not trying to single them out.
http://www.landscapelighting.com/opencms/opencms/system/galleries/pdf/ll_spec_sheet/landscape/15763.pdf

This amazes me. Are you just supposed to trust them because of their name? Buy a few thousand dollars worth of products and hope for the best?

Without the technical specifications, how do you guys who use these fixture lines know what you are getting into?

James,

You know I feel the proof is in the pudding. This fixture is one that I would specifically like to see field tested. Does anyone have the specs on this fixture? I am sure Mike Southard or Ron Carter would gladly put some info in your hands on this fixture. I am not on or off board with LED retro-fit lamps OR LED specific fixtures, but I would love to see some information from any company I have been researching. More and more companies and educated contractors are driving the amount of provided info... and many designers do not care about the info!!! I care and really need to know how it relates to what I am used to with regards to those ingredients in the pudding.

Talk soon.

Tanek
Reynolds Lighting

S&MLL
02-07-2010, 11:56 PM
What would you like to know about the fixture?

It works and yes there is a name behind it. Kichler lighting.

And unlike other companys going chap.11 and almost closing they are not.

And if they have a problem it gets resolved no questions asked. James I could careless about the tech specs. They have a team of testers who care about that stuff. My main concern is that it works...... Which it does

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-08-2010, 12:03 AM
Wow, S&MLL, your response astounds me. So just because some company put's their name on a product, that is good enough for you to specify it, purchase it and install it? You are not worried about how much light it produces? What CCT that light is? What that light is going to look like reflecting of of surfaces? How long the fixture will last?

I cannot imagine that you have purchased many LED fixtures from different manufacturers if you take this stand, because if you did, and if you have installed them... well your systems must look like a dogs breakfast. Just matching CCT between fixtures from the same manufacturers can be a real hassle.

Do you not care about the technical specifications of transformers, lamps, connectors, etc either?

Do you buy all products with this same attitude? Trucks? Boats? Vacations? Electronics? Tools? You must be a very trusting type of guy.

jshimmin
02-08-2010, 06:27 AM
Figures lie and liars figure...

I have yet to see ANY manufacturers numbers that are an actuality in the field. The only way I'll use the product is if I can personally see it matched up side by side with the so called halogen equivalent.
I've used the Kichler LED's with good success, but only in a location that the fixture can not be seen (they look awful).

Does not matter what the manufacture claims about the product, I have to test drive it myself. If the manufacturer will not give me the units to test, they have no faith in it themselves.

RLI Electric
02-08-2010, 07:48 AM
You mention that the manufacturers "give" you test models. Do they do this sort of thing? I don't imagine to anyone who asks but for those of us out there doing demonstrations and presentations, it just seems to me that this would be good sense. FX has given me a fixture before but everything else is out of my pocket. Just curious?

jshimmin
02-08-2010, 07:56 AM
Usually just have to ask. They either give them out right or loan them for a period to test with. Sometimes it's the local rep or the manu themselves.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-08-2010, 08:14 AM
[QUOTEDoes not matter what the manufacture claims about the product, I have to test drive it myself. If the manufacturer will not give me the units to test, they have no faith in it themselves.[/QUOTE]

I am specficically referring to LED fixtures (and lamps for that matter). When they 'give' you all of these test fixtures, do they also include their performance specifications?

Have you not ever read or used incandescent lamp charts or do you just go by your own eye?

How about photometric performance data? Ever used that (provided by the fixture manufacturer) to plan and design a lighting system?

My talk at this symposium will focus around the necessary data that must be supplied to a designer/contractor before they can make educated decisions on using LED fixtures or lamps in their system. With LED, there are a number of metrics that much be understood and they all come into play with each other. I am at the point where, given the proper specifications and data, I can tell in advance is an LED light source will be appropriate for various applications.

More often than not, I have found that companies are releasing incomplete data, or no data at all. Those who do provide ample and accurate data are also those who are producing quality units and standing behind them... it also follows that those with full performance data have the most accurate output. It is to the point now that if only one metric is missing from a spec sheet, I am suspicious of the unit's performance.

Gr1ffin
02-08-2010, 08:50 AM
I see both sides. For starters, Kichler is one of the few LED products that has a decent lumen output and no doubt they do as good as any or better job of standing behind their LED products, which is important when there is such little info on a new/changing technology. I give them credit for taking on such risk.

James is correct, that there is essentially little to no information on light specs for most LEDs so its impossible to tell "how much light" "what color light" most LED fixtures output. Accordingly you can't tell if they are near halogen equivalents unless you buy and try. Kichler should have the specs, but in the meantime, they have produced a product that their market deems acceptable which is good enough for many.

The reason there are not specs in general for most LED products is because:
-often manu's don't want you to see them, because they tend to be worse than halogen.
-they are changing so quickly that by the time you do the testing in a lab, make the nice charts and post the data, 3-6 months later its outdated.
-the LED market is dominated by small start-ups buying their own chips, using ubiquitous chinese made bodies, getting their drivers form small niche manu's, and having them assembled/imported and reselling. Accordingly they don't have the funds, data, time to produce the info.
-lastly LED lamps are different than incandescent regarding testing. The performance can vary depending on which fixture it is put into. An incandescent will out put the same lumen, color and have the same lifespan regardless of the fixture. The LED depends partially on the heat sinking/design of the fixture.

In the end, if you don't know the product, you do need the info James mentioned in order to determine what its real output is like. Right now LED is like the wild, wild west, with little to know specs, and the ones that are published often have to be taken with a large grain of salt. No one knows what it will really look like in 10 years as the data is extrapolated for those longer periods--no one has actually tested them for that long.

James is right on (although maybe it could have been worded differently :)), it is shocking how little data there is on the things that actually mater (lumens, color, etc). Instead LED sellers publish "watts' which is absolutely meaningless.

steveparrott
02-08-2010, 09:29 AM

James, your concerns are valid, although it mostly specifiers and certified lighting designers who are concerned with this level of detail (primarily for commercial projects). Still, there are a growing number of LL designers/installers who use this data. And, with LED's there are new criteria to consider.

Here's a good example of the sort of spec sheet that an LED mfg should provide: http://www.creelighting.com/downloads/LR6%20ss.pdf

Also note that IES files (currently offered by spec-minded mfgs.) should include extra fields for CRI, CCT, and L70. These files are essential for designers using light rendering software such as AGI32. IES files (obtained by independant testing laboratories) are considered to be third-party verification of a fixture's performance. Most mfg., however, use their own testing for L70 determination since that test is very expensive - this is cause for suspicion.

Also note that there is a growing need to provide information relevent to LEED, Energy Star, and other energy-saving incentive programs. I often get the question, "Does [this fixture] comply with LEED standards?" The answer is complicated. If you can clarify and simplify how lighting contributes to LEED credits, you will be doing your attendees a big favor.

RLI Electric
02-08-2010, 09:48 AM
Steve, has CAST come out with any LED yet?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Here's a good example of the sort of spec sheet that an LED mfg should provide: http://www.creelighting.com/downloads/LR6%20ss.pdf

Thanks Steve. I am a strong proponent of publishing proper specifications, photometrics and spectro-analysis data.

Here is an example of what I think is a full and complete specification for LED lamps and light sources:

http://www.integralighting.com/pdfs/MR16LED_Specifications.pdf

S&MLL
02-08-2010, 10:30 AM
James the only systems of mine that look like “dogs breakfast” are the cm895s with your led in them. But don’t worry they have been changed out and now look great. See its funny you no where I stand on Kichlers leds same place lighting geek does. But you still find a way to try and bash them. How many have you even put in?

I do see where your coming from. If I was a manufacturer of leds I would go around talking sh*t about other peoples products too.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-08-2010, 10:46 AM
James the only systems of mine that look like ďdogs breakfastĒ are the cm895s with your led in them. But donít worry they have been changed out and now look great. See its funny you no where I stand on Kichlers leds same place lighting geek does. But you still find a way to try and bash them. How many have you even put in?

I do see where your coming from. If I was a manufacturer of leds I would go around talking sh*t about other peoples products too.

No need to be rude. I am just amazed that people will buy and install sophisticated LED lighting products with no knowledge of their specifications and performance other than subjective "looks good to me" observations.

I am not trying to bash Kichler here. In fact, I clearly stated in my example that I was not trying to single them out. I didn't think it was necessary to go to every LED vendor and pull examples. I happened to be on their page in an effort to pull specifications to show the attendees at the symposium examples of top performing LED fixtures. (never assume... you know the refrain)

I apologize if I came across as being overly critical of your work. (We all have short tempered cranky days, no?) That was not a fair statement for me to make. *trucewhiteflag*

irrig8r
02-08-2010, 12:04 PM
What would you like to know about the fixture?

It works and yes there is a name behind it. Kichler lighting.

And unlike other companys going chap.11 and almost closing they are not.

And if they have a problem it gets resolved no questions asked. James I could careless about the tech specs. They have a team of testers who care about that stuff. My main concern is that it works...... Which it does

I don't get this attitude at all. Blind faith is what it sounds like to me. Sorry, but no manufacturer is gonna get that from me.

As a professional, designing and installing systems, knowing how the components work together and how well they perform in a given situation doesn't just effect your bottom line (callbacks) but is a large part of what distinguishes one from DIYs and hacks.

There is a lot of cheap LED junk hitting the market.

Publishing accurate and independently verified specs levels the playing field and helps you determine costs/ benefits.

As I think Ronald Reagan once said, "trust, but verify".

S&MLL
02-08-2010, 12:43 PM
Sorry james, you called my work dogs breakfast, I had to atleast stick up for myself.

Over the last year I have made my stance pretty much known on this site in regards to Kichler. For me is warrantee. Mostly being my distributor. I don’t have to ship stuff back and wait for thins to be fixed. We throw it away and a new fixture is 15 miles away. I do about 70 percent aluminum fixtures. I wish my market was different but around my ways this is what sells. A lot of people do not like the look of raw copper/brass or weathered copper/brass. This leads to my second reason for being a Kichler led fan. 15 years is not only for the led, its also for the finish of the fixture. That’s why it doesn’t make sense to put a retrofit in a 15384. But in my copper moon well lights and bullet fixture I don’t have a problem with a retrofit. Thing about the well lights is most of the time I need a 35w equivalent. Now I know the market is changing and better retros are coming out every day. But until I see a 35w equivalent with a decent warrantee I will stick to my Kichlers.

Also remember this is my opinion coming from my market. Everyone is different. If I did work on the shore I wouldn’t be using aluminum fixtures. A lot of my clients are getting laid off. Times are tough. Hopefully soon the market will turn around and I can go back to estate systems. These 25 fixture cookie cutters are getting boring.

irrig8r
02-08-2010, 06:57 PM
A lot of changes can occur in a landscape over fifteen years.

Planting renovations, hardscape changes, house remodeling including expansion into the yard, trees removed and replaced, pool where a lawn used to be, etc....

And maybe even two or three different owners. I suspect Kichler's warranty only extends to the original homeowner, right?

Maybe they think of them as "disposable" fixtures... (or to be more politically correct/ green "recyclable") and I'll bet a few of them will even be replaced with newer and maybe more efficient technology in 15 years.

Maybe a 15 year warranty is savvy marketing for capturing a larger share of the market.

How do they compare in cost to FX, DG or Vista's 2nd and 3rd generation integrated LED fixtures?

irrig8r
02-08-2010, 07:02 PM
Have you seen these?

From what I understand, the 3003, 3006 and 3009 are available now.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-08-2010, 09:18 PM
I have not yet seen them in person here in Canada. I do look forward to seeing them soon as my rep will have them at a tradeshow in March.

I do like the fact that the drivers, engines and optics are field replaceable. It will be interesting to see the full technical specifications once they become available. I have the LIST pricing and have to say they are quite reasonable. Now to convince VISTA to do something similar in Copper or Brass.

From a quick visual review of the brochure, I am not sure that adequate glare control options exist with this line. I would have liked to see accessory eyebrows of various lengths and shapes for different applications. Also, I am not a fan of composite polymer anything... I know Vista swears by the stuff, but I just dont like it myself. Finally, I think they should go the extra step and have this line IP rated. Seeing an IP65 (or better) on this would give me more peace of mind. Something about fixture designers from California/Arizona/Desert areas... they never seem to get moisture ingress issues solved.

Slowly manufacturer's are stepping up and developing better designed integrated LED fixtures, but that still doesnt provide a viable LED retrofit solution for all those thousands and thousands of installed systems out there.

S&MLL
02-08-2010, 09:31 PM
Gregg,

Ive never used the fx line. Never even seen them around my area. Honestly besides for maybe fold or terradek I don’t even know anyone who carrys them in jersey.

Vista looks like a nice unit. Cant seem to find a warrantee on that flyer. Last time I used vista for some up/downs and they were really expensive. So I don’t know if that relates to the rest of the line. Although quality was nice I actually has 1 of 7 leak and start to fog on the upper lens. Needed something to throw a 35watt on the down and this was the only low voltage fixture I could find. I do like the face that vistas led comes with the shroud. 20 dollar list option for Kichler. Besides for looks is there any difference from the 3000 to the 3010?

This is the up/down I was referring to.
http://www.vistapro.com/Files/Pictures/2522-CSN.jpg

Also the Kichler warrantee is a contractor warrantee. Or that’s the best way I could describe it. So It would be up to the contractor to honor that warrantee from ho to ho. And as far as price the 35w equivalent is around 140 list. And on a 50 plus fixture install the price starts to even out with halogens. Atleast that’s what my proposals show.

S&MLL
02-08-2010, 09:33 PM
I have not yet seen them in person here in Canada. I do look forward to seeing them soon as my rep will have them at a tradeshow in March.

I do like the fact that the drivers, engines and optics are field replaceable. It will be interesting to see the full technical specifications once they become available. I have the LIST pricing and have to say they are quite reasonable. Now to convince VISTA to do something similar in Copper or Brass.

From a quick visual review of the brochure, I am not sure that adequate glare control options exist with this line. I would have liked to see accessory eyebrows of various lengths and shapes for different applications. Also, I am not a fan of composite polymer anything... I know Vista swears by the stuff, but I just dont like it myself. Finally, I think they should go the extra step and have this line IP rated. Seeing an IP65 (or better) on this would give me more peace of mind. Something about fixture designers from California/Arizona/Desert areas... they never seem to get moisture ingress issues solved.
Slowly manufacturer's are stepping up and developing better designed integrated LED fixtures, but that still doesnt provide a viable LED retrofit solution for all those thousands and thousands of installed systems out there.

Could that be why my 400 dollar fixtures leak?

irrig8r
02-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Gregg,

Ive never used the fx line. Never even seen them around my area. Honestly besides for maybe fold or terradek I donít even know anyone who carrys them in jersey.

Vista looks like a nice unit. Cant seem to find a warrantee on that flyer. Last time I used vista for some up/downs and they were really expensive. So I donít know if that relates to the rest of the line. Although quality was nice I actually has 1 of 7 leak and start to fog on the upper lens. Needed something to throw a 35watt on the down and this was the only low voltage fixture I could find. I do like the face that vistas led comes with the shroud. 20 dollar list option for Kichler. Besides for looks is there any difference from the 3000 to the 3010?

This is the up/down I was referring to.
http://www.vistapro.com/Files/Pictures/2522-CSN.jpg

Also the Kichler warrantee is a contractor warrantee. Or thatís the best way I could describe it. So It would be up to the contractor to honor that warrantee from ho to ho. And as far as price the 35w equivalent is around 140 list. And on a 50 plus fixture install the price starts to even out with halogens. At least thatís what my proposals show.

So the Vista varies in price depending on the number of LEDs per fixture, starting at about 10% more than the list you mention.

The fixtures are US made. I looked at the 6 array and 9 array of the 3000 series and took one apart at a seminar.

The driver is potted in a clear epoxy or similar substance and made by this company:

http://www.s-tl.com/STL1/home.html

It is replaceable via a cable and plug at each end.

The LED array is not serviceable.

The electronics come with a 3 year warranty.

The 9 array is equivalent to 42W halogen and is a 25 deg. flood

The 6 array is equivalent to 35 W halogen and is a 12 deg. spot.

irrig8r
02-08-2010, 11:32 PM

The Vista 3000 series fixture bodies are all aluminum.

The polymer/ composite is in the stem/ knuckle and stake. I'll assume it's the same one they use with all their aluminum uplights line. I have had one break when adjusting it with a little too much brute force 8 years after the install, after having installed maybe 4 dozen.

I agree with you about the IP rating and seeing the rest of the specs.

Lite4
02-09-2010, 07:58 AM
Wow, the last time I looked at Vistas LED line (probably 2 years ago) they were still putting them in their existing fixture line. I see they have completely changed their fixture line now. Looks a lot like Kichlers line of LEDs. I like the fact that they are available in all of their powder coat colors. Biggest reason I have stayed away from Kichler was their cheapo knuckle. I used to use Vista all the time and don't have a problem with their synthetic knuckles, they are rugged enough. I will have to check the price points vs. kichler on these.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-09-2010, 08:23 AM
Maybe it is the cold here, or perhaps the polymer just degrades over time, but I have had a few issues with that knuckle. Not many, just a few. I'm sure that Vista would stand behind it no matter what.
Posted via Mobile Device

sprinklerchris
02-09-2010, 12:35 PM
The Vista 3000 series fixture bodies are all aluminum.

The polymer/ composite is in the stem/ knuckle and stake. I'll assume it's the same one they use with all their aluminum uplights line. I have had one break when adjusting it with a little too much brute force 8 years after the install, after having installed maybe 4 dozen.

I agree with you about the IP rating and seeing the rest of the specs.

Vista is now showing a cast-brass version of the 3000 series LED fixtures, but it does not appear to be on their web site yet. It has a solid brass knuckle assembly. The light output looks good compared to a MR16. I will ask my Vista guy when they will publish the specs.

sprinklerchris
02-09-2010, 12:38 PM
So the Vista varies in price depending on the number of LEDs per fixture, starting at about 10% more than the list you mention.

The fixtures are US made. I looked at the 6 array and 9 array of the 3000 series and took one apart at a seminar.

The driver is potted in a clear epoxy or similar substance and made by this company:

http://www.s-tl.com/STL1/home.html

It is replaceable via a cable and plug at each end.

The LED array is not serviceable.

The electronics come with a 3 year warranty.

The 9 array is equivalent to 42W halogen and is a 25 deg. flood

The 6 array is equivalent to 35 W halogen and is a 12 deg. spot.

The Vista rep indicated that all models were available as spot, flood and wide flood. Have they changed that?

irrig8r
02-09-2010, 03:51 PM
The Vista rep indicated that all models were available as spot, flood and wide flood. Have they changed that?

Not sure... these were what were demo'd for me... and what they told me were currently available.

irrig8r
02-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Vista is now showing a cast-brass version of the 3000 series LED fixtures, but it does not appear to be on their web site yet. It has a solid brass knuckle assembly. The light output looks good compared to a MR16. I will ask my Vista guy when they will publish the specs.

The only brass LED from Vista I've seen mention of is this underwater one.

http://vistapro.com/Files/news/VistaNews_6.09.4.pdf

RobZimmerman
02-09-2010, 04:50 PM
As one of the sales reps in the midwest for Vista, and a guy who stops in here from time to time to see whats going on, I want to start by saying hello to everyone...

Now, with regard to the LED product, the post by sprinklerchris is correct. They are available in a 20w (3-array), 35w (6-array), and 42w (9-array) comparable fixture. The beam spreads available for each of the clusters is 12, 25, and 50 degrees. As was stated earlier, the bodies are aluminum with our traditional Vista knuckle and are available in all 15 of our standard colors. They come standard with the shroud, but the option of no shroud is also available. The body size is the same regardless of the LED cluster being used.

Someone earlier asked about the difference between the 3000 and 3010 series, and there isn't one, save for the form of the fixture. The body was designed for the line-voltage LED fixture and was made available as a style choice for the low-voltage as well. The functions of either of the series are exactly the same.

As for the brass body, there will be one available in the future. We showed it at the IA show in San Antonio back in December (in the BSN and BSO styles).

That's it. Just wanted to clear up some of the questions that were floating around out there. Hope everyone has a great day.

sprinklerchris
02-09-2010, 04:59 PM
That's it. Just wanted to clear up some of the questions that were floating around out there. Hope everyone has a great day.

Thanks for the details. That helps. I did find the beam spreads are listed in the brochure on-line, but the brass model is not.

http://www.vistapro.com/Files/news/VistaLED-brochure_r_12.09.pdf

S&MLL
02-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Anyone have a list on these?

irrig8r
02-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Could someone familiar with FX's Lumineux LED line explain what is going on with this website?

The name and the logo are the same as I've seen on the brief Lumineux brochure, but this seems to be an old website that doesn't work....

http://www.lumineux.com/index.htm

jshimmin
02-10-2010, 01:39 PM
Below is a spec sheet on a new LED on its way for me to test. Problem is I won't believe it until I see it and would never show it until it's been running in the test bed for a while.

APPROXIMATE EQUIVALENCE 20 Watt Halogen Lamp
BASE TYPE: GU 5.3 Base
VOLTAGE: AC/DC 12 Volt and AC/DC 24 Volt
WATTAGE: 3 Watts
COLOR TEMPERATURE: Warm White (3000k)
CRI: >90
LUMEN OUTPUT: 282 Lumens
BEAM ANGLE:Narrow (18 ), Flood (30 ), Wide Flood (60 )
LED BRAND: Cree XR-E
WIDTH: 1.948" (49.5 mm)
LENGTH: 1.988" (50.5 mm)
OPERATING TEMPERATURE: -40 F to 158 F (-40 C to 70 C) o o o
DIMMABLE: Not Dimmable
RoHS COMPLIANT: Contains no mercury or lead
RATED LIFE: 50,000 hours
NET WEIGHT: 1.4 oz (40 g)
RATING: Indoor/Outdoor applications
WARRANTY: 3 Years