PDA

View Full Version : Please help me identify this shrub

tsh1773
02-08-2010, 07:27 PM
I'm not sure what this is. Any help would be appreciated.

IRRITECH
02-08-2010, 07:45 PM
Loropetalum

hoylebros
02-09-2010, 07:32 AM
^agreed!......

zturncutter
02-09-2010, 07:38 AM
Agreed.:waving:

froglawn
02-09-2010, 04:12 PM
sorry for the inexperience but it looks like a dying boxwood to me!! :)

IRRITECH
02-11-2010, 07:24 PM

Lighting is not great in the pic but they are really pretty shrubs. Most of the time they are the ruby red color completly and not the mix of green and red that you see.

Sweet Tater
02-11-2010, 08:56 PM
Loropetalum

I concur...........

starscream
02-12-2010, 06:40 PM
If only!!!

Portland Landscaping (http://www.paradiserestored.com/index.htm)

starscream
02-12-2010, 06:42 PM

If only!!!

Portland Landscaping (http://www.paradiserestored.com/index.htm)

LandscapeSavannah
02-12-2010, 08:52 PM
A dying boxwood, that's funny. I love loropetalum.

zturncutter
02-12-2010, 09:16 PM
Just planted 20 today at a local bank that I maintain. Lots of color and cold hardy, they are hard to beat. Replaced dwarf Bouganvillea and Plumbago that were killed by the freeze.:cool2:

flascaper
02-14-2010, 06:14 PM
This is a Berberis or Barberry shrub. The red is normal to its foilage color. Now down here in Florida this will not grow since its too hot. We use the Loropetalum or chinese fringe bush.

Hope this helps. ( Lightining strikes???? LOL )

Think Green
02-14-2010, 09:41 PM
OMG!
Look at the inner foliage! The remainder outer foliage is snow and freeze damage! (We have tons of this species around here and have had alot of snow and freezing!) The foliage is small and compact--thus the shape and low growing habit is remnant of a yaupon holly species. Look at the stem's and if the color is blueish to purple, then this shrub is a yaupon, and if the stem tissue is green, then it is a compacta holly or in the green luster family!
Berberis??? LOL!
If I read it correctly, the poster is in NC! Definately not a Barberry species. I think his camera is competing with the glare of the sun on his opticals.

Think Green
02-14-2010, 09:47 PM
With all this anewed wisdom and experienced advice, did you discover what species these plants are??
I will stand firm on the answer of : Yaupon! Take this to another nursery and see what they will tell you. If they tell you Loropetulum or Berberis, then your camera is astray!!!
Sorry, No offense to my other colleagues.!!

flascaper
02-15-2010, 07:03 AM
Look its a friggin loropetalum think green. Open a damn book.

zturncutter
02-15-2010, 07:33 AM
With all this anewed wisdom and experienced advice, did you discover what species these plants are??
I will stand firm on the answer of : Yaupon! Take this to another nursery and see what they will tell you. If they tell you Loropetulum or Berberis, then your camera is astray!!!
Sorry, No offense to my other colleagues.!!

None taken.:drinkup:

Crash
02-15-2010, 04:34 PM
What are the names of these shrubs? I think this will give us our answer for the shrub in question in this thread.

http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g62/sanborn83/Berberis.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g62/sanborn83/Loropetalum.jpg
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g62/sanborn83/Youpan.jpg

Good Luck! :)

hoylebros
02-15-2010, 05:16 PM
1st pic is crimson barberry - pygmy?
2nd pic - loropetalum
3rd pic - dwarf youpon

tattooedturf
02-16-2010, 06:15 PM
1st pic is crimson barberry - pygmy?
2nd pic - loropetalum
3rd pic - dwarf youpon

I 2nd. that

Think Green
02-16-2010, 06:44 PM

After going back and looking more closely at the original photo, the evidense is still clear as a bell..... It isn't a berberis(Obviously)--you would know with their thorns!! It isn't a compacta! It isn't a yaupon!! Then what is it and after paying close attention to the shape, inner leaf pattern and the burned foliage they still call it a Loropetulum!!! ??
You asked this thread question, and we spoke! So now after having the time to do your own research and possibly speaking to a nursery what is the plant so we are all a little clearer on your topic.

Flascaper,
In my area, we have planted several hundred of all the species of plants pointed out in this thread. All of my commercial properties have loropetulums, compactas, berberis, nandina domestica, heavenly bamboo and rosey glow--to name a select few--we plant them!! I have yet to see our loropetulums sustain winter damage as shown on the photo. Our loropetulums are in fact, damaged from our hard snow and ice this winter and none of them remotely resemble the original photo. As a matter of fact, they are red-purple this time of the year and are not green in any inner foliage. I understand that the original poster is from SC, you are from Fl. and I from Ar. but the growing habits of this plant are still the same. Our petulums have magnificently large foliage and are vibrant in color. There is minisule damage from freezes, but not to this extent. The plants that are showing this kind of kill off from weather is the compacta's, the yaupon's, photina's, buxus, and other non deciduous and evergreen plants. It was not my intention to come on this forum and start a cursing war on plant identification, as I am knowledgable in my zones plant material. I guess it doesn't matter if we differ in answers, but I guess my original response was a little brass and forward, but I will not call out another LCO! I was trying to look further into the shape and color of the actual photo. If the camera in question didn't have adequate color saturation and presentation, then the colors will be scued as they appear to me. IF I was answering in a non-professional manner then so were you with remarks of your demeanor. Trust me--after 19 years in this business, I have opened up quite a few damn books and have taken alot of BS tests on horticulture and arboriculture. So lets stop the buck here with our A-class personalities and move on!!

Turf Dawg
02-17-2010, 01:54 AM
I need a better pic. I could actually see it being all three that have been mentioned. The pictures shows a Red tint on my on my computer which would make me think Loropetalum or Barberry. But if they do not have thorns then I would rule out the Barberry. In my area the Loroletalums do not have that dense of branch structure on the interior. Now if the areas that look to have a Red tint are actually more Brown then I would say Dwarf Yaupons, because of the very dense interior branch and leaf structure. Like I say, I would need a better pic or see them to be for sure, but the tight and dense branch and leaf structure on the interior makes me think these are Dwarf Yaupons with freeze damage on the outer more tender leafs.

Valk
02-17-2010, 11:59 AM
Was the op's pic a recent pic...or from late last year sometime ~ Sept-Nov?

GreenmanCT
02-17-2010, 01:04 PM
def yaupon.

Crash
02-17-2010, 04:48 PM
I 2nd. that

Correct, you guys win the prize.

flascaper
02-22-2010, 09:10 AM
1 is boxwood
2 is loropetalum
3 is schillings holly

flascaper
02-22-2010, 09:21 AM
You know you are right. I am sorry for the damn thing. And I must admit after looking at this picture again decided that it can be one of the following

...........ah screw it this pic sucks. Ive seen frost bitten boxwoods looks sim to this. This is S car. and it looks as if it is not a loropetalum. It still looks like a crimson barberry.So what ever.

Crash
02-23-2010, 04:37 PM
1 is boxwood
2 is loropetalum
3 is schillings holly

Wrong, sorry.

flascaper
09-11-2010, 12:35 AM
I do business in fla and in this state I am confinced that its soo transient customers come and go. They leave stay for while rent out and go and come back or never at all.Frack em. Frack em all. I am sooo sick of these ones that say "Havent seen my LAWN GUY or worse LAWN BOY? WTF Kiss my ass man. You disrespectful little crapper from way up north loving the friggin Patriots craphole. They go thru one lcc after another and no one can please their ass. Good for a couple Months maybe. We make most of the money landscaping for older people settling in on what retirement is suppose to be and letting go of some cash they want to spend before they die. They ask me "How long will it take to grow I only have soo much time" I go over and beyond for these people since most of them have paid the price of freedom and survived to spend the last days of their lives here in sunnyass Florida. For now its what have you done for me lately? We work in 104 heat index in Sept. I say take your sorry yankee ass back where you came from and stay there since migration south requires a little more tack and stay. Welcome to Florida slow down and take it easy.