PDA

View Full Version : Best "residential" grade ZTR

Jim Clark
06-04-2002, 09:55 AM
Which residential grade ZTR is closest to commercial standards?

Have test driven Dixon 4500 series and Toro Timecutter. From what I've read Hustler Fastrak is probably closest to commercial grade but Hustler dealer is a little too far away. Dixon handled nice and easy but Toro seemed more substantial, looked like Toro had borrowed features from the Z Master and Exmark lines and sized them down for residential use.

There was a Timecutter 16-44 that sold on Ebay for $3000 "allegedly" with 2 hours total time. Tried to get the guy to email the serial number to me but he wouldn't so I passed on it.

Thanks.

Jim

Hoping the moderator will leave this here long enough for some responses before moving it to the homeowners forum where nobody will see it.

rvsuper
06-04-2002, 10:23 AM
I would get either a Dixon ZTR, or a Hustler Fastrak. I used to have 2 Dixons, but I got rid of them because they were getting kind of old. I've demoed a Fastrak before, very nice.

Brickman
06-04-2002, 11:41 AM
Personally I don't like the Dixon. I just bought and resold a used Walker 16 HP 42" deck for $3600. With a speed up kit that would be a good mower for a home owner I would think. This one is going for commercial use. I would think that it would last you for more years than you would want. (With proper care this one would still be in great shape, when the time came you wanted a new toy.)

scottb
06-04-2002, 01:40 PM
Go ahead and spend the extra money and buy the Lazer in the long run I think you will be alot happier.

Jim Clark
06-04-2002, 02:44 PM
I forgot to mention before that I also want to be able to mulch OR bag and I want to be able to plow snow for the occasional few inches we get in Virginia. The hustler doesn't have a plow attachment and it only has a side bagger option (not sure how that works). The Timecutter and Dixon have baggers and plows available.

There is another option, a local dealer who handles mostly commercial stuff has a leftover Ariens 1540 that he'll sell to me at cost. It does not look as substantial as the Toro.

I'm only going to be cutting 1 acre but I want it done fast and neat.

RVLI: Were your Dixons residential or commercial grade? There's quite a difference.

Brickman: The Walkers look nice but the unit they consider the residential grade only has 11 hp, doesn't seem like enough to me. Also don't think they have a plow available.

Scott: I'd love to have a Lazer or Z Master but I think it's overkill and I don't know if they can plow snow.

Right now I'm leaning toward the Timecutter 17-44. I'd be REALLY interested in the lawn care professional's opinion of these if they have seen or used them.

Thanks for the replies!

Jim

scottb
06-04-2002, 04:10 PM
Im sure that you can get the same attachment for the Lazer series at least look at the Hp series Toro or Exmark. I like Toro but they have been known to mess up a few thing Wheel Hores for example.
See if you can demo any of these and see how they perform. Tell them no demo no buy.
Good luck on what ever your decison is.

Shultz
06-04-2002, 07:03 PM
I'm not sure u can compare commercial ZTR equipment and the residential stuff form TORO/Dixon. Quality and construction are apples and oranges, not to mention the design. You'll see that the forum has suggested in previous posts there is no good ZTR for $3000.00. IMO spend the money....it's well worth it.

I have a commercial unit for residential use...(a 1.5 acre lawn=45 minutes with trimming) that just means it will last forever for what I use it for. I guess it all depends on our budget, closest dealer for service, and how long you want it to last.

TLS
06-04-2002, 07:11 PM
I would just buy a used 52" Walkbehind. You'll get done much quicker than riding a small, cheap, 44" ZTR wannabe mower with absolutely no trim side deck offset.

You can pick up used Hydro WB's with 17hp and 52" cut for a few thousand and will last you your lifetime, and maybe even your kids! An acre isn't all that much and will probably take you about a 1/2hour. Dont want to walk that 1/2 hour??? Get a sulkey or Velky.!

No ZTR is ever going to push snow successfully, you'd be better with a small snowblower or snowthrower 2 cycle.

scottb
06-04-2002, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by TLS
I would just buy a used 52" Walkbehind. You'll get done much quicker than riding a small, cheap, 44" ZTR wannabe mower with absolutely no trim side deck offset.

You can pick up used Hydro WB's with 17hp and 52" cut for a few thousand and will last you your lifetime, and maybe even your kids! An acre isn't all that much and will probably take you about a 1/2hour. Dont want to walk that 1/2 hour??? Get a sulkey or Velky.!

No ZTR is ever going to push snow successfully, you'd be better with a small snowblower or snowthrower 2 cycle.

TLS is correct a good walkbehind would be better than a cheap ztr. And like he said with a velke not alot of walking involved. You can even get a sit down sulky. For the money you want to spend it's worth looking into.

Brickman
06-04-2002, 10:50 PM
Jim Clark if you reread my post I didn't mention the 11 HP Walker. I agree that isn't enough balls.

You can get blades, snow blowers, brooms, small loader buckets, etc. for the Walkers.

MOW ED
06-05-2002, 06:38 AM
Brickman-just for info the speed up kit is only available for mowers of 20 HP or greater.

Walkers residential grade of mower is the 11hp Model S and by reading Mr Clarks question states that he is looking for the residential grade of a mower that closely resembles the commercial grade.

WalkerModel S
Large Homeowner or Light Commercial Use
11-HP Kawasaki FE350 engine
Manual PTO clutch and brake
6.7 bushel catcher with GHS option
36 or 42-inch cutting width Commercial & Institutional Use

Walkers complete specs are here;

http://www.walkermowers.com/index.htm1?section=products

johnhenry
06-05-2002, 08:28 AM
Jim you want the best of both worlds and with the amount off money you are looking to spend .It wont happen. Dixon is just plain junk even for a homeowwner.Toro timecutter same thing.Since you only have a acre of ground and you want to plow snow .You would be better off with a lawn tractor.Even a cheap mtd tractor will be better than a dixon. And if you really want a ztr look for a used walker. There quality of cut is a 100 times better than the two ztrs you are looking at.Do a search here on dixons you will be amazed with all the problems

Brickman
06-05-2002, 08:12 PM
Brickman-just for info the speed up kit is only available for mowers of 20 HP or greater.

This may be what WALKER says, but the previously mentioned 16 HP is tons faster than my totally stock 25 HP. So while you may not be able to buy a Walker sanctioned speed up kit, this mower obviously had some thing.

My uncle uses a 11 HP Walker for commercial mowing. He does regular service on it, (that is half the battle) and if I remember right he told me it has in excess of 1000 hours on it. Be honest and tell me how long will a home owner have to use a mower to put that many hours on it. I don't have that many on my 1999 Walker yet. It will be soon, like this week, but hasn't happened yet.

46mack
04-26-2006, 03:36 AM
hustler fastrak is the way to go. frame is thick wall tubing, warranty on the 7 gauge deck is lifetime.

nmurph
04-26-2006, 08:08 AM
go to the Hustler forum and read. for less than .75 acre the Mini Fasttrak is great.the fasttrak is excellent for yards above 1 acre. for a few hundred more you can get a Mini Z 36" or 42". it is a full commercial mower. read some of the post where owners have had problems with their mowers and see how they were resolved. no one can match Hustler's factory support.

steve45
04-26-2006, 11:35 PM
There is one guy here that likes Dixons. I've got one, and it's absolutely the worst, most troublesome product I've ever owned in my life! I even called Mr. Dixon at his home to complain about it. It IS 23 years old now, but the trouble begain while it was in warranty. The newer models are much better, but getting parts is still a problem.

Dixon is notorious for not being able to keep dealers. They even called and asked ME if I would be a dealer (NO WAY). The dealer they do have are typically fairly new, they don't have a complete parts inventory, and you can expect to wait weeks for parts. Last summer, I waited SIX WEEKS for a sprocket! Dixon has done a lot of updates to their mowers, which is good. However, when you order a part, you'll get the upgraded part, which won't fit unless you order a bunch of other parts to go with it--wait a couple more weeks! The dealers don't know enough about the mower to order the correct thing in the first place.

I now own a Scag, and I'm happy with it. They have a small mower for homeowners, but it's pretty expensive.

Fishboat
04-30-2006, 08:15 AM
You're whining about a 23 year old mower & parts...and you've run this since new (under warranty) and you're still running it..and it's still worth fixing.....and you're comparing it to newer Scags....get a grip.

I run a Dixon (2001) on my property...it's been trouble free, great cut, & I have a long-time dealer six miles away.

jlester97yo
04-30-2006, 01:36 PM
I just ordered a Simplicity Javelin. I got the middle version with 44" cut and 20hp engine. It should be here on Tuesday and I'll post about how well it works. I have always been impressed with Simplicity mowers and the dealer I am using is really great.

Jason

forgop
04-30-2006, 07:41 PM
The Hustler and Ariens are all pretty much alike. I looked at both and went with the Ariens. I felt as though I got a little more bang for my buck. I know the Ariens had the fastest blade speed of anything I compared, including Exmark, Hustler, and Country Clipper.

I could mow a yard side by side with a high dollar commercial ZTR and I can assure you wouldn't know the difference in the cut from my Ariens 1740.

nmurph
05-01-2006, 08:31 AM
The Hustler and Ariens are all pretty much alike. I looked at both and went with the Ariens. I felt as though I got a little more bang for my buck. I know the Ariens had the fastest blade speed of anything I compared, including Exmark, Hustler, and Country Clipper.

I could mow a yard side by side with a high dollar commercial ZTR and I can assure you wouldn't know the difference in the cut from my Ariens 1740.
the ariens may be a few $ cheaper, but i think you get a more robust mower in a Hustler. also, the blade speed is faster on the Hustler Fasttrak 17,600 than on the Ariens 1840 (could not find the 1740)16,100. Hustler also has a 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty and lifetime on some parts, and the Hustler frame is welded, not bolted together.

forgop
05-01-2006, 10:53 AM
the ariens may be a few $ cheaper, but i think you get a more robust mower in a Hustler. also, the blade speed is faster on the Hustler Fasttrak 17,600 than on the Ariens 1840 (could not find the 1740)16,100. Hustler also has a 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty and lifetime on some parts, and the Hustler frame is welded, not bolted together.

I believe my Ariens was listed as 18,000. IIRC, the frame is welded together, but don't remember off the top of my head. It seemed to be constructed of the same thickness steel for the frame and the deck as all the other major commercial ZTR's.

At any rate, if well maintained, it's probably the only mower I'll ever need to buy as it's probably only going to get about 25 hours/year on it. Would I use it for making a living off of it? Probably not, but I would have no problem mowing 10 hours/week on it I'm sure.

Lumberjack
05-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Assuming you take good care of it the Ariens will probably outlast you..