PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of hunting, is this illegal?

Premier landscaping south
02-08-2010, 11:30 PM
I am selling a deer head on craigs list and someone e mailed me and said it was illegal to do so and I could get into big trouble. They suggested to sell a magazine or something and say free deer head with purchase of magazine. Note my deer head was not the only one for sale. I would say their were about 5 others and they were for sale without a sly catch.

Is it illegal to sell a stuffed deer head?

dwlah
02-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Id check with state DNR just to be safe
No reason to go to jail

iand
02-09-2010, 04:34 AM
Is it legal to sell or buy venison in South Carolina?

No. State Law 50-11-1910 prohibits the sale of deer parts in SC. Only the hides of legally taken deer may be sold between August 15 and February 2 of each year. Persons or store owners offering venison for sale and persons buying venison in any form are subject to criminal prosecution. This provision also applies to mounted or unmounted deer heads, antlers, and feet. Deer means any animal of the family Cervidae; which includes all species of deer and elk or other hoofed deer-like animals which shed antlers. For more information, contact Deer Project, PO Box 167, Columbia, SC 29202 or call (803) 734-3609.

Premier landscaping south
02-09-2010, 07:08 AM

No. State Law 50-11-1910 prohibits the sale of deer parts in SC. Only the hides of legally taken deer may be sold between August 15 and February 2 of each year. Persons or store owners offering venison for sale and persons buying venison in any form are subject to criminal prosecution. This provision also applies to mounted or unmounted deer heads, antlers, and feet. Deer means any animal of the family Cervidae; which includes all species of deer and elk or other hoofed deer-like animals which shed antlers. For more information, contact Deer Project, PO Box 167, Columbia, SC 29202 or call (803) 734-3609.

Thank you my friend.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
02-09-2010, 07:18 AM
wow....I laughed at first when I saw the post since I'm an avid hunter and MANY places sell deer trophies up here. But I learned something new today. That is crazy - maybe they are afraid it might only encourage poachers or something if they realize they could make money off of it.

44DCNF
02-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Do you have CWD down that way? Maybe that is part of the reasoning?

jkingrph
02-09-2010, 09:12 AM

An interesting note. Look at iand's address. Strange that some one from Australia would answer on a point of SC law, unless he had lived there. I am not doubting his response because it makes sense to me, having heard of similar laws throughout the south all of my life.

LKNBigFish
02-16-2010, 11:57 PM
learn something new everyday, i've seen several on my local craigslist

Swampy
02-17-2010, 12:06 AM
Do you have CWD down that way? Maybe that is part of the reasoning?

From what I get its only localized area's such as CO, WI, IL, IA, and south eastern counties of MN, those are one's I know of. But to anwser the original post, yes it is illegal to openly sell game trophies, or products of the like. But private sales and as a "door prize" or "gift" is legal. I wouldn't sell it, keep it and hang it in the garage or shop.

cgaengineer
02-17-2010, 06:29 AM
Legal or not, I question why anyone would want to buy another persons trophy?