PDA

View Full Version : CTL in snow report

swanny
02-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Ran my Takeuchi TL 120 (factory tracks) in the past two snow storms. Clocked about 35 hours on it. This past weekend's storm dumped 30" of mostly heavy wettish snow on us...machine did absolutely wonderful...so much I wouldn't of wanted a wheel machine even with tire chains. Was much more productive than a truck with plow or even a skid with wheels. Though my hunch is that an ASV PT60 would have been even better.

I could walk right through 3' foot snow drifts with no problem (with 7.5 myers plow up out of snow). Typical driveway in the two developments I'm plowing were averaging 150' of 12' wide drive with 30'x40' parking pad down by the house. Some of them rather steep. Took 20 minutes or less plowing with another 10 minutes chatting with homeowner. Was very meticulous in getting snow away from house and garage doors. Didn't get stuck once. Two speed was very handy. Everyone was more than happy to pay a Ben Franklin for the service.

Best way for machine was to stick the plow about 20" down with straight blade and do an X pattern clearing driveway, then I finish up the remainder with the angled blade. When I got down to the icy stuff the key was to start out slow to avoid track spin. I calipered the track tread thickness before I started and ended up with the same average measurements when I got through.

Can't believe the CTL is condemned by many for snow removal. We're supposed to get another 12 to 18" on top of this. Many parking lots and side streets are still full of snow.

Shadetree Ltd
02-09-2010, 02:03 PM
They are condemned by people that don't know how to operate them or they read it somewhere on the internet so it must be true. We have a Blizzard 810SS on our CT322.

stuvecorp
02-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Glad you had a good experience but what type of snow did you have? Were you able to get down to blacktop? I tried last year plowing the yard and it was not a fun experience.

swanny
02-09-2010, 03:31 PM
[QUOTE=stuvecorp;3408998]Glad you had a good experience but what type of snow did you have? Were you able to get down to blacktop? I tried last year plowing the yard and it was not a fun experience.[/QUOTE

First part of storm was heavy wet-like snow with a foot or so of fluffy stuff.

I didn't realize plow pivot pins were rusted tight. Machine could really push some snow around...tripped three times and pivot pins were broke in half...plow was hanging from the trip springs. Made a mad rush back to the shop and took three hours to fab something else - good thing electric didn't go off like many experienced or else I would have been high and dry.

I'd venture to say I exposed blactop 60 to 70%.

swanny
02-09-2010, 03:41 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/barndwellers_md/003-1.jpg

This is a pic of the last bit of our driveway that was drifted over with 5' drifts in places. Snow pile on right is 9' tall or so. Not a big deal for you mid-western guys, but for us this was a rare event. Makes having a quarter mile driveway a pain. :)

mrsops
02-09-2010, 04:09 PM
When i was in a big jam last year i took my bobcat t190 out. I put my best operator on it. He said it did fine. I think if you have the right person in the machine it will do just fine. There calling for 10-15 inches here tonight so i may have to take the ctl out

RockSet N' Grade
02-09-2010, 05:58 PM
YOU got all our snow! Around here it is about time to get out the lawnmower........usually we have 12"-24" on the ground - right now it is zero, nada, zilch. Nice to here about the tracked machine.......

ConstSvcs
02-09-2010, 07:38 PM
They are condemned by people that don't know how to operate them or they read it somewhere on the internet so it must be true. We have a Blizzard 810SS on our CT322.

Hmmmm ......I would like to think that I am a very skilled operator with most large and small equipment.....with the exception of a Gradall. I must say ......my CT322 with factory Bridgestone tracks just plane sucks in any snow on paved surfaces with any incline. Actually, once traction is lost ( on hard packed wet snow) it is a very dangerous machine.

Gravel areas are of course no problem. The low ground pressure across the entire track surface in combination with fixed rollers of the CT 322 is a recipe for the possibility of an out of control ride that cannot be stopped even with the cutting edge (without teeth).

I have to say that the Takies that I have used are a$$ heavy and with the radial lift path, which must help when using a fixed bottom CTL for clearing inclined areas.

Shadetree Ltd
02-09-2010, 08:32 PM
All of our plowing is on paved surfaces. Our machine has original tracks with a heavy 700 hours of use. We only plow one incline though, all of our areas where the machine is parked are relatively flat.

ksss
02-09-2010, 11:26 PM
I have used mine for snow this year and as long as you don't have packed snow/ice it works fine. If the suface is polished ice your not pushing anything.

Bleed Green
02-10-2010, 12:24 AM
Swanny, how much snow did you guys get wow there is a mountain on either side of that driveway.

Mr. Rain
02-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Examples like your picture are the reason I use a blower instead of a blade/bucket. If I pushed snow into ridges like that the next day it would be full between the 2 sides with 8' of snow to get through. Midwest wind with tunnels like that = bad news.

DiyDave
02-10-2010, 10:14 AM
Ran my Takeuchi TL 120 (factory tracks) in the past two snow storms. Clocked about 35 hours on it. This past weekend's storm dumped 30" of mostly heavy wettish snow on us...machine did absolutely wonderful...so much I wouldn't of wanted a wheel machine even with tire chains. Was much more productive than a truck with plow or even a skid with wheels. Though my hunch is that an ASV PT60 would have been even better.

I could walk right through 3' foot snow drifts with no problem (with 7.5 myers plow up out of snow). Typical driveway in the two developments I'm plowing were averaging 150' of 12' wide drive with 30'x40' parking pad down by the house. Some of them rather steep. Took 20 minutes or less plowing with another 10 minutes chatting with homeowner. Was very meticulous in getting snow away from house and garage doors. Didn't get stuck once. Two speed was very handy. Everyone was more than happy to pay a Ben Franklin for the service.

Best way for machine was to stick the plow about 20" down with straight blade and do an X pattern clearing driveway, then I finish up the remainder with the angled blade. When I got down to the icy stuff the key was to start out slow to avoid track spin. I calipered the track tread thickness before I started and ended up with the same average measurements when I got through.

Can't believe the CTL is condemned by many for snow removal. We're supposed to get another 12 to 18" on top of this. Many parking lots and side streets are still full of snow.
Hey Swanny, good to see you're still able to get out. We got about 30" down here in AA county, I spent 5 hours, the night after the last snow, just blowing out the driveway, with the ASV, and the 4' snow blower I made out of an old 3 point hitch model. I hit a few neighbors, for another 5 or 6 hours, then yesterday traded off to the snowplow, as the roller chain on the blower was in desperate need of lubing. I got that done, and pushed out the west side of the driveway (850-900ft), pushed out the snowblower wall another 8-10', hoping for a sort of snow fence, made out of snow 7-8' tall pile, the whole length of driveway. Got the blower hooked back up and ready to go, as soon as the wind stops blowing, or the power goes out. (dont' wanna try starting the asv without the preheater goin') I think I'm gonna bring a snowball to the next algore speech, if he shows up around here!:laugh::laugh::waving:

curtisfarmer
02-10-2010, 10:45 AM
I don't have CTL, but do have miniX with rubber tracks which is great in snow....but is useless on ice. There for I am no expert, but I do plow ALOT of snow and 1 observation I have is that in areas where snow is frequent...NE, Midwest, etc...the ground is usually frozen throughout the winter, which is probably alot different than midatlantic where everyone is getting dumped on. The big difference is once you make a pass with snow on top of frozen ground.....it turns to shear ice/ glazed snow. If you are working where the ground isn't frozen underneath, that glaze doesn't form allowing a tracked machine to perform great.

DiyDave
02-10-2010, 11:02 AM
Shhhh. You are onto the secret. If you don't put the bucket all the way down, and leave just a little snow under your tracks, you have all the traction you need, and crunchy snow is easier to drive on than ice.:laugh::laugh::waving:

swanny
02-10-2010, 11:37 AM
Hi Dave - glad to hear you came out on top with no break downs. What a mess today....45mph winds and the snow is coming down non-stop.

You've got to put that cab enclosure back on the RC30. I made one for the Takkie in the wee hours of the morning before I started plowing this past storm...so much more enjoyable being out of the weather in a warm place.

The ground is frozen here...we've had a hard winter, but Dave is right...put a little snow down on the ice and I've got mucho traction.

Rain man is right about the 9' piles on the sides of our driveway...they're getting filled in with this wind.

My kids were hoping the snow wasn't so deep - they wish they could do more of this with the neighbor kids: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8zs1Obggq4

but they're content with jumping off the roof with their beagles flying right beside them.

I ordered the NextGen tracks from MClaren since they gave me a better price...will see what difference they make.

theeplaymaker
02-10-2010, 02:34 PM
the storm we had this weekend we rented a bobcat and being a shoveler right now sucked when i tried to walk where he had turned or driven over it was pure polished ice but it really did help with so much and made a lot of things easier i'm not working today but this storm right now is straight up dumping and blowing on southeast,central, pa and maryland our one plow man got stranded in delta, md earlier today not sure if he got back yet or not...2 nasty storms in a week is the first i've seen in a while and really the first i've truly remember since i'm only 22

swanny
02-16-2010, 05:46 PM
We ended up getting another 20" from the second storm to make a total of 50 inches in 5 days.

Update on the tracks: Got the NextGen tracks from McLaren and installed them. Took 45 minutes for the one side and 15 for the other. Trick is to get the back on the drive sprocket and then someone inside the cab to slowly rotate the track forwards while you put a skinny pry bar on top of the idler wheel in the front...pry over while it rotates slowy.

What a difference...I'd say it's at least 40% better ride if not more. Cuts down on the vibrations due to the extra tread bar in between the pitches.

Traction is noticeably better on hard packed snow and ice...better gripping power...more surface area on the ground. Less ground disturbance on soft sod too. Walks more on top of the heavier snow with this tread design.

Think I can keep up pretty close to the productivity of an ASV now...except for the upper ground speed.

I forget who recommended these tracks...but thanks whoever you are!

Shadetree Ltd
02-16-2010, 05:57 PM
Good to hear, if you don't mind how much $$?

DiyDave
02-16-2010, 07:01 PM
We ended up getting another 20" from the second storm to make a total of 50 inches in 5 days.

Update on the tracks: Got the NextGen tracks from McLaren and installed them. Took 45 minutes for the one side and 15 for the other. Trick is to get the back on the drive sprocket and then someone inside the cab to slowly rotate the track forwards while you put a skinny pry bar on top of the idler wheel in the front...pry over while it rotates slowy.

What a difference...I'd say it's at least 40% better ride if not more. Cuts down on the vibrations due to the extra tread bar in between the pitches.

Traction is noticeably better on hard packed snow and ice...better gripping power...more surface area on the ground. Less ground disturbance on soft sod too. Walks more on top of the heavier snow with this tread design.

Think I can keep up pretty close to the productivity of an ASV now...except for the upper ground speed.

I forget who recommended these tracks...but thanks whoever you are!
Hey Swanny, we got about 16" out of the last one. Between the 2 we had close to 40" of snow in most spots, with drifts to 6' or more! This is the first storm(s) that I actually had to clear paths to hay bales, that I had put out for the cows, before the first storm! I used the snowblower, and the cows were so hungry, they followed me in the ASV, when they sited a bale, it looked like an angus downhill event! Glad your new tracks worked out. Me, I have a little reinforcing, and modifying to do to the snowblower, as soon as I can get to the building, with the welder in it!:laugh::laugh::waving:

swanny
02-16-2010, 07:20 PM
Was able to get them shipped for right around $2,300. Will offset the cost by selling the original tracks...they're probably at more than 90% life left.

Dave - Sounds like you put a bunch of hours on the RC30. Thought I'd miss mine, but I don't (yet). I'd like to see what your place looks like with all the snow - you have a lot more stuff sitting around to get in the way than I do. Our cows are gone until spring...good thing too.

DiyDave
02-16-2010, 07:23 PM
Was able to get them shipped for right around $2,300. Will offset the cost by selling the original tracks...they're probably at more than 90% life left.

Dave - Sounds like you put a bunch of hours on the RC30. Thought I'd miss mine, but I don't (yet). I'd like to see what your place looks like with all the snow - you have a lot more stuff sitting around to get in the way than I do. Our cows are gone until spring...good thing too.
Swanny, used about 30 gallons of diesel, on the first storm, maybe 7 or 8 so far, on the last one. Haven't checked hrs, but I bet over 25 in the snow!:hammerhead:

P.Services
02-16-2010, 07:28 PM
That's funny, angus downhill event!!
Posted via Mobile Device

swanny
02-16-2010, 08:24 PM
Here's what our place looked like after the first snow (too bad you don't have kids, Dave):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QnayMF_QX5s

swanny
04-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Thought this might be helpful info for anyone considering the Next Gen track from McLaren - now that I've had the opportunity to move dirt, I really like these tracks much better than the stock bar tracks. They have plenty of traction, and the ride is superior! For finish grade I take the tracks and run over the area and it's very little work to get it ready for seed....factory tracks stink for this.

Dirt was a little on the wet side in this pic, but I didn't prep much after this and the yard with grown grass looks great! Had to install a french drain along the house and change the grade a bit since water was getting in her cellar (house is several hundred years old):

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/barndwellers_md/002-1.jpg

Here was a shot of the tracks with over 50 hrs on them...they still have the mold strips on the tops of the tracks (and I've run them on quite a bit of pavement and concrete:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v85/barndwellers_md/002.jpg

Found out the rental center I use quite often has them on their T190's. If only Takeuchi would install these from the factory - they'd be selling a bunch more machines, imo.

bobcat_ron
04-17-2010, 10:42 PM
What do the inside of the tracks look like, are they the same raised steel contact pad?

stuvecorp
04-17-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the update. I agree with you that if TK and their cousin machines had a more forgiving track you would see more out there.

I still regret getting the 130 size, the 120 would work better for me.

swanny
04-18-2010, 06:54 AM
What do the inside of the tracks look like, are they the same raised steel contact pad?

Yes, Ron. I wish they put track in the middle like I've seen on some other CTL's.

Stuve - sometimes I would like more ROC, but overall am super glad I went with the TL120 since I'm often in the burbs with it and need "Jack be nimble Jack be quick".