PDA

View Full Version : When is the proper time to trim CMs?

SMITHSCAPE
02-09-2010, 08:31 PM
I'd like to hear what everyone considers the prime time to prune Crape Myrtles. Do you go by a certain month or temperature?

SNAPPER MAN
02-09-2010, 09:54 PM
We have already started pruning crape myrtles, february is when you are supposed to down here.

sunray
02-09-2010, 09:55 PM
In my yard, anytime I want too.
Their like weeds you can't kill them and they grow like crazy.

anotherturfgeek
02-10-2010, 12:25 PM
February is the best.

anotherturfgeek
02-10-2010, 12:27 PM
Just noticed you are in AL. I lived in B'Ham for awhile and February is best there too!

Snapper Pro
02-10-2010, 09:21 PM
I always trim mine in Feb.

Dugann
02-11-2010, 05:29 AM
We do ours in Feb, but when ever the plant is dormant as a rule of thumb.

Sweet Tater
02-11-2010, 08:57 PM
I'd like to hear what everyone considers the prime time to prune Crape Myrtles. Do you go by a certain month or temperature?

I have had good luck doing them in Oct and March in N Ms

SMITHSCAPE
02-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Thanks for all of the replies. I had heard February, but wanted to make sure.

Turf Dawg
02-17-2010, 10:49 AM
I just hoping you are talking about removing the old pods and are not going to commit "Crape Murder". I just hate it when people start cutting the bigger branches on the upper parts of Crapes.

Kevin M.
02-17-2010, 07:32 PM
The question I have is WHY do you have to prune such a nice tree ? Crape Murder is a disgusting habit and have seen it way way too much here in this area and it goes on and on but one town around here put an end to it and there Crepes are going to look awesome come summer. I have a former client who had a crepe myrtle that was 40 feet tall in her backyard and had beautiful flowers all summer long and this tree was fertilized twice per year and didnt have a single aphid on it ! Dont prune them or do it correctly.

Sweet Tater
02-17-2010, 08:51 PM
I just hoping you are talking about removing the old pods and are not going to commit "Crape Murder". I just hate it when people start cutting the bigger branches on the upper parts of Crapes.

you'd hate one of my customers, she has me cut 32 of them to the ground every fall

Florida Gardener
02-17-2010, 11:31 PM
See, I will draw a line with customers. We have a huge problem with over pruning palms down here. Most LCO's and even most tree companies down here do not prune palms correctly, nor do they seem to know how to correctly prune them. If someone wants me to prune a palm the wrong way, even after I explain to them the correct way, I will turn the work down. I have a degree in hort. and am going for my ISA Certification. If I agree to do something I know is wrong, I am part of the problem.

Turf Dawg
02-17-2010, 11:43 PM
you'd hate one of my customers, she has me cut 32 of them to the ground every fall

:cry::cry::cry: At least cut that low those ugly arse stubs are not 6' high:hammerhead::hammerhead::hammerhead::cry::cry:

CashMaintenance
03-02-2010, 05:29 PM
I have always had clients ask me to cut them down to about 2-3 ft. every year or other year, while I think it looks awful I also understand that it is ultimatley their decision and either I can be the one to make the money doing the job or they will get someone else to do it. The economy makes that choice for me. :usflag:But recently I am starting to get new clients that have crape's that are between 15-30 feet tall and want them pruned so what would be the lowest advisable height to trim them to that would keep them healthy and full of blooms but avoid cutting them all the way down? I was thinking of taking most of them down to about 7-8 feet but I know I am also not as knowledgeable as some on this site so what do the Crape Murder Prosecutors think about the "best" height? p.s not trimming them at all is not an option in this case

hoylebros
03-02-2010, 07:03 PM
The main reason that we have to prune them is due to improper location to start with. For some reason other companies around here like to plant them about 3ft off the house. But, if you are going to prune just remove the old pods and do it before it flowers. Hope that helps!

CashMaintenance
03-02-2010, 08:43 PM
I agree with the improper location being a factor. Now that I think about it the reason my clients' need to be trimmed is because they are 1)planted too close to the driveway/walkway and encroaching on it 2)planted too close to the house or 3)the CM's are planted too close together too begin with. I never really thought about it but when you said improper location and I thought about where the CM's were on my clients yards I realized that they really do need to be pruned simply because the trees are outgrowing the (incorrect) spot in which they were planted. Just a thought to keep in mind for next time someone asks me to plant some CM"s along the sides of their driveway. Thanks hoylebros!!

hoylebros
03-02-2010, 09:43 PM
No problem! I see that you're from Columbia...my dad is from there!