PDA

View Full Version : Need to get my CA Contractors License - Anyone have study books?

MowinginEureka
02-10-2010, 03:00 AM
Hey, well, I did a couple jobs that were a little over my 500$ limit and I really do not want to do that knowing its only a 500$ dollar limit...not 750 like a (incorrect) contractor friend of mine told me. So, now time to get legal. I have my California Spray license, so legal there, but now I want to get my Landscape Contractors license. I have been looking at some course websites like http://www.contractorslicensingschools.com/ and http://www.contractorschool.com/index.html
But I was wondering if anyone here has study materials for the C-27 Contractors License Landscape test, as well as the laws. I would be willing to pay for them if someone wants money for them. Also, any advice would be helpful! Thanks.

MowinginEureka
02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
To the top. Anyone?

1idejim
02-14-2010, 05:51 PM
Hey, well, I did a couple jobs that were a little over my 500$ limit and I really do not want to do that knowing its only a 500$ dollar limit...not 750 like a (incorrect) contractor friend of mine told me. So, now time to get legal. I have my California Spray license, so legal there, but now I want to get my Landscape Contractors license. I have been looking at some course websites like http://www.contractorslicensingschools.com/ and http://www.contractorschool.com/index.html
But I was wondering if anyone here has study materials for the C-27 Contractors License Landscape test, as well as the laws. I would be willing to pay for them if someone wants money for them. Also, any advice would be helpful! Thanks.

so we meet again, dude.

the state has information about schools and as soon you apply you will recieve a lot of info from schools, i really wish you the best of luck on the test.

jim

ARGOS
02-17-2010, 01:23 AM
I have been looking at some course websites like http://www.contractorslicensingschools.com/ and http://www.contractorschool.com/index.html
But I was wondering if anyone here has study materials for the C-27 Contractors License Landscape test, as well as the laws.

I am open to correction, but I am pretty sure that those schools keep a really tight reign on their intellectual assets. That is all they have. So, they do not allow any study material out of their school. Basically sign up and take their classes if you want the info.

There is always the conventional route of going to the public library and boning up on the current contractor laws and the requirements of the C27.

MowinginEureka
02-17-2010, 03:11 AM
If you go to the websites, most of those types of programs offer a stand-alone at home study kit or study materials before you go to the actual course. When I attended the classes for my state certification for my spray license, you are allowed to keep all the information for study purposes. I will probably end up ordering one of the study kits.

1idejim
02-18-2010, 12:20 AM
good luck on the test

MowinginEureka
02-18-2010, 12:31 AM
Meh, apparently I do not quite have enough experience. I rely on my experience wiring neon signs and doing septic plumbing to do sprinkler systems...but apparently, that does not count towards a C-27...even though it is fairly relevant. I need about 1 more year of experience, unless I lie on my app and make up some under the table experience that I don't have. Sucks. Hard to get legal when the government puts those types of limits. Oh well, I will wait. I used to mow some yards when I was painting like 8 years ago, but I somehow think that does not count. Whats so irritating, is I have a landscape job I could totally do right now, its a new maintenance customer of mine who simply got taken by a actual contractor. I could have done a better job putting in this sprinkler system and the beds he barked...oh jeez. Micro bark, didnt lower the level of the beds, they sit level with the grass and sidewalk. When it rains, bark everywhere. 8 months later, there is huge clumps of grass and weeds growing right through the plastic weedmat he installed. Ugh...the sprinkler does not have even coverage...he has nozzles shooting uphill, sitting once every 5 feet...but nothing to overlap. So...around the sprinkler head, brown. The trenches he dug sunk because he didnt backfill them with dirt and water and compact them. He didnt even put in grass seed over the dirt...They are growing straight weeds. 3 grand she paid...she got her moneys worth, an extra 700 dollars or so and it would have been done right. Lovely. Ugh. Well, thanks anyhow. I will use this time to study and attend some classes.

ARGOS
02-19-2010, 02:01 AM
Meh, apparently I do not quite have enough experience. I rely on my experience wiring neon signs and doing septic plumbing to do sprinkler systems...but apparently, that does not count towards a C-27...even though it is fairly relevant.

Ugh...the sprinkler does not have even coverage...he has nozzles shooting uphill, sitting once every 5 feet...but nothing to overlap. So...around the sprinkler head, brown. The trenches he dug sunk because he didnt backfill them with dirt and water and compact them.

I would have to disagree that wiring neon signs and doing septic plumbing are acceptable experience for irrigation systems. I haven't done neon signs, but I have a lot of drainage experience (which is similar to septic) and drainage experience doesn't hurt, I can't say it helps beyond trench digging and backfill. Irrigation is a trade that has its own requirements.

With that it is obvious you get the concept of head to head coverage (every 5 feet?), etc. I am a little confused by what you mean by "he didn't backfill them with dirt and water and compact them"? Did you mean sand? What did he back fill with?

MowinginEureka
02-19-2010, 10:49 PM
What I was referring to is the problem that happens when you fill a hole/trench back in. The compaction is never quite the same and a lot of times, if you just pour dirt back in your trenches, and make it flat or even mounded, they can sink. So, what I do, is I block off legs of the trenches with dirt and fill say a 20 foot long section 1/4 with water, then you start putting the dirt in and add small amounts of water as I go...as the dirt absorbs the water, it naturally compacts and settles. Then I do that to the whole setup. Let it sit overnight, come back with a sledge hammer and pound it flat (not with the hammer end), to get the desired compaction. Then cover with grass seed and then generous amounts of compost. Set sprinkler system to come on once in morning and once in afternoon for short periods of time to not puddle near the grass seed for two weeks. Then back to a normal irrigation schedule. This in my view is the proper way to do things. It always looks good for years afterwards. But, other people simply stuff the dirt back in, sometimes stamping one area down less (but with less dirt) and another area more (with more dirt) or vice versa and you end up with either mounds that dont settle or areas that sink and have to be redone. Also, on the heads I was just shooting an number. I think they are PS04-10's set every 10 feet up a narrow strip to a 180 degree coverage all shooting towards the same direction but leaving dry spots due to improper setup. Its hard for me to explain it properly. Anyhow, I will probably toss a few sprinklers halfway inbetween aimed from the other way for proper coverage in the spring. Eh, and I do have experience in sprinkler systems, I was just saying I "rely on my experience from wiring neon signs and doing septic" as in I was relying on that to count towards my four years...But alas, I only have 3 years of experience directly from landscape. But I learned quite a lot from septic repair and neon sign work that I do use towards doing sprinklers. Anyhow, if I could get my contractors license I could justify going to classes at the local college or going to a trade seminar a few hours away to learn more about proper sprinkler installation. Just makes it kinda hard when there are all these guys doing installs illegally, or doing them legally, but just plain incorrectly or shoddy. I wish I could get a piece of that, but I pass them on to someone else. Blah blah blah, boo hoo me. I will get over it. Thanks anyhow, I will just like I said take the time to do some more studying.

1idejim
02-19-2010, 11:59 PM
i really wish you the best of luck