PDA

View Full Version : Mulch Kit?

BeeCreekLawns
02-10-2010, 09:43 PM
I am just starting out and will be buying a 32" wb fixed deck to go with a 21" wb. Just wanted to get some opinions on adding a mulch kit. I don't plan on bagging (my 21" doesn't have bagger either). I heard these could cause problems. Anyone??

mowerbrad
02-11-2010, 12:10 AM
If you're going to be cutting grass that is wet and long, then the mulch kit will cause nothing but clumps. But if your maintaining properties weekly then the mulch kit should be okay. The main issue with mulch kits, is clumping which is usually caused by wet grass and long grass. Also, some mowers mulch better than others, it depends on the mowing deck the mower has. I'm not too sure what other problems you have heard of, but thats about all I know of.

BeeCreekLawns
02-11-2010, 01:52 AM
I heard it puts stress on other parts of mower?? Are these not very common? I really don't plan on bagging so that is why I figured I might need it but I guess that might not be the case. I am sure weekly customers wouldn't be a problem, but bi-weekly??? Also, what about when there are leaves? Someone mentioned to not put mulching kit on and use a rubber flap to block shoot when leaves are present. I appreciate the input.

Valk
02-11-2010, 10:31 AM
As stated, there are ideal mulching conditions/times...then there's the other 60-80% of the time when it will be a headache or worse. Lush Spring growth sux. Dewey morning's are a drag. Over fertilized lawns are a nightmare when mulching.

A mulch kit is more than a side-discharge blocker as it basically aims to make each blade an independent mower through attempted blade/cutting-area separation, so to speak. If you want to side-discharge properly, then the whole kit needs to be removed...though, this may be different depending on the mower.

I don't know about your regional grasses down there, but up here I side-discharge almost everything (95%+)...and cutting turf TALL makes it happen VERY smoothly - as the clippings will be seemingly absorbed. Even lawns cut every 2 weeks do well...though they must NOT receive any fertilizer for this mowing schedule.

BeeCreekLawns
02-11-2010, 11:36 AM
Sounds like I don't need the mulch kit. Thanks.