PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor Track Lighting

jshimmin
02-11-2010, 08:16 AM
I'm doing a sign station like you would see holding maps at a hiking trail head. While the fixtures would not be exposed directly to the elements, I like the idea of a track light fixture that offers easily adjusted aiming. I'm looking for a track light system that is outdoor rated.
Has anyone seen or used anything like this?

This will be done with some LED MR-16's with 60 degree optics.

Lite4
02-11-2010, 08:19 AM
Why not just build a small top over the signage and use some adjustable LV recessed 3" cans.* Folks are less likely to mess with em.* I can just see some kid banging away at your track lights with a stick he picked up along the trail.

jshimmin
02-11-2010, 08:29 AM
That was my first thought, but it is all done with rough cut oak and nowhere to really hide the recessed fixture. It's in a private, high end mountain subdivision so I'm not to worried about vandalism.

Lite4
02-11-2010, 08:36 AM
gotcha, you might use a Unique Probe or Stellar with the OSM base. Drill a hole in the top to receive the 1/2" threads of the base and just screw it into the wood and run your wire out the top. You will then have an adjustable fixture with a clean mounting from the underside. You could also use their round mounting base to mount it with also. Important, be sure to fill up the fixture base with plenty of 100% silicone as it will be susceptible to water intrusion while hanging upside down.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-12-2010, 08:14 AM
I dont know of any traditional track lighting system that is rated for outdoors or wet locations.

I would just build my own using bullets, mounts, and a frame. Once you have it set for the sign you should not really need to adjust or re-set it.

irrig8r
02-12-2010, 11:59 AM
I dont know of any traditional track lighting system that is rated for outdoors or wet locations.

I would just build my own using bullets, mounts, and a frame. Once you have it set for the sign you should not really need to adjust or re-set it.

I encountered some "outdoor track lighting" at a customer's house once. The transformers were labelled Luma... not sure if the fixtures were the same brand. Installed in the mid 90's. Downlights were waterlogged... finish was peeling. Not good quality, but an interesting concept.

irrig8r
02-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Found it.

Not Luma Lighting, but Luma After-Sunset, apparently a Ruud brand.

www.ruudlighting.com/literature/catalog_pdf_files/INTRO-Land-cat.pdf

irrig8r
02-12-2010, 12:33 PM
http://www.ruudlightingdirect.com/literature/landscape_products.asp?mscssid=&conid=&dc=9&vt=12&fc=t12

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-12-2010, 12:47 PM
The main difference that I can see here, without an available spec sheet, is that the track heads apparently clip to the track on the sides. Other than that it looks like normal track. I guess they just went the extra distance and had it wet location approved.

For outdoors, I would still be tempted to build my own solution with better quality components