PDA

View Full Version : 7.3L powerstroke

mowerbrad
02-11-2010, 01:08 PM
I had been mainly focusing on getting a duramax, but after talking with my mechanic, he was saying that those are very expensive to repair. The example he used was if the water pump needed to be replaced, I'd spend $1000 for the duramax but only $350ish for my 6.5 diesel now. So that started to get me a little nervous about what I would be getting into with a duramax. So now, I'm starting to really consider 7.3L powerstrokes, mainly 2001-2003's (and yes I know not all 2003's have the 7.3 in them).

I guess now I am trying to figure out a little more about the 7.3 powerstrokes. Are they as expensive to repair as the duramax engines? Do the engines last long, 250,000 miles or more with good maintenance? I'd be looking at ones with 90k-130k for miles on them. I've got to know, are these in general good engines? Anything that I should look for on them or anything that they are notorious for?

TXNSLighting
02-11-2010, 01:16 PM
They are fantastic engines. Ive got 2 now. One with 150k and one with 235k. No issues out of either of them. the big issue was the CPS. But there was a nice recall on them, and they got it fixed. So if you find one, it should have the new one. 02 and 03 7.3's were super reliable and had great power. 01's had tranny issues, but they should be corrected with the miles youre looking at. But yeh its a 300k mile+ engine. Pretty easy to work on also, so repair costs arent as bad as a duramax, or a 6.0 stroke. some will also spring oil leaks later in age, but neither of mine have. so its not guaranteed. Just keep the oil changed every 5-6k and the air filter clean and youll be set! Also fuel filter every 15k.

stroker51
02-11-2010, 02:34 PM
Texan has it right on, I have 3 7.3's, 112k, 125k, and 240k, great trucks. With those miles on a super duty about all you would really need to worry about would be ball joints, it seems like around 100k they need replaced. With an intake, exhaust and a decent chip they will be about as powerful as a 6.0 in my experience. I just let an 03 7.3 with 80k slip through my fingers last week, was messin around getting stuff ready for a snow, fixing a few things etc. and didnt get it bought....still kicking myself over that.

mowerbrad
02-11-2010, 02:54 PM
Well once I found out how much repairs cost on duramax's, I started to rethink my idea of going with a duramax. I don't want to get myself into a money pit on what would be my "new" truck. And when I look at prices of these trucks, I can get a 2002 ext. cab 4x4 with about 110k on it, for roughly $13k, they are priced much better than the duramax trucks. So I actually think a 7.3 will be my next truck.

What are you guys getting for MPG's with your's?

SIWEL
02-11-2010, 03:00 PM
I have 3 7.3L engines for my company. One has 205, 170, and 70,000 miles. Overall they have been good trucks. Ford does have the reputation of having unreliable transmissions, but the 'newer' 1999-2003 trucks should be more figured out. The 7.3L is def. a 400,000+ motor. I do not plan on getting rid of any of my trucks, no matter the miles, before it is there time. Change the oil every 5,000 miles. Check the oil pan, they have a tendency of rotting out. The motor will most likely outlast the truck with normal PM. Every brand has expensive parts to replace vs. cheap parts. It depends on the truck. The 7.3 is very straight forward and simple compared to the duramaxes. I was a mechanic and have worked on both a lot and chose ford for a reason.

Gravel Rat
02-11-2010, 03:08 PM
Any diesel engine is expensive to fix doesn't matter which brand. I never did like the idea of aluminum heads on a diesel like the duramax has they seem to work but :confused:

Chevy trucks can be a maintenance pig when it comes to the front suspension sure the A arm system rides nice but your dealing with a h*ll of alot more moving parts. The older Fords even the newer Fords like the 05 and newer are simple aswell.

Chevs you have 8 A arm bushings you have 4 ball joints and something like 5 tie rod ends all waiting to cost you big money.

I prefer Fords myself its all I will own because the trucks themselves are better built and for myself the Ford dealer is the best to deal with when you need OEM parts.

I own a 6.0 I also prefer the 6.0 over the 7.3 I have had a 7.3 yes it was a decent engine but its no where near the power a 6.0 has. I have had good luck with my 03 6.0 I bought a 06 6.0 and its been good so far.

Where I live and what your putting your truck through everyday a 7.3 PSD life span is MAX 350,000 kms (218,000 miles) anything after that be lucky your not into a engine rebuild. There are a few around with 400,000kms (249,000 miles) but like I said a few.

The 6.5 diesels around here usually have a lifespan of 250,000kms (156,000 miles) and 5.9 Cummins 12 valves last about the same as a 7.3 PSD your not going to get much more than 400,000 kilometers out of a 12 valve.

So anyhow yes the 7.3 is good just make sure you buy a truck has has been looked after and the oil changed at the right intervals.

farmboy1285
02-11-2010, 03:10 PM
The older the truck the cheaper the parts, I can get a new injector for our 6.9 diesel for like $25 vs god knows what for newer truck. I don't have any experience with the 7.3 PS but I here good things If I even get some of my projects knocked out I would love a 7.3 turbo IDI or a 7.3 PS.

TXNSLighting
02-11-2010, 03:33 PM
My 2000 has got the 4:10 rear end, so it only gets 16 mpg hwy, but tows like a beast. the 96 reb cab LB 2wd will get 21-22 mpg hwy, and my other 7.3's have averaged 19 hwy.

mowerbrad
02-11-2010, 03:38 PM
I'm hoping I will get the 3:73 rear end so I can get the higher MPG's, as that is one of my goals with the new truck.

I'm pretty used to the repair costs of diesels as I've had my 6.5 for the last 4 years. But I don't want to get into something that is going to be too much more to repair than my 6.5. But yet, I'm hoping I won't have to spend as much as I have been spending on my 6.5. I just don't want to be spending what I would be with a duramax. And I have heard good things about the 7.3L so it seems like a better option.

TXNSLighting
02-11-2010, 03:41 PM
I'm hoping I will get the 3:73 rear end so I can get the higher MPG's, as that is one of my goals with the new truck.

I'm pretty used to the repair costs of diesels as I've had my 6.5 for the last 4 years. But I don't want to get into something that is going to be too much more to repair than my 6.5. But yet, I'm hoping I won't have to spend as much as I have been spending on my 6.5. I just don't want to be spending what I would be with a duramax. And I have heard good things about the 7.3L so it seems like a better option.

yep, if you find one. Run power sevices through it every 3 or 4 tanks, and that will keep the injectors clean.

Brad Ent
02-11-2010, 03:45 PM
7.3 is great engine!! As mentioned before, beware of rust /scale on the oil pan.

mowerbrad
02-11-2010, 03:56 PM
yep, if you find one. Run power sevices through it every 3 or 4 tanks, and that will keep the injectors clean.

My current truck gets powerservice additive every tank. I've considered putting a little 2-cycle oil in the tank to help lubricate better, but I haven't tried it yet.

7.3 is great engine!! As mentioned before, beware of rust /scale on the oil pan.

This may be a dumb question, but how much would it cost to have the oil pan replaced?

SIWEL
02-11-2010, 04:05 PM
um....

The pan is cheap....

But you need to pull the motor. Around 2 grand i believe. It is relatively simple, just time consuming. Its also a good time to do other important fixes like glo plugs/exhaust manifolds and up pipes while the engine is sitting on a stand. Just look for one with a good pan on it and you will be all set.

mowerbrad
02-11-2010, 10:14 PM
So I will make sure the truck has a good oil pan.

Anything else I should be looking for?

Mowingman
02-11-2010, 10:23 PM
The 7.3 Powerstroke engine will probably go down in history as the best diesel engine ever used in a pickup truck of any brand. They are very troublefree and can easily last 500,000 miles
I have owned 14 of them, all purchased with over 225,000 miles on them, and used them daily with no problems.
Many of them I later sold to friends. They all are still going strong, and most have well over 300,000 miles on them. In fact, recently I bought one of them back again. It is now my daily driver, and has 331,000 miles on it. Still runs great and has lots of power.
You can not go wrong with a 7.3 Powerstroke that has been serviced regularly.

unkownfl
02-11-2010, 10:30 PM
Good engine bad transmission unless you find a manual. Why are you stuck on a diesel anyway? I have one and to be honest its not worth what you pay for. The margin between diesel and gas in price is going to continue to increase.

outlaw1960
02-11-2010, 10:41 PM
I have 3 7.3L engines for my company. One has 205, 170, and 70,000 miles. Overall they have been good trucks. Ford does have the reputation of having unreliable transmissions, but the 'newer' 1999-2003 trucks should be more figured out. The 7.3L is def. a 400,000+ motor. I do not plan on getting rid of any of my trucks, no matter the miles, before it is there time. Change the oil every 5,000 miles. Check the oil pan, they have a tendency of rotting out. The motor will most likely outlast the truck with normal PM. Every brand has expensive parts to replace vs. cheap parts. It depends on the truck. The 7.3 is very straight forward and simple compared to the duramaxes. I was a mechanic and have worked on both a lot and chose ford for a reason.

Good post, I have two 7.3l as well, 1 has 280,000 miles, the other has 113,000 miles. Good maintenance and common sense driving they have been trouble free. Cps recall and fuel bowl o-rings are the only motor related issues I have had, had to replace ball joints on both at about 110,000 miles, common issue. Both of mine are 2000 models....auto trans on the 113,000 truck is getting weak though, the standard is good....hth

WH401
02-11-2010, 10:48 PM
The 7.3 Powerstroke engine will probably go down in history as the best diesel engine ever used in a pickup truck of any brand. They are very troublefree and can easily last 500,000 miles
I have owned 14 of them, all purchased with over 225,000 miles on them, and used them daily with no problems.
Many of them I later sold to friends. They all are still going strong, and most have well over 300,000 miles on them. In fact, recently I bought one of them back again. It is now my daily driver, and has 331,000 miles on it. Still runs great and has lots of power.
You can not go wrong with a 7.3 Powerstroke that has been serviced regularly.

I beg differ, and I know others will too. No doubt the 7.3 was a good engine, probably the best diesel engine ever put in a Ford. But best diesel engine ever used in a pick up of any brand?, no way. You forget about the 5.9 Cummins. Just look at the life the 5.9 had in Dodge pickups, a life that spanned almost 20 years. As far as reliability, towing ability, and overall power, the 5.9 can't be beat.

Looking back at the 7.3 it was a good engine, but far from being the best ever. The 94 - 97's had glow plug and relay issues that kept them from being able to start in cold weather; all the models from 94 - 03 had problems with crank position sensors that kept them from running; the HPOP method of fuel injection is highly complicated and flawed because the oil doesn't naturally circulate as well as it properly should, not to mention it sheers oil like no other; they get no where near the fuel economy when compared to the 5.9 or 6.6 Duramax; it's design of using glow plugs to start is flawed because plugs become fouled from combustion and they eventually need to be replaced, not to mention this system isn't as effective as a grid heater...anything else?

Personally, I own a 7.3 in an 01' Excursion and it's been a great engine. But it's no where near the best engine ever. The 5.9 is a simpler, more reliable, and more economical engine, simple put.

mowerbrad
02-11-2010, 10:48 PM
Again this may be a stupid question....how expensive are the ball joints to replace?

Mowingman
02-11-2010, 10:55 PM
I have owned Dodge trucks with the Cummins and Ford trucks with the 7.3. While the Cummins is very good, I will stick with the 7.3 Powerstroke.
I have always thought that Cummins in a Ford F250 or F350 would be great.
It MIGHT be better than the 7.3. too bad we will never know.

unkownfl
02-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Wh401 if we are talking about all brands there is no way a Cummins is the best hands down lol. Your forgetting the other side of the globe.

unkownfl
02-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Again this may be a stupid question....how expensive are the ball joints to replace?

Depends on how many your doing at a time.

mowerbrad
02-11-2010, 11:04 PM
Depends on how many your doing at a time.

Lets just say, price per ball joint...just looking for a rough price.

unkownfl
02-11-2010, 11:11 PM
I don't know about per but we charge about 300-500 for the four of them thats just labor. ball joints can be bought from 100 for four to 100 each.

TXNSLighting
02-11-2010, 11:47 PM
man ive only had to replace one tranny in a 7.3. and that was cuz i put a 120 hp programmer on it.i dont know where some of yal are comin up with the tranny is the weak point. you must be thinkin dodge.
Posted via Mobile Device

unkownfl
02-11-2010, 11:52 PM
man ive only had to replace one tranny in a 7.3. and that was cuz i put a 120 hp programmer on it.i dont know where some of yal are comin up with the tranny is the weak point. you must be thinkin dodge.
Posted via Mobile Device

Well The company I worked for Pike Electric Inc. had about 1000 trucks. All were used for towing and most of the foreman trucks were autos. They all seemed to start pouring fluid out or slipping gears around 100k. Rear mains leaked around 150k but overall the engines never gave much problem. We then got a bunch of newer 6.0's the first batch was all 04's every single one of them had head issues , egr , and oil cooler problems. Next batch of 6.0's 05 and later never had much issues with again. I had a squirt boom auto 7.3 think it was a 01 with 300k miles on it. It was on its 2nd replaced transmission and never towed anything. Keep in mind the Engine had more hours then a normally driven 300,000 mile truck as we have to run the engine in order to work out of the bucket (Power take off unit).

TXNSLighting
02-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Ball joints are pretty cheap around here i guess. They havent gone out on my 2000 yet, but i asked for future reference and it would be $400 bucks to replace them all.

Mowingman
02-12-2010, 09:02 AM
My experience with dodge and ford trucks towing heavily loaded trailers on a daily basis
Ford F250/F350 diesel/Auto trans: All 14 purchased with over 225,000 miles and all maint. records. Every truck had an auto. trans. replaced between 160,000 and 200,000. No trans. troubles after that, through 330,000 miles, so far.
Dodge 2500 diesel/auto trans: Three, purchased brand new. Every trans. cratered at less than 75,000 miles. Got rid of all of them before 100,000, so no history after that.

WH401
02-12-2010, 09:39 AM
Wh401 if we are talking about all brands there is no way a Cummins is the best hands down lol. Your forgetting the other side of the globe.

Where in my post did I say that the 5.9 was the best diesel engine ever put in a pick up? No where.:hammerhead: I simply stated that MowingMan's argument is highly flawed.

If you want to argue about the "other side of the globe" than I'd take it up with MowingMan as he seems to think that Detroit is the only one that make trucks. But last time I checked, the "other side of the globe" has never marketed a 3/4 or 1-ton truck with a diesel engine, so the argument is mute to begin with.

Mowingman
02-12-2010, 11:40 AM
I am only comparing Ford, Chevy, and Dodge, and their diesel options. Not talking about other makes around the world.

unkownfl
02-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Where in my post did I say that the 5.9 was the best diesel engine ever put in a pick up? No where.:hammerhead: I simply stated that MowingMan's argument is highly flawed.

If you want to argue about the "other side of the globe" than I'd take it up with MowingMan as he seems to think that Detroit is the only one that make trucks. But last time I checked, the "other side of the globe" has never marketed a 3/4 or 1-ton truck with a diesel engine, so the argument is mute to begin with.

Reread your post in this thread section #18.

Valk
02-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Does any brand of diesel truck fair better when doing all this starting-and-stopping that many/most LCOs do? Seems that a diesel's forte is for longer distance hauling...and for putting on a LOT of annual miles?

I've got a customer with a '97 F250 7.3 that hauls a big sleep-over-the-cab camper in the bed...an aerodynamic nightmare! The whole rig is around 11k lbs loaded. He's got ~312,000 miles & nearly all those miles with that camper on it. He says he can sometimes get 21mpg w/ no camper...and he averages around 11-12mpg (occasionally 14mpg) with the loaded camper on and with mostly hwy miles doing 55-60mph.

WH401
02-12-2010, 02:30 PM
Reread your post in this thread section #18.

I typed it, I know what it says, but apparently you need to reread my post as I never said the 5.9 was the best diesel engine ever put in a pick up. I simply said that MowingMan stating that the 7.3 was the best engine ever put in a pick up was a flawed opinion.

unkownfl
02-12-2010, 02:44 PM
I typed it, I know what it says, but apparently you need to reread my post as I never said the 5.9 was the best diesel engine ever put in a pick up. I simply said that MowingMan stating that the 7.3 was the best engine ever put in a pick up was a flawed opinion.

Now your just being ignorant "No doubt the 7.3 was a good engine, probably the best diesel engine ever put in a Ford. But best diesel engine ever used in a pick up of any brand?, no way. You forget about the 5.9 Cummins. Just look at the life the 5.9 had in Dodge pickups, a life that spanned almost 20 years. As far as reliability, towing ability, and overall power, the 5.9 can't be beat"(WH401 post #18).

esnipe8
02-12-2010, 07:36 PM
207,000 on my 7.3 Crew cab 4x4. Best truck ever, period. Bulletproof. Not one issue.

OhioMowerGuy
02-12-2010, 09:12 PM
3 of the guys I know with 7.3s have all had transmission problems, glow plugs, glow plug relays, injectors, ball joints, CPS and oil pan issues. My 04 duramax has over 105k miles and 5100 hours on the meter and the motor and transmission have never been touched, ball joints are still fine after 6 years of plowing and I dont have a little plow either. With that being said If your heart is set on a ford get a 7.3

mowerbrad
02-12-2010, 10:39 PM
My heart was pretty set on a duramax as of about a week or two ago. Then after doing some more "digging" I found out how much the costs to repair a duramax are, and started rethinking it. My mechanics said that a 7.3 powerstroke is a good engine and much "cheaper" to repair than a duramax (thats all relative to diesels though). The fact that the repair costs are less than a duramax make me feel a little better about the engine too.

The one that that I really like on the duramax trucks is the allison tranny. I wish I could get an Allison on a ford. I hear of very little problems with Allisons and they have a very good reputation. But I don't hear that many tranny problems with fords either so, I have to consider that. And I won't really be putting much strain on a tranny either.

OhioMowerGuy
02-12-2010, 10:57 PM
All diesels are expensive to work on. The only thing im aware of that is pricey on a duramax are injectors that commonly went out in 01-early 04s

Moto52
02-13-2010, 10:26 AM
The 7.3 is the best motor ford has ever had in there trucks, all you need is a cold are intake 4'' turbo back exhaust and a DP tuner and it will have more power then a stock duramax, cummins and 6.0 ford. I've got an 02 7.3 with 350,000kms which it has not been babied all its life tows lots and still original powertrain.

HLnick
02-13-2010, 01:09 PM
i have 3 7.3. a 99 350 dump just did the tranny its got 132,000 on it, i was plowing in 2wd for 3 snow storms. a 99 550 dump with 118 and a 2000 550 dump with 120 all run good better than my 04 450 dump with a 6.0 it has 85,000 has more power loaded and pulling a trailer but had to fix a lot more than the 7.3

mowerbrad
02-13-2010, 08:54 PM
I keep changing my mind on things but I think I finally have it narrowed down between two vehicles. The first is the 2000-2003 Ford F250 7.3 powerstroke ext. cab. And the other is a 2003-2005 Chevy 1500 5.3 v8 gaser ext. cab. I know that with the powerstroke, I won't really have to worry about trailers that are too heavy or not having enough power. But yet any repair will be pretty pricy. And with the 1500 I don't have the towing capacity of a diesel (not that I really tow too heavy of loads right now) but the repairs should be much cheaper than a diesel. I just don't know if I want to lose the capacities by stepping down to a 1/2 ton truck.

unkownfl
02-14-2010, 08:04 PM
The 7.3 is the best motor ford has ever had in there trucks, all you need is a cold are intake 4'' turbo back exhaust and a DP tuner and it will have more power then a stock duramax, cummins and 6.0 ford. I've got an 02 7.3 with 350,000kms which it has not been babied all its life tows lots and still original powertrain.

What are you smoking dude. A 7.3 with CAI, tuner, and full exhaust won't be faster then a 6.0, 5.9, or a duramax.

stroker51
02-14-2010, 11:44 PM
A decently set up 7.3 will no doubt outrun/outpull a stock 6.0 or 5.9....I've done it in both my 96 and 01. K&N intakes, edge evolution programmers, and turbo back straight pipes. I'm talking lightly modded 7.3 to stock 6.0/5.9's as I think the topic was mentioned.

unkownfl
02-15-2010, 12:25 AM
Out pull yes, but out run I doubt it. The 6.0 has such a nice curve compared to a tuned 7.3. Yes the 7.3 might make more power peak to peak with the 6.0 being stock, but the curve is so peaky and short it will not outrun the 6.0 stock. You may get one from a roll but not both trucks from a dig just because of the variable veins in the turbo on the 6.0. I have spent many hours at SCT, Superchips, diablo, and delta force as all of them are about 15 minutes from my house and they often need donor vehicles as I have donated 5 cars for almost each of them to tune.

Moto52
02-15-2010, 09:03 AM
What are you smoking dude. A 7.3 with CAI, tuner, and full exhaust won't be faster then a 6.0, 5.9, or a duramax.

I'm not smoking anything I've personally raced them with my truck and beat them. my dad and two of my friends have duramaxs and i even beat my friends 06 duramax that had full turbo back exhaust and banks ram air intake but stock programing. and my other buddy has an 05 dodge ram cummins and my truck spanks it really bad...

Moto52
02-15-2010, 09:05 AM
Out pull yes, but out run I doubt it. The 6.0 has such a nice curve compared to a tuned 7.3. Yes the 7.3 might make more power peak to peak with the 6.0 being stock, but the curve is so peaky and short it will not outrun the 6.0 stock. You may get one from a roll but not both trucks from a dig just because of the variable veins in the turbo on the 6.0. I have spent many hours at SCT, Superchips, diablo, and delta force as all of them are about 15 minutes from my house and they often need donor vehicles as I have donated 5 cars for almost each of them to tune.

have you driven a 7.3 with a DP tuner? if not you have no idea what your talking about a stock 6.0 is like 3 truck lengths behind me at 90mph

TGM
02-15-2010, 10:40 AM
you guys can't compare a modified 7.3 to STOCK vehicles. :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

for example, my 04 cummins with a smarty will outrun any 7.3 with a tuner. why? because a 7.3 can't make 430 rwhp with just a tuner. and a 6.0 with a good tuner will beat any 7.3 hands down. stock 7.3 powder rods can't reliably handle over 400 rear wheel horsepower anyways.

i prefer cummins. easy to modify, has more longevity than the other motors. however, if you're not into hot rodding, find whatever you like and run it. they all have their own set of problems

Moto52
02-15-2010, 10:46 AM
you guys can't compare a modified 7.3 to STOCK vehicles. :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

for example, my 04 cummins with a smarty will outrun any 7.3 with a tuner. why? because a 7.3 can't make 430 rwhp with just a tuner. and a 6.0 with a good tuner will beat any 7.3 hands down. stock 7.3 powder rods can't reliably handle over 400 rear wheel horsepower anyways.

i prefer cummins. easy to modify, has more longevity than the other motors. however, if you're not into hot rodding, find whatever you like and run it. they all have their own set of problems

Yes I know a 7.3 will not beat tuned cummins or duramax that has nothing to do with this thread, the guy doesn't want to spend alot of money on a truck so for 10 to 12 grand you can get a pretty good superduty with a 7.3 and do those few mods to it and it will do anything a stock 40,000 dollar truck will do so thats what i'm trying to say here.

stroker51
02-15-2010, 11:14 AM
That is my typical arguement, as mentioned above. I'm a Ford guy, but the 6.0 just scares me, I'm needing to get another truck, and there is an 06 with 25k miles at a dealership in town I would love to have. But as far as doing any tuning to them......I've always been told by a few guys that work on them, to keep em stock and service them regular if you want them to last...so until there is a compelling arguement the other way, 7.3's seem pretty good to me. Good tuning, upgraded hpop, injectors, turbo, you've got a truck capable a whole lot for not much money if you get the truck itself bought right.

TGM
02-15-2010, 11:24 AM
6.0's aren't bad, but they need help. the two biggest things are to put head studs in it and get rid of the EGR cooler system.

this video will help http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW7JEHLYyJ4
(i don't agree with the exhaust portion... you don't need a tuner to put on an exhaust)

Moto52
02-15-2010, 11:37 AM
That is my typical arguement, as mentioned above. I'm a Ford guy, but the 6.0 just scares me, I'm needing to get another truck, and there is an 06 with 25k miles at a dealership in town I would love to have. But as far as doing any tuning to them......I've always been told by a few guys that work on them, to keep em stock and service them regular if you want them to last...so until there is a compelling arguement the other way, 7.3's seem pretty good to me. Good tuning, upgraded hpop, injectors, turbo, you've got a truck capable a whole lot for not much money if you get the truck itself bought right.

I'm a ford guy and I would NEVER buy a 6.0... alot more problems i've seen with those motors then any other motor i've ever heard of, there is a big reason ford is sueing international over that motor.

unkownfl
02-15-2010, 05:13 PM
have you driven a 7.3 with a DP tuner? if not you have no idea what your talking about a stock 6.0 is like 3 truck lengths behind me at 90mph

What are you racing a mile. 90mph is a low 15 second pass now your telling me your truck goes 15's with a tuner cai and exhaust.

Moto52
02-15-2010, 07:27 PM
What are you racing a mile. 90mph is a low 15 second pass now your telling me your truck goes 15's with a tuner cai and exhaust.

i've never had my truck at the track before but i'm sure it could run into the high 15s . my buddys chevy did 16.1 and i can beat his truck.

Turf Commando
02-16-2010, 01:36 PM
7.3 Liter Diesel was the greatest motor Ford ever made ....
The D-max is nice, huge improvement from previous Chevy diesels ...

tony58
02-16-2010, 02:56 PM
I've got a 96 with 318k on the odometer.I had a sorry ass cummins it like to broke me.I had 77k and it went thru two lift and injector pumps @ $2400.00 each time.Dodge or cummins would not stand behind the piece of JUNK.7.3 all the way!!!
Thanks,
tony

mowerbrad
02-16-2010, 04:04 PM
It seems like the 7.3 will be the way to go. I already knew I wasn't going to get a dodge as their trannies suck. The d-max engines are nice, but the ones in my price range have the injector issues and they are really expensive to fix. But the 7.3's seem to be an engine that has good longevity (sp?) and seems to be a little cheaper to fix than the dmax's, more like the price of my 6.5. So, I think I am pretty set on 7.3 for my next truck, I've got a friend that has a 7.3 but I haven't really asked him all about it but I know he likes it. Guess I'll have to talk to him about it a little more.

Gravel Rat
02-16-2010, 04:39 PM
My brother tells me now his transmission is going I'am pretty sure its the second transmission truck has around 140,000 miles he had the lift pump replaced the Dodge dealer charged him over 300 dollars for the part. Injection pump needs replacing. Now he is looking at 4 grand in repairs for his Dodge and he can't afford it.

One thing you are going to notice going from a Chev to a Ford the ride is going to be a little rougher and if your going with a 4x4 Ford better buy a step stool to get in and out of the truck :laugh:

farmboy1285
02-16-2010, 09:24 PM
It seems like the 7.3 will be the way to go. I already knew I wasn't going to get a dodge as their trannies suck. The d-max engines are nice, but the ones in my price range have the injector issues and they are really expensive to fix. But the 7.3's seem to be an engine that has good longevity (sp?) and seems to be a little cheaper to fix than the dmax's, more like the price of my 6.5. So, I think I am pretty set on 7.3 for my next truck, I've got a friend that has a 7.3 but I haven't really asked him all about it but I know he likes it. Guess I'll have to talk to him about it a little more.

How come your wanting out of your 6.5L, besides it being a chevy lol.

mowerbrad
02-16-2010, 09:31 PM
How come your wanting out of your 6.5L, besides it being a chevy lol.

My truck is only a single cab and that is becoming really small. I'm really in need of an ext cab, it would make life a whole lot easier on me. I really want to be able to store more things inside my truck when I need to. When I have my fire gear in my truck now, it makes it a 1 person cab unless I throw the gear in back. I really just need the extra inside storage space.

farmboy1285
02-16-2010, 09:43 PM
My truck is only a single cab and that is becoming really small. I'm really in need of an ext cab, it would make life a whole lot easier on me. I really want to be able to store more things inside my truck when I need to. When I have my fire gear in my truck now, it makes it a 1 person cab unless I throw the gear in back. I really just need the extra inside storage space.

Makes sence, I guess you could get a locking tool box for the bed for you gear and other stuff but still Im sure the extra space would be nice. Plus you gotta be careful with the gear to I new a guy that had his stolen out of his truck one night, the department wasn't to happy.

mowerbrad
02-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Makes sence, I guess you could get a locking tool box for the bed for you gear and other stuff but still Im sure the extra space would be nice. Plus you gotta be careful with the gear to I new a guy that had his stolen out of his truck one night, the department wasn't to happy.

My current truck has a service body on it now, so a tool box is pretty much out of the question. But being able to keep my gear in the cab will be much nicer and not have to lose all my seating space as well. Luckily my truck is parked in my garage at night, I'm mostly worried about when I'm just driving around town. But the extra space is really needed for me.

Moto52
02-17-2010, 10:16 AM
Oh I didn't notice you already have a 6.5 chev diesel. Well I must say you are going to be very impressed with the 7.3, my truck before this one was a 99 chev with the 6.5 diesel and man that motor is gutless couldn't even keep the speed limit going up a 5% grade towing my small trailer. not to mention 2500 dollar injector pumps every 200,000 kms. if you can try to get an 02 or 03 7.3 they have more power then 99-01 7.3s...

mowerbrad
02-17-2010, 10:25 AM
Oh I didn't notice you already have a 6.5 chev diesel. Well I must say you are going to be very impressed with the 7.3, my truck before this one was a 99 chev with the 6.5 diesel and man that motor is gutless couldn't even keep the speed limit going up a 5% grade towing my small trailer. not to mention 2500 dollar injector pumps every 200,000 kms. if you can try to get an 02 or 03 7.3 they have more power then 99-01 7.3s...

My 6.5 has been a pretty big money pit and has only been getting bigger. Its a nice truck when its running but after 2009, I spent way too much on that truck....$4000 in repair costs and nearly $3000 in 2008. And the truck only has 134,000 miles on it!!!! I'm at least glad that the repair costs aren't as high on the 6.5 as on the d-max's.

Have you noticed whether the repair costs are similar between the 6.5 and the 7.3? Not necesarily as much as I spent but just in general repair costs.

Moto52
02-17-2010, 10:45 AM
yea I had tons of repairs over the years on that chev it had and it had 450,000 kms on it when i got rid of it. well my 7.3 has 350,000kms on it right now and it has only had a set of glow plugs once, 20 bucks each so that is nothing. 1 alternator. 1 hydroboost and master cylinder, brake calipers, 1 front wheel bearing, 4x4 hubs seized so i put manual ones in, 1 set of ball joints, power steering pump cooler, that is honestly everything that has gone wrong with this truck in the last 5 years i've owned it

AtoZ
02-17-2010, 05:31 PM
My diesel experience goes back to a 1994 7.3 IDI with about 200,000 miles. I put on about 50,000 miles before the repairs were killing me. One tranny - third one for the truck, glow plugs every other day, relay switches, cracked fuel lines, ball joints, water pumps, a/c pump spun a bearing while driving in Chicago - very costly repair, that was about it. It was probably not maintained the best before I got it but it was my first dump truck...

I must be missing something but unless you have a gas motor in your truck - ANY DIESEL regardless of brand will fail and cost big money to fix. Yes, even Peterbilts break down...

The 7.3 versus a 6.6 Duramax is no more expensive to fix than a 5.9...

They all have faults and they are all expensive to maintain and fix. Over the past 16 years of buying vehicles - I seem to have the best luck when I buy new or lower mileage vehicles, that way I know how they are used and know that they are being maintained properly.

There are basically two rules to follow when buying a used vehicle...

1) Run the Vin number with a corresponding Ford, GM, Dodge dealer to check for warranty repair history, that will give you an idea if it's been a problem child or has been abused...

2) I am amazed that more people don't do this - PULL AN OIL SAMPLE AND GET IT ANALYZED!!! This is like bloodwork on your engine. It will tell you any issues that may be happening such as faulty injectors, dirty air, cavitation of liners and overall life left in your engine. Remember there are many other factors that go into the health of your engine other than just the engine itself. I would never buy a vehicle without first getting the oil analyzed...

Don't drink the 7.3 koolaide like everyone else. I've had several 7.3's over the years and like my 03 6.0 Powerstroke the most. I also own a 5.9 Cummins and a 7.6 DT-466. And previously owned a 6.7 Cummins...

Find a truck you like - Get it inspected, pull an oil sample and keep looking for the one you like - GM, FORD or DODGE. Don't fall for all this engine crap, buy a truck because you like it... But do yur homework...

By the way - I'm looking for a 1999 Powerstroke or a 1995 12V, high mileage and rusty preferred. I want a new tinker toy!!!

T-Made
02-17-2010, 06:27 PM
I sold my 02 GMC Duramax/Alison with 135k miles. Never had a problem. Changed the batteries out after 4-5 years. My recent purchase was a 07 Chev 3500 Duramax/Alison. My next truck will be a Duramax-- Great service--Great power. Two local Ford mechanics here drive GM's with the DMax.

mowerbrad
02-17-2010, 11:21 PM
Like I have said before, I was going to go with a duramax....actually I thought I was dead set on having the dmax/allison truck, but that has since changed. The 7.3 seems to be a "simpler" engine (like my 6.5) which means that the repair costs on it, even though it is a diesel, will be lower than the repair costs on a dmax. The example my mechanic used was if I had to replace a water pump in a duramax it would be a $1000 repair but that same repair would be about half the cost on my 6.5 or even on a 7.3. So that got me thinking about what would be best for me.

I'm very picky about what truck I buy, I want it to be something that I am going to be happy with for many years to come. I take everything into consideration....exterior, engine, interior, frame condition, maintenance records (if available), etc. I just want to make sure that this truck will be the right one for me and last me another 7-10 years. I take good care of my truck, so it will be pretty much "babied" the rest of its life.

I have no doubts that duramax trucks are great trucks, I have seen that first hand. But when it comes down to it, the price range that I am looking in has mostly high mileage trucks. But when I look at the 7.3's, they are within my price range and the miles are 75k less than what I was finding on the d-max's.

Moto52
02-18-2010, 10:46 AM
My diesel experience goes back to a 1994 7.3 IDI with about 200,000 miles. I put on about 50,000 miles before the repairs were killing me. One tranny - third one for the truck, glow plugs every other day, relay switches, cracked fuel lines, ball joints, water pumps, a/c pump spun a bearing while driving in Chicago - very costly repair, that was about it. It was probably not maintained the best before I got it but it was my first dump truck...

I must be missing something but unless you have a gas motor in your truck - ANY DIESEL regardless of brand will fail and cost big money to fix. Yes, even Peterbilts break down...

The 7.3 versus a 6.6 Duramax is no more expensive to fix than a 5.9...

They all have faults and they are all expensive to maintain and fix. Over the past 16 years of buying vehicles - I seem to have the best luck when I buy new or lower mileage vehicles, that way I know how they are used and know that they are being maintained properly.

There are basically two rules to follow when buying a used vehicle...

1) Run the Vin number with a corresponding Ford, GM, Dodge dealer to check for warranty repair history, that will give you an idea if it's been a problem child or has been abused...

2) I am amazed that more people don't do this - PULL AN OIL SAMPLE AND GET IT ANALYZED!!! This is like bloodwork on your engine. It will tell you any issues that may be happening such as faulty injectors, dirty air, cavitation of liners and overall life left in your engine. Remember there are many other factors that go into the health of your engine other than just the engine itself. I would never buy a vehicle without first getting the oil analyzed...

Don't drink the 7.3 koolaide like everyone else. I've had several 7.3's over the years and like my 03 6.0 Powerstroke the most. I also own a 5.9 Cummins and a 7.6 DT-466. And previously owned a 6.7 Cummins...

Find a truck you like - Get it inspected, pull an oil sample and keep looking for the one you like - GM, FORD or DODGE. Don't fall for all this engine crap, buy a truck because you like it... But do yur homework...

By the way - I'm looking for a 1999 Powerstroke or a 1995 12V, high mileage and rusty preferred. I want a new tinker toy!!!

you can't compare your 94 7.3 to the newer ones there completely different.. what do you like so much about you 03 6.0 then the 7.3? how many miles do you have on it??

AtoZ
02-18-2010, 06:57 PM
My 2003 6.0 Powerstroke has about 80,000 miles on it. It's had a few minor issues with it in 2004 & 2004. It had a hot start issue that was resolved with a new PCM update. Several Pcm updates later it runs perfect. The ECM took a crap and shorted out a wiring harness while I was driving with a full load. My Ford dealer replaced the ECM and wiring harness free of charge even though it was out of warranty. That's been it as far as the dreaded 6.0 is concerned. I've had to replace the ball joints with greasable ones at about 50,000 miles. The rear differential was leaking earlier on in life which was taken care of by the dealer. Original tires were replaced at 55,000 miles. The front brakes were replaced with OE rotors and pads in 2007. The rear rotors and pads were replaced in 2008.

I do however make sure I change both fuel filters twice a year. With the 6.0 regular oil changes are a must, every 4,000 miles or have a bypass oil filter... The 6.0 and 7.3 use a very antiquated HEUI Injection System. Very expensive to repair - thus it needs very clean oil to work properly. Ford no longer uses HEUI Injection they switched to Common Rail a couple years ago... Much better setup...

My 6.0 never needs to be plugged in in the winter - it fires right up even at 25 below... Much quieter than any of my 7.3. Tons of turbo power right from the start - no lag... This trucks primary duty is to haul topsoil, gravel and limestone boulders. Depending on where I'm going, it hauls approx. 6-7 tons of material. I only load 6 tons when I go on the highway. 7 ton around town. It handles the weight with no issues. When towing, I regularly gross 30,000 lbs. Heck my buddy pulls a D3 dozer with his truck. I need to reiterate that this has the 19.5" tires and bigger brakes than a 3/4 or 1 ton truck - bigger axles also... When I need to haul bigger loads I use the International which will haul 15 ton loads no problem... The 6.0 has better power and a way better tranny than the 7.3, and so far more reliable than all of my 7.3's... The torqshift tranny is hard to beat for a light duty diesel...

The 6.0 has worked very hard every day for the past 7 years. It hauls on average of 40 tons of material a day. I really work it hard but I also maintain it - that's the difference. If you baby your 6.0 all day you'll probably have EGR problems. Oh I forgot to mention the catalytic converter fell of sometime ago. Too bad...

Unless you find the end all be all of 7.3's, expect to have repairs when it hits the 150,000 mile mark or sooner. Mine all did. Parts only last so long. If your usin' and abusin' plan on some coin around 100,000 miles... After havin' a 6.0 I'd never buy a 7.3 for a work truck unless it was for recreational use...

Oh and buy the way - you might want to check with another wrench man before you get more misinformation. A 7.3 Powerstroke 1999-2003 costs about the same to fix as a late model Duramax... Don't be misled, all you have to do is lookup the parts cost. At the end of the day they all cost the same even a Cummins which is a much simpler design than either of Ford's and GM's V-8's. The 7.3 IH Powerstroke is not simpler than a 6.6 Duramax. They are both V-8's and share similar architecture though the 6.6 would get the nod for a better design and better engineering for the common rail technology it uses...

Moto52
02-18-2010, 07:10 PM
My 2003 6.0 Powerstroke has about 80,000 miles on it. It's had a few minor issues with it in 2004 & 2004. It had a hot start issue that was resolved with a new PCM update. Several Pcm updates later it runs perfect. The ECM took a crap and shorted out a wiring harness while I was driving with a full load. My Ford dealer replaced the ECM and wiring harness free of charge even though it was out of warranty. That's been it as far as the dreaded 6.0 is concerned. I've had to replace the ball joints with greasable ones at about 50,000 miles. The rear differential was leaking earlier on in life which was taken care of by the dealer. Original tires were replaced at 55,000 miles. The front brakes were replaced with OE rotors and pads in 2007. The rear rotors and pads were replaced in 2008.

I do however make sure I change both fuel filters twice a year. With the 6.0 regular oil changes are a must, every 4,000 miles or have a bypass oil filter... The 6.0 and 7.3 use a very antiquated HEUI Injection System. Very expensive to repair - thus it needs very clean oil to work properly. Ford no longer uses HEUI Injection they switched to Common Rail a couple years ago... Much better setup...

My 6.0 never needs to be plugged in in the winter - it fires right up even at 25 below... Much quieter than any of my 7.3. Tons of turbo power right from the start - no lag... This trucks primary duty is to haul topsoil, gravel and limestone boulders. Depending on where I'm going, it hauls approx. 6-7 tons of material. I only load 6 tons when I go on the highway. 7 ton around town. It handles the weight with no issues. When towing, I regularly gross 30,000 lbs. Heck my buddy pulls a D3 dozer with his truck. I need to reiterate that this has the 19.5" tires and bigger brakes than a 3/4 or 1 ton truck - bigger axles also... When I need to haul bigger loads I use the International which will haul 15 ton loads no problem... The 6.0 has better power and a way better tranny than the 7.3, and so far more reliable than all of my 7.3's... The torqshift tranny is hard to beat for a light duty diesel...

The 6.0 has worked very hard every day for the past 7 years. It hauls on average of 40 tons of material a day. I really work it hard but I also maintain it - that's the difference. If you baby your 6.0 all day you'll probably have EGR problems. Oh I forgot to mention the catalytic converter fell of sometime ago. Too bad...

Unless you find the end all be all of 7.3's, expect to have repairs when it hits the 150,000 mile mark or sooner. Mine all did. Parts only last so long. If your usin' and abusin' plan on some coin around 100,000 miles... After havin' a 6.0 I'd never buy a 7.3 for a work truck unless it was for recreational use...

Oh and buy the way - you might want to check with another wrench man before you get more misinformation. A 7.3 Powerstroke 1999-2003 costs about the same to fix as a late model Duramax... Don't be misled, all you have to do is lookup the parts cost. At the end of the day they all cost the same even a Cummins which is a much simpler design than either of Ford's and GM's V-8's. The 7.3 IH Powerstroke is not simpler than a 6.6 Duramax. They are both V-8's and share similar architecture though the 6.6 would get the nod for a better design and better engineering for the common rail technology it uses...

the torqueshift tranny didnt come out until 2005 so i dont know how you think you have on in an 03? it has the 4R100 which is the same tranny i got in my truck.

I don't think i have the end all be all 7.3 i know of tons of them with alot more miles then i have with no major problems.. but i honestly think you are very very very lucky so far to have no problems that motor.

AtoZ
02-18-2010, 07:22 PM
The Torqshift tranny is mated to all 6.0 Powerstrokes. The first 6.0 appeared in mid 2003 along with the Torqshift Tranny... Do some fact checking...

Dude - unfortunately you'll never learn the joys and pitfalls of Diesel engines until you have your first repair bill. Especially if you buy someone Else's used vehicle...

Moto52
02-18-2010, 07:25 PM
The Torqshift tranny is mated to all 6.0 Powerstrokes. The first 6.0 appeared in mid 2003 along with the Torqshift Tranny... Do some fact checking...

Dude - unfortunately you'll never learn the joys and pitfalls of Diesel engines until you have your first repair bill. Especially if you buy someone Else's used vehicle...

i think you need to check your facts cause it didn't come out until 2005..
I had lots of repair bills with my 6.5 diesel thats why i got rid of it and bought this 7.3.

AtoZ
02-18-2010, 07:29 PM
Wow - we've got another winner here.

Get ready for some more repair bills with that truck. Just curious - How many miles on yur Powerstroke???

I'm sure someone will chime in here to correct you...

stroker51
02-18-2010, 07:57 PM
I love all three of my 7.3s, with the exception of the lack of power my 01 has...compared to the two 96's. So I may disagree on the 6.0 vs 7.3 thing, a couple of guys I went to school with work on everything from 7.3/6.0 fords on up to 50 series Detroits everyday, and both say the 7.3 is easier to work on and cheaper, more reliable than the 6.0's they have....I am still somewhat considering a 6.0 though. The torqueshift did come out in 03 with the first 6.0. I have some of the original literature from back then when the 6.0/torqueshift first came out.

AtoZ
02-18-2010, 08:12 PM
I disagree with this whole reliability stuff - C'mon folks, it really comes down to the operator... I'm not gonna lie, I loved my 1995 Powerstroke - the only issue I had with it is when it hit 200,000 miles the repairs didn't justify keeping it on the road for business use. Not to mention the rust issue...

I wish I had the ability to fix and maintain my vehicles, I do change my own oil - but the fact is sooner or later they all wear out...

As soon as my 6.0 gives me trouble, it's not a matter of if, it's when - then I will too send that down the road and buy a new one...

AtoZ
02-18-2010, 08:15 PM
Where did my Michigan buddy go too???

stroker51
02-18-2010, 08:24 PM
Thats where, for me, the 7.3 is highly desireable, I know my way around it and can do most any repair that I need to. For the money I paid for my first 96, that now has 236k, and have put into repairs, Im about 1/3 of what a new truck would have cost me, and it is hands down the most reliable truck I have. But thats one truck, and if you are buyin new the argument is entirely different, I just dont want to drop that kind of coin on a truck, they make me money but just not enough to justify that.

AtoZ
02-18-2010, 08:43 PM
Kudos for you keeping your '96 on the road. Wanna find me a '96???

How long have you had your '96?

TXNSLighting
02-18-2010, 09:39 PM
the torqueshift tranny didnt come out until 2005 so i dont know how you think you have on in an 03? it has the 4R100 which is the same tranny i got in my truck.

Boy are you wrong!!:hammerhead:

TXNSLighting
02-18-2010, 09:44 PM
I have 2 7.3's. one has 230k, the other has 150k. the 96 (230k) has yet to need repair. Been very reliable truck. And so far just a small oil leak on my 2000..I am sure i will get to 200k in it before it needs anything else. I wouldnt mind a 6.0 either. I loved the 04 i had, it was just in the shop to much. Id gladly go buy a 06 or 07 today, and would think twice about it. But im in beliefs (through experiences) the 7.3 is a very reliable engine if maintained well.

Gravel Rat
02-18-2010, 09:59 PM
The 6.0 can be made more reliable ya it involves removing the egr system and head studs.

stroker51
02-18-2010, 10:25 PM
I've had the old 96 since I believe 04 or 05. I have personally put over 100k on it since then and other than normal things you need to expect from a high mileage vehicle havent had to replace anything out of the ordinary or that surprised me. An excavator buddy of mine has an 02 F350 single wheel psd he bought about 18 months ago with 110k, I was with him last night and hes put 80k on it since then, running up and down the highway with an S250 bobcat, tracks, and two buckets most of the time, and its been damn good to him, crowding 200k no major problems. As far as this guy is concerned and the money he's wanting to spend, I think a 7.3 would be the best all around bang for his buck.

mowerbrad
02-18-2010, 11:59 PM
The 7.3 seems to be the best all around engine for me. I maintain my vehicles quite well, so I'm not worried about that once I own the truck, its just the previous owner that I have to worry about. Hopefully the previous owner will have taken care of the truck well.

There seems to be plenty of trucks out there, but none of the good deals are near me, they are more down south, with quite a few in texas. The only problem that I have, is that I wouldn't be able to actually take a look at the truck before I buy it. I hate to make a huge trip to look at a truck, only to not buy it.

But I have found plenty of F250's and F350's that meet my criteria (which isn't nearly as high as before). I now need to really figure out what the fuel mileage will be on one, so I make sure that I will be happy with it.

AtoZ
02-19-2010, 12:37 AM
My stock '95 would get about 17 at best on the highway empty, When the cat and muffler fell off and was shot up with an Edge on Tow Mode I would get 20-22 with plenty of power. Had to be carefull when pulling a heavy load because it liked to slip with the auto... I had just over a 700 mile range between the two tanks per fillup...

I still love the way old powerstrokes sound with no cat/muffler!!!

Don't even get me started about driving cross country to buy trucks!!!
I've learned to buy local, no further explanation needed...

Moto52
02-19-2010, 09:39 AM
Boy are you wrong!!:hammerhead:

OK someone please show me what tranny they made for only 03 and 04, cause the 5R110 torqueshift came out in 2005?????????????

Moto52
02-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Wow - we've got another winner here.

Get ready for some more repair bills with that truck. Just curious - How many miles on yur Powerstroke???

I'm sure someone will chime in here to correct you...

I have 350,000 kms on it i don't know exact but i think thats around 220,000 miles.. I don't care about repair bills i'll fix it when it breaks, its still cheaper to fix this then buy a 50k new diesel truck.

Moto52
02-19-2010, 10:05 AM
man i feel like an idiot now i just checked and the 5R110 did come out in 2003. I got screwed up though cause the 2005 + trannys when you put them in tow haul mode they gear down and i know the 04s don't do that cause a friend of mine has it...

Moto52
02-19-2010, 10:12 AM
man i feel like an idiot now i just checked and the 5R110 did come out in 2003. I got screwed up though cause the 2005 + trannys when you put them in tow haul mode they gear down and i know the 04s don't do that cause a friend of mine has it...

I guess i should explain what i'm talking about I mean gear down as is when you let off the gas to start to slow down it will gear down like your driving a standard... and 03 and 04s don't do that..

TXNSLighting
02-19-2010, 12:32 PM
OK someone please show me what tranny they made for only 03 and 04, cause the 5R110 torqueshift came out in 2005?????????????

No it didnt!!! the 6.0 was mated with the Torqshift!! go look at any add anywhere from 03 and 04. You are flat out WRONG!!! Go look at listings for 03 and 04's it will say Torqshift! come on man. geez.

TXNSLighting
02-19-2010, 12:33 PM

Youre wrong AGAIN. They have always worked the same since 03. My 04 had the same downshift. thats what the torqshift is known for.

JOG724
02-19-2010, 01:20 PM
i have a 97 with manual trany 330000 still going regular maintance

mowerbrad
02-19-2010, 02:28 PM
Well, I stopped by my mechanic's shop today and talked to a couple of the guys there. One of them used to work at a Ford dealer, so he has more experience with the 7.3 than any of the other guys there. He said that as long as the truck I buy was maintained as it should be, I will be fine. He said the 7.3's are a great engine and are pretty easily worked on. So I now just need to find a good 7.3 and hopefully get it. I feel much better about the 7.3 now, than I did before....it just keeps looking like a better and better engine and one that should serve me very well.

petroskie
02-19-2010, 05:47 PM
Any diesel engine is expensive to fix doesn't matter which brand. I never did like the idea of aluminum heads on a diesel like the duramax has they seem to work but :confused:

Chevy trucks can be a maintenance pig when it comes to the front suspension sure the A arm system rides nice but your dealing with a h*ll of alot more moving parts. The older Fords even the newer Fords like the 05 and newer are simple aswell.

Chevs you have 8 A arm bushings you have 4 ball joints and something like 5 tie rod ends all waiting to cost you big money.

I prefer Fords myself its all I will own because the trucks themselves are better built and for myself the Ford dealer is the best to deal with when you need OEM parts.

I own a 6.0 I also prefer the 6.0 over the 7.3 I have had a 7.3 yes it was a decent engine but its no where near the power a 6.0 has. I have had good luck with my 03 6.0 I bought a 06 6.0 and its been good so far.

Where I live and what your putting your truck through everyday a 7.3 PSD life span is MAX 350,000 kms (218,000 miles) anything after that be lucky your not into a engine rebuild. There are a few around with 400,000kms (249,000 miles) but like I said a few.

The 6.5 diesels around here usually have a lifespan of 250,000kms (156,000 miles) and 5.9 Cummins 12 valves last about the same as a 7.3 PSD your not going to get much more than 400,000 kilometers out of a 12 valve.

So anyhow yes the 7.3 is good just make sure you buy a truck has has been looked after and the oil changed at the right intervals.

you must beat the crapout of the trucks, i worked at GM for 4 years and had a several customers that drove all 3 types of diesels, had a guy with a 97 cummins, 430k miles and the compression was still good and he pulls a 5th wheel most the year, another with a PSD 7.3 280k miles no problems, a duramax with 612kmiles, he was a repo man no major issues, what did all 3 have in common? all 3 had normal maintaence parts go bad, its just part of owning a working truck, but all 3 maintained there trucks to the highest, they never skipped a service and if somthing was bad they got it fixed, but i have also had the opposite with all 3 brands were everything went bad and there trucks were just daily drivers, theres no guarentee with any truck, but get a good warentee with what ever you get

Moto52
02-19-2010, 06:50 PM
Youre wrong AGAIN. They have always worked the same since 03. My 04 had the same downshift. thats what the torqshift is known for.

show me where it shows the 03 and 04 do that? my friend have an 04 f350 fully loaded and it does not do that? and my neighbor has and 06 and his does it????

Gravel Rat
02-19-2010, 10:32 PM
show me where it shows the 03 and 04 do that? my friend have an 04 f350 fully loaded and it does not do that? and my neighbor has and 06 and his does it????

The gasser trucks used the 4R100 transmission till 2004 the V-10 trucks from 99 to 2004 had the 3 spd overdrive. The 6.0s right from 2003 to 2007 had the 5R100.

TXNSLighting
02-20-2010, 12:25 AM

Well then he must be doing something wrong then. I had a 04! Ive driven many 03's. I worked at a ford dealer when the 6.0 came out and got to experience all its little wonders. One was the down shifting ability!! come on man. I know what im talking about here. The Torqshift has not changed. Its been a beast of a tranny.

Moto52
02-20-2010, 09:38 AM
The gasser trucks used the 4R100 transmission till 2004 the V-10 trucks from 99 to 2004 had the 3 spd overdrive. The 6.0s right from 2003 to 2007 had the 5R100.

ah yea i knew i read it somewhere that the 5r110 came out in 05 i guess i was reading about the v10...

Moto52
02-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Well then he must be doing something wrong then. I had a 04! Ive driven many 03's. I worked at a ford dealer when the 6.0 came out and got to experience all its little wonders. One was the down shifting ability!! come on man. I know what im talking about here. The Torqshift has not changed. Its been a beast of a tranny.

well i'm just going by my friends 04 cause his does not to that down shifting like the 06s that i have been in.

TXNSLighting
02-20-2010, 06:03 PM
well i'm just going by my friends 04 cause his does not to that down shifting like the 06s that i have been in.

Youre killin me man. His is capable of it as well. Unless somethings messed up with the tranny. I had a 04, and it did it superbly.

AtoZ
02-20-2010, 06:37 PM
My '03 drives the exact same as my '05. I think you guys are missing the boat - we're not debating that these engines can go the distance, they can. It's the fact that you will have major components to replace every 100,000 to 150,000 miles or sooner. I feel sorry for the guys that have to replace their injection systems on their 7.3, 6.6 and 5.9's. My 7.3 ate water pumps for breakfast. Unless you guys are Harvard Business Graduates and you've figured out how to outsmart the bean counters and Ford and GM - doubtful, it just doesn't make business sense to fix old pickups... You guys must not care about downtime and lost revenue, not to mention higher operating expenses with older vehicles. I can see if you use older vehicle for a backup but not a primary road worthy vehicle for everyday use.

It just doesn't make sense... I choose to run late model trucks for a reason. It makes financial sense!!!

Moto52
02-20-2010, 07:06 PM
My '03 drives the exact same as my '05. I think you guys are missing the boat - we're not debating that these engines can go the distance, they can. It's the fact that you will have major components to replace every 100,000 to 150,000 miles or sooner. I feel sorry for the guys that have to replace their injection systems on their 7.3, 6.6 and 5.9's. My 7.3 ate water pumps for breakfast. Unless you guys are Harvard Business Graduates and you've figured out how to outsmart the bean counters and Ford and GM - doubtful, it just doesn't make business sense to fix old pickups... You guys must not care about downtime and lost revenue, not to mention higher operating expenses with older vehicles. I can see if you use older vehicle for a backup but not a primary road worthy vehicle for everyday use.

It just doesn't make sense... I choose to run late model trucks for a reason. It makes financial sense!!!

Just cause it is a newer truck doesn't mean it doesn't break down, my buddy's 06 F250 blew his tranny at 90,000kms and it was in the ford dealer for 3 weeks and they wouldn't give him a loaner he had to buy a corgo van because he needs a truck everyday he is a plumber. and another guy I know with his 06 f250 has been in the shop more then mine with injector problems and turbo problems.. and even my neighbors 06 has been in the shop with turbo problems.

AtoZ
02-20-2010, 07:14 PM
That's why you have a warranty and by the way - most reputable/good dealers have loaner vehicles...

Moto52
02-20-2010, 07:20 PM
That's why you have a warranty and by the way - most reputable/good dealers have loaner vehicles...

I know they have a warranty but you were saying you buy newer so you don't have any problems, I don't care about buying a new truck i could go buy a new truck right now it's the fact that I don't want to I like my truck it has been good to me.

TXNSLighting
02-20-2010, 09:40 PM
Im going to disagree with you AtoZ, Theres nothing wrong with a older truck as your primary. Especially if you know its been maintained well. My 2000 is my main truck for the lawn biz. Now i have a 2009 150 for my lighting company, because you have to portray an image with that biz...If not, id have an older truck. I just dont like beating up newer much more expensive vehicles..Ive told you my current trucks, and how theyve been good to me. Not every older truck is going to give you head aches. Now after 250k? Youre probably correct, but still in the 100k's? no...