PDA

View Full Version : retaining wall against foundation question

combine76
02-11-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm constructing a short wall, approx. four feet high and ten feel long that is coming off of our new construction earth contact home. My question is reguarding the footer. I have a foundation drain running along side my foundation footer which consists of one inch clean rock and perforated drain pipe. How do I put a compacted base footer in there, I obviously dont want to mix base in with my clean rock and I'm afraid the clean rock will settle if I try compacting it. I've built several walls for customers, just never with this scenario.

4Russl5
02-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Build a lintel from your concrete foundation to your foundation stone for your wall. We do this all the time. It may be a problem dimensionally though if you are using a concrete block material. Your lintel should be minimum 3-5" on a 12" span with 3-4" overlap on the foundation on either side.

combine76
02-12-2010, 04:07 PM
What type of material should the lintel be made out of? Does it sit right on top of the foundation footer?

4Russl5
02-16-2010, 11:46 AM
Stone. You can put it right on the footer and span over your perforated pipe, leave 1-2" of space on either side, to your foundation stone which should be at the same height. This works for natural stone. I am sure it would work for concrete blocks as well, i just don't use them so I am not sure what notching them that much would do.

DVS Hardscaper
02-16-2010, 12:43 PM
or you can go to a brick yard and buy a concrete lintel and use that.

combine76
02-21-2010, 02:56 PM
My brick yard has different sizes and can cut to length. My next question is: I only have about 3-4" of footer to set the lintel on then I'll pour a pier to bridge the lintel. Is three or four inches enough footer to support the weight of the block and lintel? This wall will be approx. ten feet long and 3.5' tall. I don't want to have any damage to the footing. I appreciate the help on this. :)