PDA

View Full Version : truck

petroskie
02-12-2010, 12:28 PM
ok so heres a good debate, 3/4ton or 1 ton, why do some choose the 3/4 and not just pony up and get a 1 ton and be ready for future so your ready? maybe its me but when i got the plans drawn up to get my trailer built i said i dont have much equipment now but i will have tractors soon so lets make it able to hold tractors now so im ready, same idea for the truck ya know, planning way ahead. anybody else think this way cause you can only go so far with a 1/2ton.

mike lane lawn care
02-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I have a 3/4 ton heavy duty, because it can do the same as a SRW one ton. my truck is a daily driver, and a DRW is too big to park at work, as well as too harsh of a ride. I never tow more than 2,000lbs so even a 3/4 ton is overkill, but it's nice when I go to the nursery and buy tons of plants or a scoop of gravel for a job.

BTW, the area I live in, literally 4 out of 5 households own a Prius, and half the houses have some sort of solar panel on the roof. So I'd rather not piss off everyone by driving around in a big azz dually truck.

unkownfl
02-12-2010, 01:11 PM
I bought a 1 ton. I set out to just get a diesel in general after 5 dealerships and the pressure of having to find a 06 in the 07 model year to get the 0% financing I ended up with my one ton.

petroskie
02-12-2010, 01:30 PM
I have a 3/4 ton heavy duty, because it can do the same as a SRW one ton. my truck is a daily driver, and a DRW is too big to park at work, as well as too harsh of a ride. I never tow more than 2,000lbs so even a 3/4 ton is overkill, but it's nice when I go to the nursery and buy tons of plants or a scoop of gravel for a job.

BTW, the area I live in, literally 4 out of 5 households own a Prius, and half the houses have some sort of solar panel on the roof. So I'd rather not piss off everyone by driving around in a big azz dually truck.

man if i lived in a area like that id get the biggest dually and stacks and be blowne the black smoke down the road, but im a azz like that.im all for everybody doing there thing so i can do mine, the wife always tells me "dont be that guy" and i respond i am that guy! but i could see what ya mean about having a 3/4ton if you dont max it out often, just scary to see a 1/2 ton pulling 12k tractor on a hitch ya know

petroskie
02-12-2010, 01:32 PM
im looking around for trucks, i would like a 1ton SRW diesel, then you have the power if you need it.

MikeKle
02-12-2010, 07:32 PM
You really only need the DRW if you do lots of 5th wheel towing, duallies are not good in snow and ice and if you are only towing a bumper pull trailer, it really isnt needed, unless you like the look of them, which I do. But if you are going for the one ton, why not just go right for the F450 or 550? I dont think a stock F450 is that much more than a F350? and in our industry you would never need anything more than a 1-1/2 ton truck!! Actually when you look at what we tow around everyday, most of us dont need anything more than a half ton.

johnnybravo8802
02-12-2010, 07:56 PM

A 3/4 ton SRW will do the same as a SRW one ton?:confused:I think you may need to rethink that. This has been the question I've asked myself for a while-Why do people do this? The 3/4 ton actually costs more because of the demand. There is no way I'd buy a 3/4 ton when I could buy a one ton for less-It's just a crazy business decision. There are two crowds out there:1-The men who buy 3/4 ton trucks just to look cool and never haul a thing 2-The people who haul way too much weight with their 3/4 ton and need a one ton dually or a 1 1/2 ton. Neither group makes sense. It's more of a status symbol.

petroskie
02-13-2010, 12:55 AM
i have looked into the the 1 1/2 tons and and that maybe a good solid route, i havent looked into the fords. my buddy has a dodge 1.5ton and he was telling me they are alot different than the 1tons, the top out at 75, and the shifting is harsh, ect. i do like the chevys cause they turn into the kodiak style, its like a mini semi! does anybody on tis site own a truck that heavy?

doubleedge
02-13-2010, 01:05 AM
i have looked into the the 1 1/2 tons and and that maybe a good solid route, i havent looked into the fords. my buddy has a dodge 1.5ton and he was telling me they are alot different than the 1tons, the top out at 75, and the shifting is harsh, ect. i do like the chevys cause they turn into the kodiak style, its like a mini semi! does anybody on tis site own a truck that heavy?

What are you pulling? The fuel economy would be very poor with a 1.5 ton truck.

hosejockey2002
02-13-2010, 01:10 AM
A 3/4 ton SRW will do the same as a SRW one ton?

Typically, yes. The biggest difference between a "3/4" and "1 ton" SRW trucks are the sticker on the side of the truck. They have identical drivetrains, and often even the same suspensions. Often the 3500 series SRW will have a little bit heavier duty tires. My Chevy 2500HD regular cab has a higher payload rating than a 3500 SRW crewcab because the truck is lighter to begin with, and the GVWR is only 700 lbs. less.

Having said that, there is typically little cost difference in the two trucks. But there is little to no real world capability increase when going from a 2500/250HD to a 3500/350 SRW truck. It's nowhere near the difference of a 1500 to 2500HD comparison.

When you go to a DRW truck payloads go way up, but towing capacity is typically not much difference because engines and transmissions are the same.

mike lane lawn care
02-13-2010, 01:16 AM
man if i lived in a area like that id get the biggest dually and stacks and be blowne the black smoke down the road, but im a azz like that.im all for everybody doing there thing so i can do mine, the wife always tells me "dont be that guy" and i respond i am that guy! but i could see what ya mean about having a 3/4ton if you dont max it out often, just scary to see a 1/2 ton pulling 12k tractor on a hitch ya know

just remember, the people you piss off, will be the people who aren't going to pay you to do their leaf cleanup and install their new plant bed. professionalism is everything

mike lane lawn care
02-13-2010, 01:26 AM
when I need to haul a heavy load I use this, a ford F-350 dually 4x4, V10

petroskie
02-13-2010, 01:30 AM
just remember, the people you piss off, will be the people who aren't going to pay you to do their leaf cleanup and install their new plant bed. professionalism is everything

i agree, but like the wife says im still to young, dumb and full of.... you get the rest.

petroskie
02-13-2010, 01:37 AM
What are you pulling? The fuel economy would be very poor with a 1.5 ton truck.

currently a 8x20 open trailer that is rated to hold 10k for our equipment, walk behinds, ztr, quads with big pull behind mowers, and 4x4 rigs on the weekend, and i haul car somtimes for extra cash, so nothing my 86 f250 can pull, but were getting a new company vehicle and i get the choice of what i want and i would like to get a heavy truck so when we step up to a bobcat with a mulcher mower i have a heavy enough truck to pull it. so then im ahead of the game.

johnnybravo8802
02-13-2010, 11:27 AM
when I need to haul a heavy load I use this, a ford F-350 dually 4x4, V10
Man, that's a beautiful place!!!! Is all that your acreage?

Betterlawncarellc
02-24-2010, 06:52 PM
I have been reading all your responses, and I think that one very important fact is being overlooked...The ONLY difference between a 3/4 ton and SRW 1 ton, is the rear gearing in the truck...hence the reason that the 1 ton can "pull" more GVW than most 3/4 tons...I own a 3/4 ton heavy duty powerstroke truck that has a dana 44 front axle, and dana 60 rear axle....it uses a .373 gear, where that same year truck in 1 ton uses the exact same powertrain just with .411 gears...The main thing you notice is at 65 MPH in my truck I turm about 2000 RPM and in the 1 ton you turn about 3000....this lowers your MPG drastically and makes for a lousy daily highway driver if you use the 1 ton truck...It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to "over Kill" on what truck you buy if your loosing all your advantage out your tail pipe with about a 35% loss in fuel economy.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-24-2010, 07:20 PM
oftentimes you can get the same gearing in a 3/4 or 1 ton truck

on the newer model fords, you can get up to a 6K fgawr on either 250 or 350srw's but the rear axle is where it differs. even an srw350 can have a higher rear axle rating than 250's which is why their gvwr's are higher.

petroskie
02-24-2010, 07:32 PM
i just wanna tow some sh!$

Betterlawncarellc
02-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Sorry to be such a geek....I just love my truck and know a lot of useless facts and figures.

petroskie
02-25-2010, 06:10 PM
its cool i appreciate all the advice and tips, thanks everybody

billythekid
09-04-2011, 01:09 AM
If you buy a SRW 1 ton you are just paying more for registration and plates.

topsites
09-04-2011, 01:57 AM
The bigger the truck, the redder the neck.

By the time we get to the F-850 I know, it's time to start running !!!

2stroked
09-04-2011, 01:03 PM
If you get the 3/4 ton, it'll pretty much pull anything that you need, Unless your pulling huge inclosed trailers or travel trailers. you could also get a 1 ton with out dual rear wheels.

JDiepstra
09-04-2011, 01:15 PM
The only difference in 2500 and a srw 3500 dodge ram is an overload spring. Pffffffft.

JDiepstra
09-04-2011, 01:20 PM
I have been reading all your responses, and I think that one very important fact is being overlooked...The ONLY difference between a 3/4 ton and SRW 1 ton, is the rear gearing in the truck...hence the reason that the 1 ton can "pull" more GVW than most 3/4 tons...I own a 3/4 ton heavy duty powerstroke truck that has a dana 44 front axle, and dana 60 rear axle....it uses a .373 gear, where that same year truck in 1 ton uses the exact same powertrain just with .411 gears...The main thing you notice is at 65 MPH in my truck I turm about 2000 RPM and in the 1 ton you turn about 3000....this lowers your MPG drastically and makes for a lousy daily highway driver if you use the 1 ton truck...It doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to "over Kill" on what truck you buy if your loosing all your advantage out your tail pipe with about a 35% loss in fuel economy.

This is not accurate.

Kelly's Landscaping
09-04-2011, 11:46 PM
We have come to the conclusion we want all 4500-5500 rams in the fleet the 2 exceptions will be 2 srw Ram 3500s for the owners. And one of the main reasons we like them is the gvw is over 10k and exempt from emissions in CT being told you need to report to be tested or else is insulting and a pain in the ass. We picked this up in May took about 12 weeks to have her built.

LindblomRJ
09-05-2011, 01:33 AM
The bigger the truck, the redder the neck.

By the time we get to the F-850 I know, it's time to start running !!!

Really? :rolleyes: ;)

If you are using it to haul your 21" mower. :rolleyes: If you are hauling heavy loads then a F350 on up. Your redneck mentality doesn't always stand up the work that needs to be done test. Therefore you fail.

That being a if you are hauling a couple of walkbehinds and a pair of ZTRs then 3/4 or 1 ton might be in the cards. If you are hauling a dump trailer and a skid then a F350 up to a F550 would be the right pickup for the job.

It is all about what you are using your truck for. a 1 ton to pull a 5x7 is silly.

Gianninilandscaping
09-05-2011, 02:43 AM
I personally have a half ton truck, it pulls my 16ft landscape trailer with a 21", a 48" walk behind, and a 52" ztr and it holds all the hand helds and blowers and clippings in the bed. when you jump from half ton to three quarter ton the frames get bigger as well as bigger transmission and differentials. but if your like me a half ton will work (with overload springs added so you dont sag to much and get police attention) Plates are cheaper, truck is lighter and parts and maintaince are generally cheaper. my half ton will pull a bobcat in a pinch too...

Gianninilandscaping
09-05-2011, 03:03 AM
my buddies f-350 had a rust weakened hitch and it bent the first pot-hole he hit so we had to switch it to my truck. its a chevy 1500 4x4 with an upgraded trans and rearend... i know the frame isnt rated for it but the hitch is and the hitch is fully welded and bolted to the frame.... i was at 249,000 miles when i towed it