PDA

View Full Version : Overseeding

agm
02-13-2010, 07:56 PM
I know that the best time to overseed a lawn is in the fall, but can it be done in very early spring? I know that the seed competes with crabgrass and other lawn weeds but I have a new customer that wants it done. It's not a big area, probably about 900 sq.ft. of lawn. (I haven't measured it yet, just a rough estimate). I know how to do it, as I have been doing it for a few years, but I have never done it in the spring.

agm
02-13-2010, 11:18 PM
can anyone help?

Barefoot James
02-14-2010, 12:21 AM
Sure you can do it now and you will have 6 to 8 weeks to get the grass up, then you can use a pre to keep the weeds and crab back. Check out Soil Secrets @ Osuna Nursury, they have a terra pro humus and protein crumblie that will really help with soil pedogenesis.

agm
02-14-2010, 01:26 AM
thanks alot for the reply!

rwsawal04
02-14-2010, 04:35 PM
Don't you have to wait a while before applying preemerge to those young seedling.

agm
02-16-2010, 07:16 PM
I thought the same thing

DoetschOutdoor
02-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Agm, just do what ya know how to do as far as the prep and seeding and just make sure you use a high quality grass seed with no weeds in it. With the right growing, you should be able to get the grass up to strong enough after a few months that you can adress the weeds, if any then. Just keep a strong border on the other turf so none of the existing weeds creep into your new grass.

DoetschOutdoor
02-16-2010, 07:58 PM
Ooops, re read and now I think you are meaning overseed an existing area that already has grass and some weeds? How do you plan on getting seed in ground, aerator, slit seeder, ?

Barefoot James
02-16-2010, 08:01 PM
Seed early. Address weeds later.

agm
02-16-2010, 08:03 PM
Aerating. Lawn looks pretty good other than a small area that needs it. I don't have any pics of it (I wish I did) to show you. But with just aerating, then seeding, will be fine. It's just I have never done overseeding in the spring. Customer really wants it done. And the grass seed, yes I do use a high quality with no weeds.

Maple Wood
02-16-2010, 08:54 PM
I do some seeding and overseeding every spring here in kansas. Soil temp needs to be above 50 germinate. It germinates best at around 70. I use a blend of TTTF and Blue grass. There are post sprays you can use once it is established. Most of the time the crab grass is not bad enough to worry about. If the summer turns hot fast, then it will need to be watered for best establishment here.

Barefoot James
02-18-2010, 04:26 PM
You can also use a product called Tupersan that will let the seed germinate and grow and keep out crab grass - expensive and only lasts 3 to 4 weeks.
Tenacity will also work - don't know if legal on home lots yet but works great on golf courses.

RigglePLC
02-18-2010, 10:19 PM
AGM,
Maplewood is correct. Nothing happens if the soil is cold. Did you say New Mexico? What kind of seed? First correct the problem that caused thin spot--if it is shade--correct the shade problem first. The general rule is that you cannot seed until the normal grass begins to grow. So seed about the date of the first mowing. And you can probably apply crabgrass control about 4 weeks after emergence if you are willing to accept some risk. Have some Drive on hand and be ready to use it early and often. Be sure to apply starter fertilizer and be sure to add a high nitrogen booster about 3 and 6 weeks later. Do not guarantee anything, as too much depends on irrigation and the weather. Use top-quality seed, lots of seed, suited for the climate, microclimate and situation, and shade--if any.