PDA

View Full Version : Decorative Curbing Investment: Worth It?

tmc8524
02-14-2010, 04:11 PM
I already do basic lawn care, landscaping, and maint, but I am highly considering getting into the decorative curbing business. The market here is wide open with little competition, but I am wondering if the profits will outway the time and investment. I have been looking at Tygar equipment bc they seem to be an all around good company, from equipment to training and support. Anyone with any experience please give me your insight on the business. Any advice from marketing to equipment is appreciated. Please give me good feed back so I don't make a $12,000 mistake.

tmc8524
02-15-2010, 05:28 PM
"bump"....

AGLA
02-15-2010, 07:22 PM
What makes you think that people want to buy it right now? I've watched this for the last 15 years and it just does not seem to be something that many people are interested in, never mind willing to pay for.

Lite4
02-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Curbing is huge in the Western US, but since moving to the East, I don't see much of it here even though I have seen 3-4 companies at our home shows. They are priced 3-4 times higher per foot here which may have something to do with it also. Tough call on rolling the dice. It would depend on your area. Areas with a higher median income will be better for you.

AGLA
02-16-2010, 07:04 AM
You also have to consider that this is an add on to a landscape project rather than a project in its own right. Do you have enough landscape projects to support the idea that you will get a return on your investment if you used it on 25% of your projects?

Or, do you have little work and hope this steers work to you? If this is the case, I don't think it will make a difference to anything but your overhead.

tmc8524
02-16-2010, 01:23 PM
Well, my thought process was to do good advertising and make enough from the first year to pay for the equipment. It would be an add-on and I can easily survive off of other basic lawn care. Really what I'm doing is looking for a good niche to get into that the market is not saturated with. I was really wondering if anyone has had success with curbing, and if so, or if not, then why? Thanks for the insigt though.

mario491
02-18-2010, 11:12 PM
To much work and no money, we did it for 3 yrs and it really sucks

Bowbender
02-19-2010, 04:52 PM
I did it as as "add on" to my other services. It is time consuming and a lot of work. You have to watch the weather very closley as to not get caught in the rain. That alone makes it a pain to schedule, since you probably have other work that needs done when it is not raining. It really put me behind schedule. I did curbing with one helper, which was tough. I guess I could have gotten more help but the money wasn't there. It was a good experience, but not a money making experieince for me. The demand here in Pa. really isn't that big. I sold my stuff 2 years ago, and I really don't miss it. If you have the right situation I think there is money to be made with it, but you almost have to have a crew dedicated to doing curbing and nothing else.

tmc8524
02-20-2010, 01:56 PM
Bowbender, did you try much advertising? I'm wondering if you did enough advertising and made people aware that it is out there, there might be more business. Just a thought, but what do you think the main reason you didn't feel it was successful? Trying to learn from others mistakes in case I decide to go through with this I'll know what not to do.

WiseCutLandscapingLLC
02-20-2010, 08:13 PM
if you want to get into it buy a used setup.... you can buy them for 75% cheaper sometimes.. iv seen a whole setup for 4grand....
Tim

White Gardens
02-21-2010, 03:20 PM
I would say no on investing in it.

You can do a much better looking curb/edging with brick and a Type S mortar. One person can do it reasonably fast and two can fly through it.

Mix the bags as you go, and you aren't under the gun with a large batch of concrete that you would be doing for the curbing.

Curb edging started to take hold around here about 7 years ago. It came, it sucked, it looked bad, and people stopped wanting it installed.

Bowbender
02-21-2010, 07:06 PM
tmc,
I did advertise quite a bit. I had 9 jobs in my first month. My main problem was that I was solo and only part time, and had many other commitments to take care of (other regular customers). I had a helper that was sometimes unable to show up when I needed him. I guess my biggest mistakes were adding too much to my already full plate, and not getting the right help from the start. By the way, after I completed the 9 jobs, and they were done well, the calls stopped coming in. I figure that was due to lack of interest. I had a few jobs last year that I used curbing on, but I had another company install it. I sold my equipment 2 years ago. I used Quik Kerb equipment. It was quality stuff. Good luck with your curbing! Don't let me or anyone else discourage you if that is what you really want to do. It is a big step to take. My main objective in getting into it was to add a niche to my landscaping that no one else in the area offered. Had I pushed it more, it probably would have worked out.

tmc8524
02-21-2010, 11:44 PM
I found a guy ab 100 miles from me who is retiring and selling his whole setup, gooseneck, machines, stamps, I mean this guy has everything from the light kit, walkway maker, commercial curb maker, etc. $12,000 and ab 4yrs old. Thinking ab taking the plunge and seeing how it goes. If I can make my money back on my equipment the first yr I will be happy! Hopefully profits later on. I figure the guys who win big are the ones who take risks. We'll see...

Bowbender
02-22-2010, 06:34 PM
Go for it! Sounds like a good price for everything. It takes some practice to get on to, but I am sure you will catch on to it. (If I could, anyone could.) Good luck.

STRINGALATION
03-03-2010, 12:42 AM
Well here in the ville they love. Around 9.50 per foot i think. Watched the entire process done at my neirbors house from start to finish with the whole trailer package withe mixer in the back a side ramp on a box with a sodcutter and the curb machine. They charged 750 for 2.5 hours of work.
It was not time con suming it was 2 men the youngster mixing as needed not a big batch so no big overage.in the summer here they could do plenty work and they do like i said popular here but i have seen some poor work where heaving is big big factor. Thats the part i dont get. How thats ok without prepping the base with gravel and a plate compactor. Seem the same as a paver setup but i dont know alot

STRINGALATION
03-03-2010, 12:44 AM
Advertise here buddy its popular and for the record i do try to sell it with intent on subing. I like it in certain situations. Not around my flowers

tmc8524
03-03-2010, 11:07 AM
The guy I might be buying from is in shelbyville and does a lot of work in Louisville. Border Concepts, dunno if u ever heard of him.

STRINGALATION
03-03-2010, 11:29 PM
i'm visual would have to see the logo ,colors or summin. not alot of ppl curbin really. curban legends. and 2 others i dont see many others but this is a big place . especially considering i cross the water in jeff, new albany, clarks, and sellersberg indiana. so you can relly stretch out here. especially doing quality work