PDA

View Full Version : 8 GUAGE CABLE VS. 10 and 12?

RLDesign
02-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Hello All,

I have various projects and upsell ideas based upon my choice to run 8, but what are others on this forum's reasons for being pro 8 guage or against 8 guage. I have realized that is all dependent on the type of project (size and shape) and geographic location. Since I am on an island and the lots and garden beds are small and narrow, it has worked well. Since I started zoning my lighting effects by type, I use less and less 8 guage. It is an interesting topic that comes up often in my conversations.

That was 8 in the photo of Mike Gs trans. in the article, correct??

Talk soon.

Tanek
Reynolds Lighting

Lite4
02-15-2010, 10:54 AM
I don't have any aversions to 8, I just rarely need it.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-15-2010, 11:14 AM
I have used it when necessary, but it is rather expensive. Since making the move to nearly 100% LED lamps, the need for 8ga cable is pretty much gone.

Depending on your local inspectors, it can be possible to double up a run of 12ga and get better performance than a single run of 8ga for less cost per meter.

S&MLL
02-15-2010, 11:33 AM
I think I have 1 spool of 8 in my office. Hopefully dont plan on using it anytime soon. If I buy 100 spools a year I would say. 80 are 12g, 19 are 10g, 1 is 8g. I think ppf on that stuff is around .85 cents. To expensive for me.

Pro-Scapes
02-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Be clear here James. When you say double up, at least in the US according to our NEC it prohibits the running of conductors in parallel. You can split the loads over multiple conductors but you cannot join at each end a paid of 12ga wires or 10ga for that matter. I learned the hard way and had to go back to a job and split the load after I doubled up on 10ga wires.

I have changed my layout techniques considerably since them and usually opt to install another transformer closer to the area that power is needed.

On larger wires (I cant recall the size... Paul might help us here but I think it is #2 ??? pls correct me here) you are permitted to run in parallel.

In the other thread Tanek I corrected the publishing Error. That is in fact a Gambino transformer but that IS also my work and installation. The photo is Miscredited by the editors of the magazine.

Now on 8ga wire. It is CRAZY high in price. For the cost of the 8ga and labor to bury it that far I can better serve my clients by investing in a 120v line and another transformer in 99 percent of applications or by running 2 pc of 10 or 12ga and splitting the load down.

David Gretzmier
02-18-2010, 11:55 PM
8 ga for me is a relic of the era of single tap trans. I still have some around, but 10 and 12 are what I use 99% of the time. The cost of 8 ga is pretty much driven by it's low volume. it is harder to work with, connectors are more expensive, you need different cutters/strippers, etc.