PDA

View Full Version : Appreciate your input

Manscape
02-15-2010, 10:02 PM
I was wondering if you guys could tell me how you do bed jobs...(creating beds where there is nothing.) Iv'e done a few small bed jobs and it's pretty time consuming and labor intensive doing it "old school" (old school-Shovels and hand edgers, because I don't have any other large equipment "bed edgers" "small loader" etc.)

I am planning eventually on investing in a bed edger and some larger equipment which will aid me but until then im SOL. The roughest part of how I do my beds is not necessarily the digging, but loading the debris into my dump truck which sits over 4ft off the ground. Dump trailer may be a little easier?

Any ideas are appreciated.

(At some houses I am able to use my metal ramp up to the dump which helps a little but all-in-all still too time consuming and produces too much sweat.

groundskeeperllc
02-15-2010, 10:18 PM
I would recommend renting a walkbehind tractor like a Bobcat MT52 for the day, you can load all your debris with it and put all new materials in with it in a short period these little machines do the work of 6 men, its well worth the $100-$150 rent for the day, and they don't talk back or need smoke breaks, as far as the edging doing it by hand is not that bad unless you have alot to do, you can also rent a nice bed edging machine for $40-$75 for day and some places rent for 1/2 a day

hackitdown
02-16-2010, 10:03 AM
Before I had a tractor, I would use my trailer and a set of ramps.

Keep the trailer attached to the dumptruck. Run the wheelbarrow up the trailer ramp onto the trailer. Now you are 1/2 way up. Set ramps from the front of the trailer to the back of the dumptruck. Run the wheelbarrows up the ramps to get from the trailer up to the truck.

I use 2-wheel wheelbarrows. Two half loaded wheelbarrows is much more pleasant than one very full wheelbarrow.

Still a lot of work, but less work.

openbook
02-16-2010, 12:08 PM
I've never had a problem running a wheelbarrow up a ramp into a dump truck. I would rather use wheel barrows than a machine where I could possibly damage the turf and would have to add re-sodding to the bed job.

Premier landscaping south
02-16-2010, 01:03 PM
What about adding to the existing truck gate? Like a folding extension or something to that effect, or is it to much of a distance to cover? Just a thought.

Note: I am refereeing to hackitdowns post.

head_start
02-17-2010, 11:53 AM
i dont know about anyone else but hackitdown does some great illistrations.

hackitdown
02-17-2010, 01:24 PM
i dont know about anyone else but hackitdown does some great illistrations.

You should see the one I did of your mother.

head_start
02-17-2010, 02:51 PM
is it that good too? haha

head_start
02-17-2010, 03:10 PM
on a more honest note, i like hackitdowns idea, and the picture was helpful. he should do it again haha

Lawnut101
02-19-2010, 11:46 AM
Bed edgers help a lot, sod cutters can work if you know what you are doing, and a rototiller would be nice too. However, these things all add costs, so unless it is a big job, it may not be worth renting them all.

mnglocker
02-19-2010, 12:08 PM

Keep the trailer attached to the dumptruck. Run the wheelbarrow up the trailer ramp onto the trailer. Now you are 1/2 way up. Set ramps from the front of the trailer to the back of the dumptruck. Run the wheelbarrows up the ramps to get from the trailer up to the truck.

I use 2-wheel wheelbarrows. Two half loaded wheelbarrows is much more pleasant than one very full wheelbarrow.

Bed edgers help a lot, sod cutters can work if you know what you are doing, and a rototiller would be nice too. However, these things all add costs, so unless it is a big job, it may not be worth renting them all.

This and this.

An edge definer or sod cutter cost $40 per day from my local rental place. Add that cost into the bid. If that customer complains, point out that it's costing them a little more per hour with fewer hours or it's more hours and a little less per hour. Either way it's going to be the same. And by getting it done faster that customers yard can get back to normal faster, and you can move onto the next job faster and make more $$$. FTW.

LB1234
02-19-2010, 05:08 PM
I've never had a problem running a wheelbarrow up a ramp into a dump truck. I would rather use wheel barrows than a machine where I could possibly damage the turf and would have to add re-sodding to the bed job.

not if your careful with one of the WB skids. I have a dingo 425 and with a little practice and "k" turns the turf damage is minimal if at all. Most of the time just getting the backpack blower out and "fluffing" the lawn does the trick. If we do have it where we are running all day on it we just bring our little plug aerator in and overseed it. works great. The labor savings is unbelivalbe with these machines. If you havn't tried one, look into it.

BTM Lawn Maintenance L.L.C
02-20-2010, 10:42 AM

I love that truck !!! Is that a Ford ?? :rolleyes:

Turfdude
02-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Mark the area w/ mark-out paint, use a SOD CUTTER whether you have a machine or not...you can set the depth of the cutter so as to not remove too much topsoil which can & does happen w/ a skid loader or walk behind version. Even when re-doing a lawn, we'll sod cut it out first, then use skid to pull loose turf into piles before loading in truck. If the job is small. I'll still use a ramp to load into the truck, otherwise, we'll tow the machine. One of my best purchases was my Ryan sod cutter Jr. I purchased it used from my equip dealer for $900 - well worth it!! If you don't do much installation work, then rent one!