PDA

View Full Version : Jrco dethatcher ?'s and biggest lawns you've dethatched

Derek's Lawn Care
02-16-2010, 01:16 AM
I am thinking about buying a jrco dethatcher but I want to know if anyone has had success with this kind of dethatcher or dethatching larger lawns, as in do larger lawns tend to not want stuff like that as much. This type of dethatcher I think would probably be better and faster but I don't know if homeowners will want it too or if they work good. Any help is appreciated

Thanks, DLC
Posted via Mobile Device

scagrider22
02-16-2010, 10:41 PM
I was wondering the same thing, does anyone know how it compares to a power rake? Does the jrco dethatcher work better on a walk behind or a ztr?

Jason Rose
02-17-2010, 12:59 AM
They work well, but beware of your verbage. The JRCO rake dosn't really "dethatch" though for morst people it will do the job they want done. It will pull up a lot of dead grass and clean out the turf nicely. You are going to be better off with a zero turn IMO because of the amount of debris you are goning to be bagging. You will lose your mind with a walk behind with a small side catcher dumping every few hundred feet. It's bad enough with a zero turn and dumping every couple passes.

To really clean things out I always liked to go up, turn around and then come back in the same pass I went up on. It would rake one way and then back the other and really pull the stuff out that way. I'd still have to make a 3rd pass over without the rake on the front to pick up the loose stuff that was dropped or missed. It's pretty time consuming, so charge accordingly (to double rake) and plan on having more debris than you estimate, lol. I've filled my dump bed off one lawn. If you just make one pass, just to do a little spring cleaning, you won't have as much to get rid of though, but it's not really doing the best job.

Still faster than a power rake and picking it up, for sure.

scagrider22
02-17-2010, 01:13 AM
They work well, but beware of your verbage. The JRCO rake dosn't really "dethatch" though for morst people it will do the job they want done. It will pull up a lot of dead grass and clean out the turf nicely. You are going to be better off with a zero turn IMO because of the amount of debris you are goning to be bagging. You will lose your mind with a walk behind with a small side catcher dumping every few hundred feet. It's bad enough with a zero turn and dumping every couple passes.

To really clean things out I always liked to go up, turn around and then come back in the same pass I went up on. It would rake one way and then back the other and really pull the stuff out that way. I'd still have to make a 3rd pass over without the rake on the front to pick up the loose stuff that was dropped or missed. It's pretty time consuming, so charge accordingly (to double rake) and plan on having more debris than you estimate, lol. I've filled my dump bed off one lawn. If you just make one pass, just to do a little spring cleaning, you won't have as much to get rid of though, but it's not really doing the best job.

Still faster than a power rake and picking it up, for sure.

Thanks for the info, how reliable/well built is the jrco and do the tines need to be replaced very often or at all?

Jason Rose
02-17-2010, 01:20 AM
Thanks for the info, how reliable/well built is the jrco and do the tines need to be replaced very often or at all?

Mine went a long time and never broke a tine... then I used it for a few lawns one spring and I broke a bunch. Replaced the broken ones (had to order from JRCO) an when I used it again it broke a bunch more of the original ones. I don't know if I had it set to low, or to low in front or if the spring steel tines were just brittle from age (5+ years old, but really not that much use over that many years). and I don't know that metal gets more brittle over time like that... I really haven't used it at all in the last few years. every year I get it out and prep it to use and then just never have time to or the lawns have jsut been fertilized/preemergent and I don't want to be running the rake over that because it's usually not watered in that well between the time it's applied and the first cut of the year.

Mines a 46 or 48 inch, and it's been adapted for several different mowers. Now I've got it set up to run on the front of my 48" walker deck, but have never used it. It gave me something to tinker with for an afternoon fabbing up the mount though :laugh: