PDA

View Full Version : The perfect set-up? 1ton, 7ton trailer

Timi The Sod Lover
02-16-2010, 01:51 AM
Hey guys,

This forum has been invaluable for information so far!
I have a question for those who know what they're talking about. I have a friend who has access to dealer auctions and phoned him tonight to pick out a 1 ton with a dump on the back. I just wanted to get some feed back and make sure this would be the absolute best set up for the company.

The company will be almost exclusively sodding ranging from small 500 lots to 10,000 sq.ft residential homes and likely some commercial properties in there as well.

The set up:
- 7 ton heavy duty dump trailer (deposit already given, picking it up in a month or so) highwalls and 14' length
- Either GM/Chevy 3500 or Ford 350 chassis with a dump box/ body on the back (I'm hoping to get a crew cab and a diesel would be lovely)
- Boxer 532DX

The reason for the set up of the truck is versatility and I figure most of the time the trailer will be hauling sod or someones previous lawn and plan to drive the boxer into the back of the cab with some heavy duty loading ramps and haul it that way when the trailer is full. Also I like the fact that if we need some additional soil or sod the truck can take off and pick-up while the trailer can stay behind and workers can still be productive and not at a stand-still.

If anyone see's any challenges or issues with this set-up please don't be shy. Alternatively if you think its a good set-up or have a suggestion I would also enjoy hearing it.

Thanks! :rolleyes:

fool32696
02-16-2010, 10:33 PM
Will you haul all of the sod with this setup or pay delivery? As I can figure, the most you could haul is 5 pallets and that is 2500 sq ft. tops. When maxed out at 5 pallets you can't haul your machine and you'll still have to make 4 trips. Unless you own your own tractor trailer or very large flatbed delivery truck, I'm pretty sure you are better off just paying the delivery charges.

Timi The Sod Lover
02-18-2010, 12:53 AM
The idea is to have everything on site shortly before the crew arrives eliminating the need for picking up sod and soil.
The reason why I'm looking for 1 ton with a dumper on the back and asking this question is because I would imagine there will be the occasional case where I have someone's entire old lawn in the back of the hydraulic dump trailer we're pulling, and need to make a stop a the dump or clean fill site before moving on to the next job site. I suppose it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but I would like to avoid coming back for the mini skid or taking less in the dump trailer because the mini skid has to go in the dump trailer appose to in the back of the truck.
Also lets say for example we're ripping up an old lawn and the guys are loading the trailer and than preping the site for sod and they realize there a little short on soil It would be good if the trailer could stay behind and the truck could whip over to load up an an extra yard or two of soil or whatever else they could possibly need.

I hope I cleared things up a little better. I'm going to have a better look into the GVWR of the truck. But so far im getting mixed reviews. Some say I'm going to want a 450 or 550 others say a 1 ton/350 will do. I'm thinking maybe a 1 ton dually diesel might cut it and try my best to ensure we don't put the mini-skid in the back of the truck too often nor on long hauls.

hondarancher4435
02-18-2010, 10:16 PM
The idea is to have everything on site shortly before the crew arrives eliminating the need for picking up sod and soil.
The reason why I'm looking for 1 ton with a dumper on the back and asking this question is because I would imagine there will be the occasional case where I have someone's entire old lawn in the back of the hydraulic dump trailer we're pulling, and need to make a stop a the dump or clean fill site before moving on to the next job site. I suppose it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but I would like to avoid coming back for the mini skid or taking less in the dump trailer because the mini skid has to go in the dump trailer appose to in the back of the truck.
Also lets say for example we're ripping up an old lawn and the guys are loading the trailer and than preping the site for sod and they realize there a little short on soil It would be good if the trailer could stay behind and the truck could whip over to load up an an extra yard or two of soil or whatever else they could possibly need.

I hope I cleared things up a little better. I'm going to have a better look into the GVWR of the truck. But so far im getting mixed reviews. Some say I'm going to want a 450 or 550 others say a 1 ton/350 will do. I'm thinking maybe a 1 ton dually diesel might cut it and try my best to ensure we don't put the mini-skid in the back of the truck too often nor on long hauls.

Any 1ton diesel will tow that 14k trailer no problem but as far as legally you will be pushing the limits with the trailer fully loaded and especially if you have a load in the truck.

As far as the boxer i see no problem with it being hauled in the truck frequently as long as you have good ramps and tie down's such a d-rings in the corners to secure it.

tnmtn
02-19-2010, 12:24 AM
if it were me and i was looking for the perfect set up for sod a dump trailer wouldn't be in the equation. i would go with a 26k weight tandem dually gooseneck. when carrying sod it gets heavy fast. maybe 25'-30' goose would caryy the more sod and the boxer no problem. only other problem i see is can the boxer move the pallets from the trailer or will time be spent quartering pallets for the boxer? dump trailers also have a higher tare weight than a flatbed.
good luck,

South Florida Lawns
02-19-2010, 01:15 AM
I would do a cab over Isuzu with a 14ft dump bed. Same price as your f350 but will handle the loads way better than a pick up truck.

Timi The Sod Lover
02-21-2010, 11:15 PM
South Florida Lawns- I haven't seen any contractors using those Isuzu's but that is a great suggestion. When looking for them I couldn't spot one anywhere near my region under $30,000-35+ though.

For a heavy duty Izusu I've seen some stats it can handle around 19,000-20,000lbs loads. Which is good. Right now im leaning towards this truck and the price is pretty fair at $17,900 with only 61,000kms (2005)

Moto52
02-22-2010, 12:04 PM
South Florida Lawns- I haven't seen any contractors using those Isuzu's but that is a great suggestion. When looking for them I couldn't spot one anywhere near my region under $30,000-35+ though.

For a heavy duty Izusu I've seen some stats it can handle around 19,000-20,000lbs loads. Which is good. Right now im leaning towards this truck and the price is pretty fair at $17,900 with only 61,000kms (2005)

Is that truck in Hamilton on woodward street? i'm almost positive it is. that is about 20 min from my house.

gtmorgan89
02-23-2010, 01:40 AM
Look for an NQR. Its a heavier NPR. A NPR would give you room to expand in the future.

Timi The Sod Lover
02-23-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys. This F450 came up and it was a price I couldn't resist, should be taking delivery in a week or two. Figured it would be plenty to haul what I need it to and its a diesel with 90,000kms.

Timi The Sod Lover
02-23-2010, 10:53 PM
Is that truck in Hamilton on woodward street? i'm almost positive it is. that is about 20 min from my house.

haha yeah Hamilton sounds right. Saw it on the autotrader under the Toronto market.

White Gardens
02-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I was going to suggest a 450 or 550.

The 450 should do you pretty good. The rear is geared lower so you will have horrible fuel economy, but plenty of pulling power.

You also get the larger GVWR on the 450 and probably a larger GCVWR for the truck and trailer.