PDA

View Full Version : Tips needed for laying dormant sod

pg250
02-16-2010, 11:47 AM
I am going to put down some St Augustine sod this week for a customer. We are still in the twenties at night here in northern Louisiana. Since it is dormant should it be watered any less or the same amount as usual? Should I use a lawn roller? Are there any other things to be mindful of since it is dormant? Thanks in advance.

RAlmaroad
02-16-2010, 02:50 PM
Just make sure your ground is tilled well, keep it watered mainly to settle the sod into the soil. Yes, I'd roll it. The problem as I see it is trapped water underneath the sod and it freezing along with the roots. How much are you putting down. It might be a little costly but I would advise the client to buy some garden fabric (White stuff that looks like tobacco bed canvas) and cover the sod if a hard freeze is expected. Think of it as tomato plants. Plants are plants and freeze is freeze. Another technique on sudden freeze is to run the sprinklers. 99% of the time--nothing will happen.

pg250
02-16-2010, 06:02 PM
Thank you for the reply. I will be putting down 2 pallets (approximately 1000 sq ft). Unfortunately they don't have a sprinkler system. I am going to use a tiller as the soil is compacted. This customer laid sod 2 years ago (themselves) and it died; I don't want them to have to repeat that; they had also put down mushroom compost. This yard has a lot of shade (obviously not at the present time).