PDA

View Full Version : Core Drilling

EveningIllumination
02-16-2010, 12:53 PM
Hello All,

I am looking for information on core drilling concrete pavers. My lighting job at a pet spa has an outside patio made of these pavers. In order to get a light fixture in the proper place to properly light a Frangipani tree I need to place it in the patio itself. The owner said that she thought core drilling sounded pretty expensive and that she would be OK with just pulling up that square and filling it in with the same decorative rock that she has in a few places.
I think it would look much better and more professional if the paver was drilled and the fixture set in that way. I have never done this before and need to know a few things. My questions are:
1. Is it hard to do? -- I have called around and gotten prices on renting the equipment. The hole would have to be 4" - I am using Unique's Nova light for this application.

2. How easy is it to crack the paver?

3. If I wanted to try and hire an outside person to come drill one hole for me - who should I call(what type of business)?

4. What is the most important thing to know about core drilling?

Here is a photo of the area that I will placing the fixture in.

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f343/EveningIllumination/IMG_3770.jpg

Any and ALL information will be greatly appreciated!!
Thank You!!
Have A Great Day!!
Bobbi

Pro-Scapes
02-16-2010, 04:32 PM
While I am all for core drilling and have posted shots of Novas I have put in like this, I think in your application it would create a trip hazzard. Have you considered backlighting that tree or if I rememeber your other pictures you could downlight it ?

Core drilling fixtures in is great if you can get them completly 100% flush. I imagine there are alot of retired people around you which in my opinion means extra caution should be exercised, especially on a business.

Lite4
02-16-2010, 05:48 PM
Downlight, it would look much better. JMO

Chris J
02-16-2010, 08:22 PM
To answer your questions specifically, it is very easy to crack pavers, so just go real slow if you do this. If you want to hire someone, call a paver guy. The most important thing to know? If you haven't done it before, you will find there are two kinds of core drills: a hand held unit, and a base mounted unit which is much like a drill press. Don't use the hand-held if your not used to doing this kind of work.
In summary: What Billy and Tim said, if possible.

EveningIllumination
02-16-2010, 08:27 PM
1st. This particular tree is too short to down light from.

2nd. The top of the tree is too soft to mount fixtures too.

3rd. The fixture will be mounted directly under the branches that reach out over the patio therefore: no tripping hazard - it is not in a pathway(I was hoping the angle of the photo would show that).

4th. I am planning to use the fountain there to hid the fixture from the front and was only going to use the angled shroud if there was too much glare. I am really hoping to flush mount it with the flat ring and use a 60degree honeycomb louver.

Chris J
02-16-2010, 08:32 PM
Then I say go for it. As long as the fountain is going to stay there, you should be in good shape. As I mentioned, just rent the base mounted core drill and go very slowly. Try to get your hole directly in the center of a paver, and not near an edge and you will be fine.

EveningIllumination
02-16-2010, 08:36 PM
To answer your questions specifically, it is very easy to crack pavers, so just go real slow if you do this. If you want to hire someone, call a paver guy. The most important thing to know? If you haven't done it before, you will find there are two kinds of core drills: a hand held unit, and a base mounted unit which is much like a drill press. Don't use the hand-held if your not used to doing this kind of work.
In summary: What Billy and Tim said, if possible.

Thank You Chris!!
I appreciate your time and sharing. I don't know if you have Frangipani in your area - If you do then you know that lighting these trees from underneath is so much better than down lighting them.

BTW - all those Christmas lights and garland are gone now.

Chris J
02-16-2010, 08:43 PM
Anytime my friend.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
02-16-2010, 08:45 PM
Hey Chris, good to see you back here, it has been a while. What's up with you these days?

Chris J
02-16-2010, 08:49 PM
Same ol, same ol. Just trying to keep up with everything. Had a break today, and started thinking about you guys, so I decided to check in and see what's the latest. Looking forward to a vacation next week!

Pro-Scapes
02-16-2010, 10:51 PM
If your dead set on core drilling and nervous about doing it I would contact a concrete company or paver company and ask them about it. You could probably bring the paver to them.

When I said downlight I thought you had that eave above the tree from the other pictures you posted. I didnt mean hanging ornamental lights from the tree itself.

Also watch your louver because that 60 degree lamp may not be 60 degrees when your done.

emby
02-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Core drill with lots of water, diamond tip core bit, let the bit do its job so do not rush the cut.
Use the drill press type and secure it well.
Hope this helps.

Ken

Lite4
02-17-2010, 09:16 AM
Well, if you are nervous about core drilling, pull one of those small pink pots over underneath the tree and plant your light in it. Just run the wire out the bottom of the pot.

niteliters
02-17-2010, 09:37 AM
Thank You Chris!!
I appreciate your time and sharing. I don't know if you have Frangipani in your area - If you do then you know that lighting these trees from underneath is so much better than down lighting them.

BTW - all those Christmas lights and garland are gone now.

someone may have answered already, not much time to read. we have subcontracted out to fence contractor. could be a good person/company to network with. use the best.

RLDesign
02-17-2010, 11:27 AM
Here is bruteliter install. I custom cut these with a paver saw. If you bevel the edge of the paver and set them in sand it really helps. I have been doing these for 5 years like this. Never core drilled anything except concrete, pavers are to easy to break and too small. On the square brick pink paver, I would pull it up and cut it in half and notch cut it to fit your fixture. Once packed with sand, it will be a nice clean install.

Talk soon.

Tanek

klkanders
02-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Hello Tanek!
I have also cut pavers in the same way with one of our wet table saws. One point I wanted to make is doing this in a freeze thaw region can make the cut or cored pavers crack more easily with ground heaving. But then again any paver can fracture at any time. :)
Do you use poly sand around your fixture and disturbed areas?
Nice work and project!

EveningIllumination
02-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Thank You Tanek,

That was very helpful information. I love the photos too. I am going to look into
a paver saw. My demo had the actual fixture across a seam between two pavers and that might be the way to go. Again, thank you for your time and sharing. Have A Great Day!!

Bobbi

S&MLL
02-17-2010, 09:21 PM
Expensive broom look at that copper

RLDesign
02-18-2010, 09:34 AM
Hello Tanek!
I have also cut pavers in the same way with one of our wet table saws. One point I wanted to make is doing this in a freeze thaw region can make the cut or cored pavers crack more easily with ground heaving. But then again any paver can fracture at any time. :)
Do you use poly sand around your fixture and disturbed areas?
Nice work and project!

Hello Keith,

Thanks. No poly sand. We use whatever is available, but I forgot to mention that if you set you pavers at night then you can aim and set with a rubber mallet. By being in sand, there is some settling but with seasonal maintenance the fixture can be double checked.

Best, Tanek

RLDesign
02-18-2010, 09:39 AM
Expensive broom look at that copper

I knew someone would get that. Here is the pic on my: websitehttp://www.reynoldsgardenshop.com/CommLighting_Gallery2.htm

Copy and paste this link into a new webpage. We modify our lighting designs and tools with a good amount of creativity. For the broom, the wood/plastic kept breaking so we made it out of a male copper 3/4" nipple. That broom is still on one of my trucks!!

Talk soon. Tanek