PDA

View Full Version : Dogwood Tree transplant

1MajorTom
06-06-2002, 10:53 PM
I believe I know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask hoping someone tells me what I wish I could hear. ;)

A customer no longer wants their dogwood tree which is located close to their home. They want it taken out and gotten rid of.

We want it for our own. I do not know the caliper, but it is not a huge tree. To dig around the root ball would require some work and Matt would need an extra pair of hands. There wouldn't be much profit in removing this tree this way, but we wouldn't be in it for profit, only for the tree which is a very fine specimen.

When can this tree be transplanted with a chance of living?

I believe the answer is when the tree is dormant with no leaves on it, probably sometime in March. The customer will not want to wait that long, and the tree would just have to be cut.

Is there any way possible way this tree could survive a transplant now?

toddco
06-07-2002, 02:53 AM
I transplanted a fairly large dogwood last year with good success. It was earlier than this so it had a better chance, but if now is the only option then take it. Put it in some nice soil and hook up a drip irrigation line or soaker hose for it -- it'll need a ton of regular watering.

Mine looked a bit tired last year and I thought I'd moved too big a tree, but this year it is looking amazing.

AGLA
06-07-2002, 06:31 AM
It is risky, but can be done. Keep the remaining root ball as intact as possible. Get the client to alow you to delay this as long as possible. The harder the new groth - the better the chances. Also, spray it with an anti-transpirant like Wilt Pruf.
I successfully transplanted this japanese maple on a 98 degree July day in 1988. It was a move it or lose it situation. That was my father - teaching and supervising. I hope I get the attachment to work?

KenH
06-07-2002, 09:01 PM
Make sure you use a micorrhizae booster (Roots) or some other ammendment to help the damaged roots. Cover it when transporting, and water like crazy. It also wouldnt hurt to add a polymer (TerraSorb) to the soil to help hold water. You should be fine.

1MajorTom
06-07-2002, 10:19 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. :)

I'll speak to the customer and delay this if I can.
I'm also going to find someone more knowledgeable in our area to see if they can assist with this.

kris
06-08-2002, 07:19 AM
Jodi,

The way I look at situations like this are ... what have I got to lose ?

If they want it removed now then dig the biggest root ball you can ...gently rap and tie it in burlap ...transplant it as quickly as possible and water it plenty. If it dies your out some labor.
Good luck.

PS ... my yard is full of shrubs and trees that others have given up on ...newest addition is 2 weeping Larch ...the root ball s are much to small and they could not sell them..looks like one of the two is going to make it .... These retailed for $399.00 each and were sitting by the "bin" waiting for destruction.

noiseyvoyzey
04-23-2004, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by 1MajorTom
I believe I know the answer to this, but I'm going to ask hoping someone tells me what I wish I could hear. ;)

A customer no longer wants their dogwood tree which is located close to their home. They want it taken out and gotten rid of.

We want it for our own. I do not know the caliper, but it is not a huge tree. To dig around the root ball would require some work and Matt would need an extra pair of hands. There wouldn't be much profit in removing this tree this way, but we wouldn't be in it for profit, only for the tree which is a very fine specimen.

When can this tree be transplanted with a chance of living?

I believe the answer is when the tree is dormant with no leaves on it, probably sometime in March. The customer will not want to wait that long, and the tree would just have to be cut.

Is there any way possible way this tree could survive a transplant now?

I was just wondering if you had an success with the transplant, I am in the same situtation right now with a white dogwood, it would look GREAT in my front yard :)

dvmcmrhp52
04-23-2004, 10:33 PM
Upstart or some other root ammendment as has been mentioned and water,water,water.
TLC will keep it alive and well.

impactlandscaping
04-24-2004, 12:50 AM
Originally posted by KenH
Make sure you use a micorrhizae booster (Roots) or some other ammendment to help the damaged roots. Cover it when transporting, and water like crazy. It also wouldnt hurt to add a polymer (TerraSorb) to the soil to help hold water. You should be fine.

Exactly...:D

kris
04-25-2004, 02:57 AM
Just noticed this thread again Jodi ....did you transplant it?

D Felix
04-27-2004, 08:54 PM
I'm always amazed at what people dredge up.:)

It's possible to successfully transplant trees when out of dormancy, if care is taken.

About 3 years ago, I had to dig a fairly large Japanese maple and another fairly large Morhiem Spruce. In the middle of July. By hand...

I certainly did not want to dig them then, but had no choice. I suppose I was lucky with the maple... It was in a fork of a sidewalk, which didn't allow too much in the way of root development in that area. The Morhiem was somewhat restricted as well, though not as much.

I dug the balls on them as large as possible, and they were immediately put into a shady holding area. By the time we were ready to re-plant the trees, the Morhiem had lost many of it's needles due to being in the shade for too long, but the maple was fine. It's still alive and kick'n today, I'm proud to say. I'll see if I can find a picture.... The picture isn't too great, but that's the tree on the left side of the teahouse.

Dan

D Felix
04-27-2004, 08:57 PM
Sorry, apparently I couldn't attach a picture with my last message. Here's the pic....

Dan

David Shaw
04-28-2004, 09:15 AM
D Felix, cool teahouse. You'll have to post some pics when it's finished.

D Felix
04-30-2004, 09:53 AM
It's been finished for a while... I no longer have access to the site, so no further pictures.

Sorry.:(

Dan

1MajorTom
05-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by kris
Just noticed this thread again Jodi ....did you transplant it?

The customer gave it away to someone else before we could get it. We were disappointed.

Team Gopher
05-07-2004, 10:09 PM
Hi D Felix,

Very amazing! WOW!

Rollacosta
05-09-2004, 03:49 PM
correct stakeing or ground anchors are very important ..the tree doesnt want too much wind rock as this will stop the roots from anchoring in