PDA

View Full Version : Lock down equipment

chipk1
02-17-2010, 08:16 PM
What is the quickest way to keep equipment locked down during the day. I am tired of people stealing blowers out of my truck. 900.00 worth in 3 years. I don't want to have to use multiple locks if I can help it. What are you guys doing?

JCLawn and more
02-17-2010, 08:20 PM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00962011000P?vName=Sears%20Pro&cName=Professional&sName=Electrical&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a I though this thing would be cool. one lock, and its big

chipk1
02-17-2010, 08:24 PM
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00962011000P?vName=Sears%20Pro&cName=Professional&sName=Electrical&psid=FROOGLE01&sid=IDx20070921x00003a I though this thing would be cool. one lock, and its big

Nice try but that would not be to practical. Trying to maneuver blower, edger, trimmer, weed whip, ect.

JCLawn and more
02-17-2010, 08:29 PM
um, depends on the blower I guess. its 60inchs wide, 24inches long. could put 2-3 weed whackers on the bottom, and do the 3 more times with trays.

Vogel-Landscaping
02-17-2010, 08:39 PM
inclosed trailer!!!

JayD
02-17-2010, 08:47 PM
If you are solo or just have one truck you could get a hard cap for your truck bed. I have one and it works good.I built a shelf with plywood and placed all my hand helds on it. two blowers,one hedge trimmer,and a few other things like rakes,shovels and what not. The cap is lockable and your tools are out of site and the sun.

I also have a 2x8 board across the bottom and stop the shelf about 2' short of the bed length so I have a place to put my gas cans and buckets. There is space under the shelf for putting tools that I don't use to much.

chipk1
02-17-2010, 08:50 PM
inclosed trailer!!!

Thanks for teh idea but my wallet is not that fat!

Vogel-Landscaping
02-17-2010, 08:51 PM
If you are solo or just have one truck you could get a hard cap for your truck bed. I have one and it works good.I built a shelf with plywood and placed all my hand helds on it. two blowers,one hedge trimmer,and a few other things like rakes,shovels and what not. The cap is lockable and your tools are out of site and the sun.

I also have a 2x8 board across the bottom and stop the shelf about 2' short of the bed length so I have a place to put my gas cans and buckets. There is space under the shelf for putting tools that I don't use to much.

i used to have a locking box welded onto my trailer. it was on the front and high enough to get the front wheels of a mower under. i personally have dump trucks so i couldnt build a cap. around here most people want their lawns boxed so we take a lot of grass a day. i used to have to shovel all that out of the truck. now i have dump trucks life is good!!! but if you have the funds man nothing beats the security of an enclosed. most of the time ppl wont mess with your stuff if your gates up because they wont know whats inside! out of sight out of mind!!

chipk1
02-17-2010, 08:56 PM

Not a bad Idea. I thought about that but I liked the convenience of the trimmer rack. How cumbersome is it getting stuff in and out? I like the idea of being out of the weather.

JayD
02-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Not a bad Idea. I thought about that but I liked the convenience of the trimmer rack. How cumbersome is it getting stuff in and out? I like the idea of being out of the weather.

Oh I forgot to say, on my truck, I have the crew cab ford 2005 so my bed is short. Too short for my trimmers. For the trimmers I have a trimmer rack on my trailer.

I will try to take some pix of my set up under the cap so you can see. You have to get a little creative with it. I had to screw down small pieces of wood around each hand held & screwed in eye bolts on each side so I can us a small bungee cord to strap them down so the wont bounce around or turn over. I don't know what I will do when I buy a back pack blower but I will come up with something.

When I started out with a 5x10 trailer and a 52" W/B I had to come up with something that was quick and good to hold my mower down for it bounced around a lot. I will take pix of that to later.

blakerugg
02-17-2010, 11:47 PM
i dont know if these will provide enough protection for your peace of mind but try the stuff at trailerracks.com

RickR1818
02-17-2010, 11:48 PM
I use and SUV. It is sooo nice having the hand helds and tools locked up. I need to get a truck this year and still dont know what I will do because the whole idea of getting a truck is to have a bed available so putting a cab on is kinda pointless? Thought about getting an enclosed trailer or even a box truck but then what do i do with mulch and cleanups? no magic solution beyond having more than 1 truck or trailer.

mowerbrad
02-18-2010, 12:07 AM
Why not just get the lockable racks for your trailer?

Hawg City Lawns
02-18-2010, 12:28 AM
lock it to this

blakerugg
02-18-2010, 12:29 AM
Why not just get the lockable racks for your trailer?

thats what i suggested, maybe he is looking for the added protection of a tonneau or enclosed trailer or whatever?

New2TheGreenIndustry
02-18-2010, 05:43 AM
What about a cable and lock. Depending on the length of the cable, you could go through the handles of your trimmers etc, around the angle on the trailer through the backpack and put a lock on it. I would not leave it somewhere overnight, but it will keep things from walking off while in the gas station etc.

motorscot
02-18-2010, 06:26 AM
What about a cable and lock. Depending on the length of the cable, you could go through the handles of your trimmers etc, around the angle on the trailer through the backpack and put a lock on it. I would not leave it somewhere overnight, but it will keep things from walking off while in the gas station etc.

That's what I was using before my enclosed trailer. Got mine from Home Depot in the hardware section by the locks. You can barely see it in my pics (just the shadow in one)

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=299201

JCLawn and more
02-18-2010, 06:58 AM
could just get a hard truck bed cover with a lock on it. I thought about that too.

groundskeeperllc
02-18-2010, 08:03 AM
If you need something reasonable, at most hardware stores, walmart, or tractor supply you can find a cable with a loop on each end (4'-5' long $10) and buy a masterlock combination (the gold one about $20) and your in business, run it through one of your stake pockets and run it through handles and straps of equipment, this should slow them down

JCLawn and more
02-20-2010, 11:13 PM
http://www.trailerracks.com/ look at this web site

P&C Lawn Care
02-20-2010, 11:51 PM
Every thought about using a heavy chain and lock? For things that get put in the bed we use a heavy duty chain and run it though the corner truck eyelets (made for strapping stuff down in the corner stakes) and then run it though the handle. Nothing is completly theft proof but it deters the grab and go thieves. You can even use a combination lock that can't be picked or needs a key. This is just when your out working during the day, not leaving overnight or unattended for long periods of time. This would work until you can get a lockable trailer rack which is what you need. The Extreme series trailer racks by Greentouch are the best for trimmers and blowers. Best for theft proofing and keeping equipment from being damaged during transport.

JayD
02-21-2010, 12:47 AM
http://www.trailerracks.com/ look at this web site

Oh yeah, I want to get this rack to replace the crap one I got from TRIMMER TRAP or what ever its called. This one will no dought stop my trimmers from spinning around.....

Trevor8
02-25-2010, 04:28 PM
get a retractable hardcover for your truck bed

STIHL GUY
02-25-2010, 09:55 PM
i have a cap for my truck but it is really hard to put debris/grass clippings and unload them

J & D Greens
02-27-2010, 12:55 AM
In this thread is the way I made my Blower rack I think it is locked up about as well as you are going to get and the locks are keyed all the same so I only have to reach for one key and you have to keep locking the equipment you are not using at the time anyway. Hope this might help,David

J & D Greens
02-27-2010, 12:56 AM
opps here is the link
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?p=3357452#post3357452

Charles
02-28-2010, 09:29 AM
No matter what you do it is going to be inconvenient. Still better than giving your stuff away:

SUV
Enclosed trailer
Logging chain with locks
Locked cages/racks
Lock your truck up at all times!
Alarm System.
Put things in a garage or other enclosure over night because most thieves carry lock and chain cutters. No way leave your equipment on the Trailer.

One slip up and you can easily be a victim of the scum bags of the world.

chipk1
02-28-2010, 07:48 PM
Settled for this:

Edger, string trimmers, and hedge trimmer on locking trimmer rack.

Blower, gas cans, Backpack sprayer in truck bed locked using a cable with one lock on each end locking to eyelets on both sides of bed making it easier to get to items from either side.

All locks use matching key.

Feel a bit better now. I need a larger trailer that has a caged rack on the front, but probably not until next season unless economy gets better this year?? Yea right!

J & D Greens
02-28-2010, 08:16 PM
Settled for this:

Edger, string trimmers, and hedge trimmer on locking trimmer rack.

Blower, gas cans, Backpack sprayer in truck bed locked using a cable with one lock on each end locking to eyelets on both sides of bed making it easier to get to items from either side.

All locks use matching key.

Feel a bit better now. I need a larger trailer that has a caged rack on the front, but probably not until next season unless economy gets better this year?? Yea right!

I know where you are coming from. We have to make head way sometimes one season at a time. There is so much I would like to achieve right away but I have to be happy just where I am at, since the economy still is so vol-ital.

blakerugg
02-28-2010, 09:44 PM
forgot to mention, i park the backhoe over the trailer tongue every night and the trailer is backed up against the wall of the barn