PDA

View Full Version : british style landscape

michael bucher
02-25-2000, 02:20 PM
We have a new commercial account that has asked us to bid on a new office complex they are building. The attorney in charge has told us that they want a "british look" to the landscaping. I have no idea what that means, but I don't want to asked and sound unprofessional. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

paul
02-25-2000, 04:37 PM
Boy, when their Attorney starts asking for what they want in landscaping I get away! Without looking at the front facade hard to say. If it will work you will be using alot of yews, boxwood and evergreens,also lots of ground covers and the traditional english perennial garden, high up keep lots of weeding. Their attorney ?<p>----------<br>paul<br>

michael bucher
02-25-2000, 04:50 PM
<br>Hey thanks for the input paul. I know, it's kinda wierd dealing with an attorney, but that's the way they run their show. Your ideas are helpful.

paul
02-25-2000, 04:56 PM
If you have a picture you could send me?<br>palnelson@aol.com<p>----------<br>paul<br>

Lanelle
02-25-2000, 05:22 PM
A formal English look will focus on the shrubs that Paul mentioned, sheared into formal shapes--even topiary. English Boxwood could be left to develop its natural 'billowy cloud' shape.<br>Also consider incorporating formal hardscape elements such as neo-classical urns or columns. Those elements are very site-dependent. A picture is helpful. <br>If you are thinking of doing an informal, cottage garden look, think in terms of a wide perennial border. Use varying heights and bloom times to create a undulating effect rather than a &quot;stadium effect&quot; (that's the tall in the back, mid height in the middle, short in the front look). A book that has good pictures is 'Great English Gardens' by Lawson and Taylor from Phoenix Illustrated.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>

Lanelle
02-26-2000, 02:12 AM
Here are some web sites that you might like to visit to get a feeling for the style that you are looking for.<br>www.rbgkew.org.uk<br>www.doaks.org<br>www.longwoodgardens.org<br>These sites all have visual 'tours' of the gardens. Some have links to other worthwhile web sites. Hope this helps.<p>----------<br>Lanelle<br>

michael bucher
02-27-2000, 09:55 AM
Hey thanks Lanelle for the info. on the web sites. I'm going to check them out right now.