PDA

View Full Version : Tine-rake vs. power rake for dethatching

fiveoboy01
02-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Pros/cons of each?

Tine rake(JRCO etc) doesn't pull up as much material, but I wonder if there is less soil disturbance? While the flail type power rake really pulls up the thatch but is it harder on the root system?

I've used both and own one JRCO(ordering another for the Z), rented the power rake for small gates.

What are your experiences with either? Is a power rake desirable for the extra thatch removal, or is a tine-rake style sufficient?

grassman177
02-20-2010, 03:47 AM
depends on the job and grass. i would say in general the jrco is great, but if thatch is bad and you are going to overseed too,then power rake. i for one, have not used a power rake in like 8 yrs. no real need as there is normally not al lthat much thatch buildup a goo aeration cant handle. this is cool season grasses

AzLawnMan
02-20-2010, 01:29 PM
I own to de-thatchers and I usually break them out twice a year. Once before I overseed and in the spring time when the summer grass starts to grow again. If you can afford it buy one. They are great machines and they last. I have had both of mine for around 10 years and they start on one pull everytime, no matter how long they have been sitting. I will be selling these this summer and buying 2 new ones.

mowerbrad
02-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I bought my Jrco tine rake dethatcher about 3 years ago (I think) and it paid for itself in the first day. Most of my customers like the tine rake much better since it isn't so agressive on the lawns, so that is actually a selling point around me. I've only had 1 person complain about it, but I wasn't going to go rent a power rake just to do one account. And the customer that complained was one that complained all year about stupid crap.

But anyway, for me the tine rake is a much better investment, but for others the power rake would be better. I just like the tine rake since it isn't so agressive and I can use it while on the ztr, so I knock out accounts in the time it takes to mow.

I should also add that the accounts I dethatch are done once a year by me, every spring.

betmr
02-21-2010, 10:25 AM
I am absolutely amazed at how many "professionals" seem to think that De-Thatching is an on going maintenance procedure. The fact is, De-Thatching is something that is done, only when Thatch build up has become a problem. And a Vertical Mower is definitely the machine to do it. Of course there is a shock to the plants, but this is something that goes away, and the plants come back healthier after.

It's kind of like pruning shrubs. You take out mostly old and dead branches, in order to direct energy to the younger stock.

You De-Thatch every year, or every time you mow, you are taking away a lot of young healthy grass. De-Thatching should only be done when needed. So When needed, Rent a Vertical Mower and do it. Not run a tine rake over the lawn every time you mow.

fiveoboy01
02-21-2010, 10:53 AM
Who said anything about doing it every time you mow?

There are plenty of reputable sources that state yearly dethatching is an acceptable procedure... This "professional" will take their advice over yours.

betmr
02-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Of course you can do what you wish. But the truth is, Thatch is something that builds up over time, and it is only necessary to De-Thatch when that build up gets to the point of restricting the flow of nutrients and water to the soil.

And I also could get a hair cut every day, or I can get it cut when It needs it. The choice is mine, right? It's the old saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And while I have some attention, I would like someone to explain to me how, not mowing properly, contributes to Thatch build up. I keep reading that everywhere I see a thread on Thatch.

P.S. Five, how 'bout you share these reputable sourses with us. I would be interested to see who thinks it's a good thing to rip up turf Rizomes & Stolons every year.

AzLawnMan
02-21-2010, 02:16 PM
It is recommened to de-thatch your lawn(s) about once every 2 years. But depending on the type of grass and the enviroment that you are in it can be done 1-2 times per year. St. Aug, Kentucky Blue and Bermuda grasses are some of the few that will build up alot of thatch during a regular season. The only way to really know is to take a sample of the turf and ground. The same way you would aerate a lawn, you want to make the plug around 3-4 inches long if the top part of the plug is longer than 1/2-3/4 of an inch in thatch then you would need to de-thatch. A trained eye can do this just by pulling up some of the soil by hand. Like I said before, I do all of my lawns twice per year. Once in the spring, and once when I over seed. I have never had any problems in the 10 years I have been doing this. It is very important that after you thatch that you fertilize the lawn to replace the nutrients you have just removed.

Landscraper1
02-21-2010, 04:17 PM
Pros/cons of each?

Tine rake(JRCO etc) doesn't pull up as much material, but I wonder if there is less soil disturbance? While the flail type power rake really pulls up the thatch but is it harder on the root system?

I've used both and own one JRCO(ordering another for the Z), rented the power rake for small gates.

What are your experiences with either? Is a power rake desirable for the extra thatch removal, or is a tine-rake style sufficient?

This is the question asked right? Not when you should do it but which rake is better right?
Well, in my experience the JRCO rake is good for a light dethatching. It's pretty much good for doing the spring cleanups. You pass over the grass and it will do as much as a hand leaf rake will do, but faster. And it won't bust those sprinkler heads.
For a real good "dethatching" you need to use the power rake. It takes much longer but, definitly does a better job.
I personally use the JRCO rake every spring. The power rake is used only if there is a thatch problem or for overseeding. Most of my lawns, we collect the clippings so, build up of thatch is not usually a problem.:)

fiveoboy01
02-22-2010, 12:57 AM
This is the question asked right? Not when you should do it but which rake is better right?
Well, in my experience the JRCO rake is good for a light dethatching. It's pretty much good for doing the spring cleanups. You pass over the grass and it will do as much as a hand leaf rake will do, but faster. And it won't bust those sprinkler heads.
For a real good "dethatching" you need to use the power rake. It takes much longer but, definitly does a better job.
I personally use the JRCO rake every spring. The power rake is used only if there is a thatch problem or for overseeding. Most of my lawns, we collect the clippings so, build up of thatch is not usually a problem.:)

Someone who understood the question:) Thanks.

grassman177
02-22-2010, 09:14 AM
yup, detatching is only needed in certain locals with different grasses and only if thatch has become an issue. thatch on a small level is a good thing to have for compost as OM and weather guard for the soil. ihave only come across(cool season grasses here) a few lawns in my lifetime that actually needed a de thatching. it just does not build up here unless everything else you are doing to the lawn is jsut wrong.

LB1234
02-22-2010, 11:40 AM
I am absolutely amazed at how many "professionals" seem to think that De-Thatching is an on going maintenance procedure.

IMHO it is an on-going maintenance procedure. Granted it doesn't need to be done every year or perhaps even every two, but just because it isn't done every year doesn't mean that it isn't a maintenance procedure.

We have a power rake (flail) that we use for really heavy applications or if we need to get a good overseed (combine with aeration I believe works best). We also have a pull behind 40" (??) one that we bought from home cheapo about seven or eight years ago. It actually works pretty good if you take your time and do it right. You can't travel to fast with it (otherwise it just bounces around) and we like to try and hit it twice at ninety degree angles to one another.

betmr
02-22-2010, 07:24 PM
IMHO it is an on-going maintenance procedure. Granted it doesn't need to be done every year or perhaps even every two, but just because it isn't done every year doesn't mean that it isn't a maintenance procedure.

We have a power rake (flail) that we use for really heavy applications or if we need to get a good overseed (combine with aeration I believe works best). We also have a pull behind 40" (??) one that we bought from home cheapo about seven or eight years ago. It actually works pretty good if you take your time and do it right. You can't travel to fast with it (otherwise it just bounces around) and we like to try and hit it twice at ninety degree angles to one another.

If you had been here last night, you would understand what I said. There were a lot of posts on this thread that were removed for some reason. Many were talking about De-Thatching two and three times a year. I don't know where they all went, but there were more pages here last night. I know that aeration and De-Thatching are maint. practices, But just not something you do when you have nothing else to do, if you understand my meaning. When Thatch is a problem De-Thatch, when soil is compacted, Aerate. That's my point.

LB1234
02-22-2010, 11:29 PM
I know that aeration and De-Thatching are maint. practices, But just not something you do when you have nothing else to do, if you understand my meaning. When Thatch is a problem De-Thatch, when soil is compacted, Aerate. That's my point.

*trucewhiteflag*

agreed:waving::waving::waving: