PDA

View Full Version : Home Use Riding Mowers

b.j.haynes
06-09-2002, 12:29 PM
We are looking to buy a new riding mower. We have never owned one. We just built a house and have 3 acres of land that we are going to need to mow. Are there any residential use lawnmowers that you could reccomend? We can't exatly afford a cub cadet or a john deere. Are there any other good mowers out there? We have been looking at Yard Machines, Troybilts and some others and we just don't know which is junk and which has a god reputation. Any help or advice that anyone can give us would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, b.j.haynes:)

lee b
06-09-2002, 12:38 PM
Troybilts, cost as much or more than comparible Deeres. Go ahead and get one that'll last for many years, Nothing Runs Like A Deere.

Mowingman
06-09-2002, 02:23 PM
I know of two garden tractors that are pretty cheap and reported to hold up well for homeowner use. One is the "Sabre" line made by John Deere. The other is the "Scotts" line, made now also by John Deere. Both brands are commonly avail. at Home Depot or
Lowes stores. The big trouble with them, is getting repairs done if something does go wrong. The big stores do repair them, but around here it may take2 - 3 weeks to get them back from the shop. The local JD dealer will also fix them, but since he does not sell them, they go to the bottom of the shop schedule and they get fixed when he feels like fixing them. Also, don't overlook the Toro/Wheelhourse line. They have an older style Wheelhorse that has a standard trans. It is built like a tank and is one of the best buys of any garden tractor I have seen. I believe the model numbers are in the "300" or "400" series such as 310,312, and 416.:)

wxmn6
06-09-2002, 11:01 PM
If you said you have 3 acres of land, then you would need a large lawn and garden tractor like John Deere which will be excellent. Go with the John Deere GT or GX series (the same as 300 series). ;) These tractors can do more than just mowing. They can do dozens other things. They will last for many years with proper care and maintenance. John Deere is well known for quality and excellent dealer services. Nothing Runs Like A Deere. :cool:

stslawncare
06-10-2002, 09:09 AM
for 3 acres i would get atleast a 48" if not bigger, i would also get at a minimum 20 hp, i wouldnt so much worry about brand but what sizes they offer and service.

FrankenScagMachines
08-08-2002, 10:23 PM
Wheel Horse 500 series. Best quality for the buck, comparable to Deere and Cub, whatever else you want to put it up to. A few less bells and whistles for alot less money. Excellent machines. Do yourself a favor and don't get a cheap thing from a department store (Home Depot-Cheapo, Wal Mart, Lowes,) you will be sore when you get off of them, they're harder to use, less comfortable, built cheaply and don't last as long can't endure three acres as easily as better brands, get a good brand sold at a dealer with a 60" side discharge deck and get cuttin'! Enjoy long life and good service from your machine and dealer. Don't go to a store where you'll get 'screwed, blued, and tattooed' all at the same place :p Also make sure it's a hydrostatic transmission with foot pedal control and make sure the steering is easy and quick and tight.
Here's the ones to look at:
Wheel Horse
Simplicity
John Deere (not as good as they used to be, they're overpriced for the machine if you ask me, too pricey)
Cub Cadet
Gravely (not sure if they have a hydrostatic one or not, maybe only gear drive which you dont' want for 3 acres trust me)

Simplicity would be my first choice. Best cut and stripe of ANY mower in the world (ok residential mower). If you dont want to spend as much money (which sounds like the case) then Wheel Horse and Cub Cadet may be the better choice. Wheel Horse cuts excellent and I'm not sure how the Cub compares there...
Good luck,
Eric

Scag48
08-11-2002, 08:36 PM
I agree with bushhogboy, JD's are TOO EXPENSIVE! A decent sized JD is about $5000. I say bite the bullet and buy a used ZTR. They will mow faster anyway and last just as long. Just a thought.

DLS1
08-11-2002, 09:53 PM
Don't buy a ztr. This is way overkill. A good used Sears hydrostatic or other lawn tractor will do. We live on 5 acres and there is never every a way I could justify buying a used ztr unless I am using it to mow for others for money. A good used ztr will cost you $5,000 and then may have alot of hours on it. The parts to fix a ztr can be very expensive. Yes a ztr will last you forever just mowing your property so go for it if you have the money for it and like expensive fun toys.

65hoss
08-12-2002, 06:01 AM
Since this is a tractor forum let me offer a new prospective. Why not a used tractor and a finishing mower?

Tractors are made to go lots of hours. More than any garden tractor. The finishing mower on 3 acres is much faster than a garden tractor. The cut will be better. You can do many more things with a tractor. Garden tractors only cut grass and pull a little cart. A real tractor can do that and tons more things.

nucoach
11-12-2002, 09:30 PM
First of all, being a proud owner of JD garden tractors for many years I will be the first to admit that they are a little overpriced, however I do believe that you get what you pay for and I have always had great service from them. As far as Sabre and Scotts go, both lines are being dropped by Deere. Getting them serviced is still no problem as mentioned in another reponse, however it is true that your John Deere dealer may give higher priority to JD. A finishing tractor such as a farmall a,b, or c with a 5 or 6ft woods belly mower may seem like overkill, however also as mentioned in an earlier response their versatility exceeds a garden tractor, and the cost is much less. Even though one of these models can be considered a collector if in prime shape, you may still only pay $2000-$2500. At this price you are at half the price of a middle priced deere with a wider cut.

Good luck with your decision!

GreginAlaska
11-17-2002, 02:01 PM
If they buy a tractor, they would probably want to make sure they get it with turf tires.

PaulJ
11-17-2002, 11:37 PM
Along the lines of what hoss said---
My wifes Uncle.. uses an old 8N ford with "turf tires" and a 6ft finish moer mounted on the three point. leaves a nice cut and is very manuverable for it's size. my Father in-law has an IH Farmall super A with a belly mount mower, not sure how much he uses it.

If you have alot of open space this might be a good option for you. plus a tractor with hydrolics and/or a three point hitch would be useful for other things like grading and moving snow.

Envy Lawn Service
12-18-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by nucoach
As far as Sabre and Scotts go, both lines are being dropped by Deere.

Actually they are not being dropped. They are actually being added to the John Deere line for 2003. The will be the new L100 series. I've already seen them on the showroom. I don't know if they will still make an orange one for Home Depot or not.

For the money they are pretty solid mowers and the Scotts brand was still solid when they were in truth made by Murray at the time, not John Deere.

If I were looking for a new lawn tractor I'd either buy a John Deere LT 180 or larger or a Simplicity Conquest.

Simplicity can also be found under these brand names as well...

Massey Ferguson and AGCO

See if you can't get them to drag one out for you since you'll be putting out quite a bit on one. The 2 mowers I listed are vastly different in design. The Simplicity has a deck that rides on a rear deck roller while the JD is suspended. Simplicity has differential lock and JD does not.

If you can't afford either of these, the JD L100 would be OK. Otherwise seak out a Yard King mower with a twin cylinder Kolher or drop by Wal-Mart and pick up a 52" Stanley. My local store has them on sale right now for $2,000. The Stanely is the same as Yard King other than the engine.

By the way, I mow part time commercially with lawn tractors. So I know what's good and what's not.

hosejockey2002
12-19-2002, 01:07 AM
I agree with 65hoss. For $5K you can get hooked up with a 2wd diesel tractor (used of course) and a finish mower. Running a finish mower is pretty easy on these machines and they use about half the fuel of a gas riding mower. If all you do is mow once a week or so a tractor like my Yanmar 1401D should last 30 more years with proper maintenance.

crawdad
12-19-2002, 05:57 AM
Originally posted by Envy Lawn Service
Actually they are not being dropped. They are actually being added to the John Deere line for 2003. The will be the new L100 series. I've already seen them on the showroom. I don't know if they will still make an orange one for Home Depot or not.

For the money they are pretty solid mowers and the Scotts brand was still solid when they were in truth made by Murray at the time, not John Deere.

By the way, I mow part time commercially with lawn tractors. So I know what's good and what's not.

Well, I tried mowing full time with a Scott, and the frame broke. It had only one brace under the rear axle, unlike the Sabre's two. The following year, the new ones had two braces. As I have said before, I work my stuff. They ain't made for free-wheeling. They would, however, be good enough for 3 acres. I would sell you my Scott (with a new frame, and two braces) but we can't advertise here, and my wife uses it once or twice a year.
Whoever said a garden tractor is only good for mowing and pulling a little cart has never had a Gravely.
I wish I could be more help. Test-drive a bunch of them. Is it a comfortable ride? Are the controls in easy reach, and are they intuitive (easy to figure out)? Does the seller do the serviceing of the machine, or do they send it out? Where do they send it? Go to the place they send it, ask about problems.
Crawdad

grassdaddy
12-21-2002, 12:21 PM
bought a huskee 20hp 42" cut from tractor supply last nov.cost less than a thousand.put about 300 hours on it since. have replaced deck belt once.have had no other problems.i've got my 1000 out of it!:cool:

greengardens
01-10-2003, 04:32 PM
I have a 1999 Simplicity 18hp /48in deck,mows good and stripes good,also have a 42 in single stage snowblower , it also works very good, excellent value for the money.

b.j.haynes
01-11-2003, 12:07 AM
Thanks for all the help but I already got a John Deer Scott's brand rideing mower. It is a vary good lawn mower so far. Thanks for all the input. :angel:

JD345
01-13-2003, 08:21 PM
Just get the Deere. They are more in terms of cost, but last a lot longer with fewer repairs. My Deere that I use for my business has 1,700 hours and runs great. Has never had to be in for any major service.
Many lawns I cut are because people have broken tractors and the ones that I find break most are Cub Cadet or Sears.

crawdad
01-14-2003, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by b.j.haynes
We are looking to buy a new riding mower. We have never owned one. We just built a house and have 3 acres of land that we are going to need to mow. Are there any residential use lawnmowers that you could reccomend? ...........
Thanks, b.j.haynes:)
Wait aminute, you say that you want a machine to mow your three acres. Then, in another thread, on 12/30/02, you say
Hello, I'm starting a lawn care bueiness this spring, and I need some good opinions on a name. Here is what I thought of so far, Turf Pride, Cutting Edge, Turf Pro, or something. I will be a very small company. I only have push mowers, but I'm willing to do what it takes to operate a succesfull business. You see I'm a school janitor, and I want to operate a lawn care business part time. Thank you all.
If you are willing to "do what it takes", why buy a homeowner machine to work with, after asking our advice? I'm confused?
:confused:
Crawdad

buttaluv
01-18-2003, 10:38 PM
Well, alot of people knock sears, but I've had one for 4 years and had real good luck with it. I average 7 acres a week (2 farms and my yard), I've never had any trouble with it, except having to put a battery in it.... It's not as good as a J.D. or cub, but it was 1200.00 not 5,000.00...good luck!!!

Envy Lawn Service
01-21-2003, 02:25 AM
Thanks for all the help but I already got a John Deer Scott's brand rideing mower. It is a vary good lawn mower so far. Thanks for all the input. :angel:

Well, he's made his decision either way. So, I don't really see where it makes much difference "how" he intends to use to use the mower.

Contrary to popular belief on this forum, it does not require a huge investment in a mower to start a sucessful little business.

crawdad
01-21-2003, 06:46 AM
Of course it makes a difference. At first he asked for advice on a home use mower, then he said he's starting a business. Either way, I wish him luck with his mower, and with his business. That Scott can generate enough money to buy something a bit more heavy-duty, if he decides to go that route later.
Crawdad

Strawbridge Lawn
01-21-2003, 08:05 AM
I bought a Simplicity Coronet Hydro 14HP rear engine rider/bagger as my backyard mower for my business 2 years ago.
Has had a ton of use.. Prob 4-5 years if owned by a resident. I have had to replace the electric PTO and starter solenoid only.
Will be upgrading this year to a more commercial duty machine. This did everything I could have ever asked of it and is still going strong.

Envy Lawn Service
01-21-2003, 10:23 PM
Simplicity is a solid piece. One guy here mows commercially with their largest lawn tractor. As far as I know, he hasn't had any trouble at all. That thing moves too! It probably mows around 7 mph.

Flex-Deck
01-25-2003, 07:08 PM
Heck - If you mow more than two acres you may need the wide area mower - 9 1/2 feet on a 455 - extra engine and allhttp://Wide