PDA

View Full Version : Looked at the $1,900 wright stander today

outdoorsmanjw
02-21-2010, 01:40 AM
Well I looked at a 2007 wright stander today 36 inch cut was asking $2500 for it said they would take $1,900 its at a local pawn shop mower has 500 hrs on it with 500 hours. So I get there and the mower was in good shape from just looking at it. Then I start to get look around the motor and noticed oil coming from one of the head areas (head gasket maybe) then I notice under the mower a rather large oil puddle. I tried to smell the oil and didn't smell like motor oil could it have been hydro oil? I also noticed the motor ran rough as well, I did drive it around the lot a bit never above 2-3mph it seemed to go good and every was tight. I told them I would buy it right now if it was not leaking the oil. Oh yeah it looked like the muffler hit something while mowing and had a coat hanger on it. I offered them $1,500 for it and said they couldn't do that they will just hang on to it and sell it when if warms a bit. Should I pass on this because this would be my primary mower. I might take a friend of mine with me to see if we can pin point where the oil is coming from. What do you all think I should do. I am half tempted to just get a sit down zero turn maybe a 34 or 48 I really need to be able to do yards with gates I don't have accounts yet what do you sugjest.

KrayzKajun
02-21-2010, 01:43 AM
I don't have accounts yet what do you sugjest.

get some accounts first! then look for a mower!

Hawg City Lawns
02-21-2010, 01:48 AM
get some accounts first! then look for a mower!

i agree you dont know what type of equipment you need until you see some yards that you have

whitebp1
02-21-2010, 10:37 AM
if this will be your primary mower then you may want to cinsider looking for one that isnt leaking oil/fluids. theres no telling what other issues this unit may have as well ya know. price isnt bad though, if your capable to fixing whatever is wrong with it then it could easily be a good deal.

i might shop around a little more ive been watching craigslist and ebay alot lately people are giving mowers away right now.

ed2hess
02-21-2010, 07:57 PM
Unless you can fix it ....move on. It likely has oil leak on the top end if it is a Kawaski. These units are harder to work on because they are all crunched up.

outdoorsmanjw
02-21-2010, 10:46 PM
I can fix it myself I think it needs a head gasket

DT Lawn Care
02-22-2010, 12:19 AM
I can fix it myself I think it needs a head gasket

You want to pay $1900 for a machine that you don't know what's the matter with. I would treat this sale like you have to put a new engine on it, and ask yourself if you would pay $1900 for a machine without an engine. Passsssss

outdoorsmanjw
02-22-2010, 12:28 AM
Yeah I think I will pass on it

I MOW ALONE
02-22-2010, 12:38 AM
if your looking for a 34" i have a 34" encore ztr with 383 hours in real good condition. no leaks whatsoever and runs perfect. if you would be willing to make a trip to michigan. let me know

outdoorsmanjw
02-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Price and pics and what motor is on it

I MOW ALONE
02-22-2010, 01:17 AM
i have it listed on here for sale i will bump it to top so you can take a look. look in for sale section. would like $2500 and 15 hp kawaski.

outdoorsmanjw
02-22-2010, 04:11 AM
I will pass thanks

I MOW ALONE
02-22-2010, 10:38 AM
no problem just thought i would offer a mower with no problems. good luck

outdoorsmanjw
02-22-2010, 02:07 PM
Yeah to far to drive thanks though

RickR1818
02-22-2010, 07:20 PM
I have a Gravely 34Z I may be selling if you might be interested. I am in Indy. Not sure how far that is for you.

White Gardens
02-22-2010, 07:28 PM
I would look at a smaller walk-behind for around 1900, such as a Quick 36. If you don't have any yards, walking the ones you start out with won't be too bad.

I only have 5 yards, so I use a little Simplicity Coronet HO model mower. The thing is built great, has a 16 horse motor, and also a bagger attachment.

Love the thing for what I do. If I get more lawns this year I will upgrade to a ZTR and use the simplicity for backyards with gates.

STIHL GUY
02-22-2010, 09:54 PM
i agree you dont know what type of equipment you need until you see some yards that you have

thats a good point. make sure you have a few acounts first so you can pay it off as well

Manscape
02-22-2010, 10:12 PM
2 years ago I decided I wanted to go into business....I passed out over 200 flyers in a couple surrounding towns and got one phone call. $35 lawn. I went to The Home Depot and bought a small zero turn home-mercial toro. Buy it with the card, and get 12 months no minimum payments no interest. Cut that one lawn for the year...last summer I grew to 12 regular accounts and used the same machine. She made 4x what she was worth in those 2 seasons. I just upgraded this winter to 2 new commercial machines and I'm looking at 30 +/- regular lawns a couple of which are monsters.

IMO I'd get something new and cheap. Anything you buy used has the potential to give you problems. Anything you buy new, is the dealers/store's problem...for 2 years at least :usflag:

SouthernRoots_Lawn&Garden
02-22-2010, 10:21 PM
2 years ago I decided I wanted to go into business....I passed out over 200 flyers in a couple surrounding towns and got one phone call. $35 lawn. I went to The Home Depot and bought a small zero turn home-mercial toro. Buy it with the card, and get 12 months no minimum payments no interest. Cut that one lawn for the year...last summer I grew to 12 regular accounts and used the same machine. She made 4x what she was worth in those 2 seasons. I just upgraded this winter to 2 new commercial machines and I'm looking at 30 +/- regular lawns a couple of which are monsters.

IMO I'd get something new and cheap. Anything you buy used has the potential to give you problems. Anything you buy new, is the dealers/store's problem...for 2 years at least :usflag:

i did the same thing but at lowes with the troy built it cuts pretty good never had a problem with it and i had it about 3000 out the door from may to aug i paid it and my trailer off. long story short dont be scared of getting something thats not full blown commercial like a dixie chopper or gravely or whatever the case may be start small and you can always sell it when the times right and get your big name equip..

outdoorsmanjw
02-24-2010, 03:56 AM
Interested in the 34Z please PM me I am 2 and half hours from you will drive if its what I am looking for.

outdoorsmanjw
02-24-2010, 03:59 AM
I am paying with cash I sold my old fourwheeler for I want somthing that will hold up though and start with equitment I can use in almost any yard I can upgrade to a bigger mower latter if needed.

outdoorsmanjw
02-24-2010, 04:08 AM
I should of called on craigslist two weeks ago I was busy at the time with work and such sold for $1,700 with low hours I was really mad I missed it.

Lazer Cut
02-24-2010, 08:51 AM
HEY... dont buy that freaking wright stander...

I took a look too... they are total idiots. They told me they'd take $1500!! I said highest I'd go is $1200 cause I'd be putting a new engine on it... That mower is a PIECE OF S*IT... dont buy it... I believe its stolen and they are trying to unload it...

Just my thoughts

outdoorsmanjw
02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
I missed out on a 34z but I am not going to buy they wright stander they were shadey as hell that place was a **** hole

silverado212
02-24-2010, 07:38 PM
My Toro would be a good choice for you to start with.

outdoorsmanjw
02-24-2010, 07:47 PM
No thanks on your toro

IntegrityGuy
02-25-2010, 04:58 PM
Haha... i saw this mower too. Its a piece. i call every week asking them whats the least they would take. sometimes its 1800, or 2000, or 2500 firm. I always saw wow its only worth 1000$. eventually it will come down and i hope to buy it for a grand. But yeah when i went there with lazercut they said they would take a 1500$.

Z_1
03-05-2010, 10:41 PM
I've been planning my trip since last weekend, 3 1/2 hrs to florence ky from where I'm at. I had trouble with my brakes last weekend and couldn't go right away so I told them I'd come this weekend and a buddy of mine was going to drive me while my truck was in the shop. He backed out last minute and I had to scramble to borrow a truck and small trailer to make the trip. I thought I was prepared to leave out this morning and the owner of this mower called and said they had a better offer than my $2000. I told them I'd wait around til the bank opend and I'd match their offer, be there by noon. I got to the bank and found out I was still $400 short. I still was determined and borrowed the rest of the cash. I was on the highway and hammerd down, going to buy this exact mower. I got a few miles out of town and decided soomething wasn't right. I stopped driving and started praying for guidance. Loud and clear I heard "not today" and I turned around and came home. I had already talked to this girl at least 6 times and I called her to tell her I'd pass. Now I sit here tonight and just found this thread talking about the same craigslist mower in a pawn shop for $2500 or $2000 or $1500 and I'm counting my blessings. thanks guys

DKJLawnCare
03-05-2010, 10:51 PM
They must have suckered someone it is gone off craigslist

outdoorsmanjw
03-05-2010, 11:25 PM
Yeah I am glad you didn't buy it some one must have poor suckers unless they got it for 1000

NkyLawncare
03-05-2010, 11:30 PM
Amen Z1! Isn't it amazing how God works. OutdoorsmanJW, I sent you a PM, let me know what you think.

Z_1
03-06-2010, 10:06 AM
I believe the posting was taken from craigslist on thursday but the mower was still available saturday morning. She called me early saturday morning and the story she gave me was the "other guy" offered $2700 but the first one to come up with $2500 would take it. I called her back later that morning to tell her I had my $$$ together and she said good, the other guy isn't going to have his money for 2 weeks!
I sure hope no one bought it, especialy for that much money.
I'm blessed!

outdoorsmanjw
03-08-2010, 02:34 AM
When I went they said 1700 and I still didn't buy it all I know I am glad I didn't waste my money on it, and glad you didn't either.