PDA

View Full Version : Pros/Cons of different brand power rake/soil conditioner/harley rake

6x6man
02-21-2010, 03:45 AM
I'm in the market for a used soil conditioner attachment for my ASV RC-60. I'm thinking that a 72" unit would be about the right size. I need to buy used since cost is a consideration. I don't want to rent due to the hassle of picking up and returning equipment (I live in a rural area, not a lot of rental options near by), worrying about not getting the unit back in time, contaminating my equipments oil with that from the rental unit, etc.

I've used a "Rock Hound" in the past, but not the right piece of equipment for the projects I've got planned. Not to mention I like the versatility that the harley rake offers. I used a Quick Attach "Quick Power Scape" for a little but far from experienced

So, what are some of the pro/cons of each brand?

Glenco Harley Rake
Bobcat Soil Conditioner
Quick Attach Quick Power Scape
Caterpillar Power Box Rake, PR172
Nortec Piranha Landscape Rake (unique in that you can get a broom drum)

DiyDave
02-21-2010, 09:45 AM
Only one I have ever used, with my ASV-RC30, has been the harley rake. I have been completely satisfied with it, one pass to seed, several passes, to pile up dead sod and debris, prior to sodding. The fact that it is mounted out front makes it outwork any 3point mounted equipment. The only thing to watch out for is wire, cables, tree roots getting wrapped around the drum, and jamming or messing up the seals.:waving:

6x6man
02-22-2010, 03:30 AM
DiyDave,

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully others will reply with their experience. Let me expand on my thoughts or what I've read about each Brand.

Glenco Harley Rake - Uses a chain drive between the hydro motor and the drum. Is this a gear reduction? which would provide more power over a direct drive unit? Is the chain the 'weak link' (pun intended) in the drive system. Does the chain add much maint to the unit, does it have an auto tensioner? Is it oil bath or sealed o-ring type chain. How many hours do you get out of a chain/sprocket set? I guess the pro's of this design is that the motor is mounted inboard which offers it some protection and allows the machine to get a little closer to edges.

Bobcat Soil Conditioner- con: I read one post that the end plates can only be mounted on the front side of the unit. This prevents you from collecting debris when backing up. Has this been changed on later models?
pro: heavy duty construction

Direct drive motor location: I guess it depends on how you look at it. No chain to deal with but motor not as protected. Limits how close you can work to objects.

Quick Attach Quick Power Scape- Have not heard much discussion on this brand.

Caterpillar Power Box Rake, PR172- pro: I thought I read that you can install the end plates on front or rear side of drum.

Nortec Piranha Landscape Rake pro: Unique in that you can get a broom drum. Mfg is somewhat local to me, about 3.5 hours north of me in central WI.

DiyDave
02-22-2010, 07:18 AM
DiyDave,

Thanks for the reply. Hopefully others will reply with their experience. Let me expand on my thoughts or what I've read about each Brand.

Glenco Harley Rake - Uses a chain drive between the hydro motor and the drum. Is this a gear reduction? which would provide more power over a direct drive unit? Is the chain the 'weak link' (pun intended) in the drive system. Does the chain add much maint to the unit, does it have an auto tensioner? Is it oil bath or sealed o-ring type chain. How many hours do you get out of a chain/sprocket set? I guess the pro's of this design is that the motor is mounted inboard which offers it some protection and allows the machine to get a little closer to edges.

Bobcat Soil Conditioner- con: I read one post that the end plates can only be mounted on the front side of the unit. This prevents you from collecting debris when backing up. Has this been changed on later models?
pro: heavy duty construction

Direct drive motor location: I guess it depends on how you look at it. No chain to deal with but motor not as protected. Limits how close you can work to objects.

Quick Attach Quick Power Scape- Have not heard much discussion on this brand.

Caterpillar Power Box Rake, PR172- pro: I thought I read that you can install the end plates on front or rear side of drum.

Nortec Piranha Landscape Rake pro: Unique in that you can get a broom drum. Mfg is somewhat local to me, about 3.5 hours north of me in central WI.
6X6 man, good questions you are asking. Chain runs in oil bath gear case on left side of unit, hyd motor is your gear reduction unit, so be sure it is spec'd to the flow and pressure of your system. Has to have an auto slack adjuster, because there is little, if any chain slap, when you go from forward to reverse. I have no idea how long chain and sprocket will last, but running in gear oil, in an enclosed case, I would predict about the same life as a transfer case on a 4X4 jeep. They told me, when I bought the machine they were getting about 2K hours out of the roller drum, before it needs either a new drum, or new teeth welded on.:waving:

GreenLight
02-22-2010, 11:34 AM
I have only used the Harley Rake. That being said we use it religiously. It is by far the most used attachment we have for the dingo. Opinions will probably vary, but the Harley rake has almost made our tiller attachment & leveler purchase a waste of time. The rake can cut you in fairly deep if needed or when you get a little bit of experience you can use it as a final grade quick sweep and get great results. It can be a little cumbersome at times, but I believe that would apply across the board with any of the machines. As far as the mechanics of it all, im far from knowledgable on the topic, but we have run this attachment countless hours and it's durability has been quite impressive. Wish I could say the same for the dingos drive chains for the tires.

Bigred350
02-22-2010, 07:10 PM
I run a glenco harley rake and have had it for about 6-8 years. The drum is nearly wore out so that tells you haw long its been used. I have only had one problem with the chain. A few years ago the clip that holds the master link on the chain came loose and the chain came apart. I called and ordered a new master link and put it all back together, but this time i put a tack weld on the clip so it could not come off again. Other than that I plan on buying another one next year. Damn good machine.

JB1
02-22-2010, 07:28 PM
your harley and the cat rake are the same piece of equipment.

6x6man
02-23-2010, 02:07 AM
Thanks for the input so far.

I noticed that the Quick Attach Quick Power Scape drum has the carbide tips mounted on cones which are probably about 2-3" tall compared to the Harley and Bobcat tips which look like they are only 1" tall. Does this allow the Quick Attach Quick Power Scape to dig deeper more like a rototiller?