PDA

View Full Version : Honda HHT35S 4-stroke trimmer??

FOX8701
02-21-2010, 10:22 AM
My local dealer recommended one of these, said that i can take it home, new in box for under $300. its a 4-stroke, 35cc, and geared more towards commercial use? good deal? anybody use one? I'm trying to stay with 4-strokes, for most of my equipment.

this is the model: http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/products/modeldetail.aspx?page=modeldetail&section=P2TB&modelname=HHT35SLTAT&modelid=HHT35SLTAT

Diamond Dave
02-21-2010, 11:06 AM
Pretty good price, never run a 35 but we run 25's. They have there pluses and minuses but overall a decent unit.

FOX8701
02-21-2010, 12:05 PM
the 4 stroke engine has decent power opposed to a decent echo 2-stroke? comparable power?

anything to look out for with your 25? problems? how's line feeding?

JFGLN
02-21-2010, 12:24 PM
Too heavy at 14.8 lbs for me.

Alan0354
02-21-2010, 03:06 PM
It is super good price. It normal runs for $379. I have the HHT31SUNBA. It is very heavy and it is only cable drive. My biggest gribe is it does not have option of changing heads or put attachments.

On the up side, it is powerful. Honda engine is know to be very good. It is very very quiet and very smooth. The first time I use my M242 Shindy trimmer, I thought something wrong because it vibrate so much compare to the Honda.

If you think you need a dedicated trimmer, and if you are strong:weightlifter::weightlifter::weightlifter: and you need the super power, then go for it.

Diamond Dave
02-21-2010, 05:22 PM
They are heavy, and the stock heads suck. They don't seem to last very long and if you get any debris in them they are hard to line up to put on or off. I am going to try the Oregon speed feed heads next time. On the plus side the trimmers are very quiet, reasonably powerful, and will run FOREVER on a tank of gas.

Diamond Dave
02-21-2010, 05:25 PM
. My biggest gribe is it does not have option of changing heads or put attachments.

Not sure what you mean here? Have run a brushcutter blade on one and have used other line heads as long as the arbor is the same. I don't think you can run a hedge trimmer head or edger like some other brands though.

Alan0354
02-21-2010, 05:34 PM
Not sure what you mean here? Have run a brushcutter blade on one and have used other line heads as long as the arbor is the same. I don't think you can run a hedge trimmer head or edger like some other brands though.

You can only have the string trimmer and circular blade. Other brands can actually remove the gear head and put on a hedge trimmer attachment, power brush like Shindaiwa. Stihl have a whole slew of heads you can change. Honda is not well supported.

Also I had bad experience with Honda warranty. My trimmer bog after 8 months. The dealer insisted it was old gas which I wasn't. Long story short, Honda deny warranty, I paid half the cost and had a new carb. Still don't worked well. Luckily I took my old carb back. I opened the carb, fould a lot of metal fragments inside and one block the jet. I used compress air ( computer duster) blowed it out, clean and put it back together. Put the carb on the trimmer and work perfectly after that.

I needed a big trimmer and brush cutter those days. If I were to do it again, I would get the Stihl FS250. That supposed to last forever and they are going to discontinue that very soon. Might become a collector's item.

Merkava_4
02-21-2010, 08:10 PM
Also I had bad experience with Honda warranty. My trimmer bog after 8 months. The dealer insisted it was old gas which I wasn't. Long story short, Honda deny warranty, I paid half the cost and had a new carb. Still don't worked well. Luckily I took my old carb back. I opened the carb, fould a lot of metal fragments inside and one block the jet. I used compress air ( computer duster) blowed it out, clean and put it back together. Put the carb on the trimmer and work perfectly after that.

The only explanation I can come up with for you having
metal fragments in your carburetor is the fragments
went in with the fuel. I'd suggest you never shop at
that gas station again. :D

Alan0354
02-21-2010, 08:16 PM
The only explanation I can come up with for you having
metal fragments in your carburetor is the fragments
went in with the fuel. I'd suggest you never shop at
that gas station again. :D

No, I use it for every other piece of equipment. It won't pass through the filter anyway. You are talking about quite a sizable one that can block the jet. The trimmer have more power since.

ACEMowing
02-23-2010, 12:51 PM
The cool thing about the 35cc is that you can lock the throttle in cruise mode which is probably 1/2 speed for all of your normal trimming. When you hit the big patch of weeds you can open it up and I've found them to be VERY powerful. The 4 stroke kind of catches up with itself whereas in the same situation you'd have to pull the 2 stroke out to let it rev back up.

And yes, that's an awesome price. We gave around $379 and that was around 4 years ago.

Alan0354
02-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Honda should be reliable.....well not mine!!!!:laugh::laugh: But the important thing to consider is whether you want to carry 15lbs around? Also what you see is what you get, no more add on attachments. I regret mine because later I saw Shindaiwa and Stihl has the power brush attachment that I need for cleaning concrete floor.

If you have a lot of tall weeds to clean, it would be useful. It is powerful and smells better than the legendary FS250. I am sure if you spend hours trimming, it is healthier using this than the 2 cycle. But notice there are other 4Mix and C4 34+cc big trimmers also that are as strong, lighter and 4 cycle clean too.......not this price though.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
02-23-2010, 02:58 PM
I have one . It's a brute I put a stihl hedge trimmer on it and works just fine . Best of my knowledge all the Stihl heads work on it !! But I use all my red max for just trimming . But do grab the Honda on the over grow stuff.

R.L. Hale Landscaping LLC
02-23-2010, 03:03 PM
i had a honda 4 stroke trimmer and put a shindaiwa speed feed head on it. easy to reload and great on gas with no mix to worry about. Great trimmer... to bad mine got stolen and i just replaced with a 2 stroke shindaiwa

eaminat
02-23-2010, 03:10 PM
Honda string trimmers are very good. As long as you maintain them you will not have any problems. In the summer when you run the honda trimmer all day change the oil once a day. I will only take about 3 minutes and 2 ounces of oil. I replace the end of my trimmers every couple years just because they wear from taping it on the ground.
Pat

Alan0354
02-23-2010, 07:04 PM
I have one . It's a brute I put a stihl hedge trimmer on it and works just fine . Best of my knowledge all the Stihl heads work on it !! But I use all my red max for just trimming . But do grab the Honda on the over grow stuff.

You sure the Stihl gear head will fit the Honda trimmer? That would be very good news for me. I just want to verify these are the attachments I can fit on my Honda trimmer:

http://www.stihlusa.com/accessories/interchangeable.html

I have the bike handle, perfect for the KB brush.

Mike's LawnCare Landscape
02-23-2010, 07:38 PM
I have the sthil hedge trimmer on my honda right now !! I can go and take pics if you like in the morning !!!

Alan0354
02-23-2010, 08:16 PM
I have the sthil hedge trimmer on my honda right now !! I can go and take pics if you like in the morning !!!

That's ok, You don't need to do that. I am just so surprised and happy to hear that. When the time come to clean concrete, I'll go to the dealer and try it out. That would really save me money buying another trimmer where I have three already.