PDA

View Full Version : Perkins motor Radiator hose

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-21-2010, 11:43 AM
last time i had our rc100 out stacking snow i realized that the lower rad. hose was rubbing against the water pump housing and developed a leak where it wore through aganist a bolt head.

i called the shop and they want $130 for this 3" corrugated hose, book says it 45" long.

my question is, can i use any old 3" hose that i can find at NAPA or auto parts store? i mean the cooling system isnt under any higher pressure than a standard cooling system, say 13-16psi right?

there are some semi truck shops around by me and they should have something along those lines.

bobcat_ron
02-21-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't see why not, some rad hoses are bent jusst in the right spot to fit around parts of the engine.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-22-2010, 12:30 AM
it seems to be just a generic corrugated hose, its not a smooth preformed one. im gonna stop at these truck shops tomoro and see what i can find.

Nelson M Martin
02-22-2010, 08:09 AM
it seems to be just a generic corrugated hose, its not a smooth preformed one. im gonna stop at these truck shops tomoro and see what i can find.

It is also possible to get 2 hose clamps and a short piece of pipe to fit inside the hose (if its on a straight part of the hose) then just cut the hose where it has the leak and splice it with the pipe and clamps.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-22-2010, 10:27 AM
i was thinking about splicing it somehow, just worried if it would seal properly due to the crinkles in the hose though.

ioilyouin
02-22-2010, 11:35 AM
It is also possible to get 2 hose clamps and a short piece of pipe to fit inside the hose (if its on a straight part of the hose) then just cut the hose where it has the leak and splice it with the pipe and clamps.

That would be a good temp fix, but it's no solution to rely on for the long run. You've just added two new places to spring a leak.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-22-2010, 12:51 PM
i stopped at like 4 places this morning and one might be able t order something in. just got to get some more exact measurements.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-24-2010, 02:37 PM
found a truck shop that had the exact piece i need: 2" i.d. x 25" length- $32, saved me $100!