PDA

View Full Version : Time for my annual liquidation of equipment

arninglawns
02-21-2010, 12:24 PM
I buy all new equipment every year, so here's your opportunity to buy everything you need to start up or supplement your biz. Everything is less than one year old and still under warranty except for the 32" mower, it s 2.5 years old. It is all well maintained and in good running condition. Exmark Mowers are pickup only near Houston, TX. Echo Handhelds can be shipped.

Here is the link to the ebay auctions:

http://shop.ebay.com/racerntx/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

Turf Dawg
02-21-2010, 12:42 PM
I actually have the 32" on my watch list. I had no ideal you were a member on here.

ACA L&L
02-21-2010, 02:40 PM
Awesome, ill keep me eyes on er.....eeerrrr. Hey where u at in texas........i guess i mean which side of texas?

AllAmericanlawn
02-21-2010, 02:51 PM
How do you make a profit if buy all new equip every year?

Greenery
02-21-2010, 04:46 PM

By not charging $20 a lawn.
Posted via Mobile Device

nepatsfan
02-21-2010, 04:50 PM
Probably why there are only 4 things for sale

arninglawns
02-21-2010, 06:31 PM

I usually get about half the price of new for my used stuff, so I end up paying 50-60% of the price for new equip. I have almost zero down time, and I don't need an inventory of spares. A crew's worth of equipment runs about $2100 for a 21", weedeater, blower and edger divided by 50%, equals $1050 divided by 40 weeks of mowing is $26 per week for all new stuff. Coincidentally, $26 is what I charge for the average yard, and it takes two guys about 20-30 minutes to do one yard, which is a fraction of the time it would take them to load up and take the broken equipment to the shop, not to mention the actual cost of the repair. I know where you're coming from, I spent the first 20 years of my career trying to keep old stuff running. Once I put pencil to paper and realized what I was spending on repairs, it was a no-brainer.

nepatsfan: There's actually 6 items, and my other stuff was bought by my workers and their friends already. That's one of the benefits I give my guys is first access to buy the used stuff at a discount. I posted my stuff for sale on here, so that someone could get some decent equipment to start a business, not to get criticism about how I run mine.

nepatsfan
02-21-2010, 07:27 PM
I guess if you are using all little mowers, you can do that. It was funny that you said "because I dont charge $20 a lawn" but your average is $26. Good luck selling your stuff, as long as your system works for you is all that matters. Do a lot of guys use push mowers professionally in texas. I mean we use them for areas by pools or stuff we cant get to but very rarely do we use 21 inch mowers.

arninglawns
02-21-2010, 07:54 PM
I guess if you are using all little mowers, you can do that. It was funny that you said "because I dont charge $20 a lawn" but your average is $26. Good luck selling your stuff, as long as your system works for you is all that matters. Do a lot of guys use push mowers professionally in texas. I mean we use them for areas by pools or stuff we cant get to but very rarely do we use 21 inch mowers.

I'm not the one that said "...$20 a lawn." Most people use 32's around here, but to me, the 21's do a better job. Most lawns we do are under 5000 square feet of grass. When we use the 32, it results in more blowing and weedeating, negating the time saved mowing. And these aren't "push" mowers, they are self propelled and go 4.1 MPH. They turn around faster, get into tight spots and don't leave huge ruts in my customers' lawns.

TXNSLighting
02-21-2010, 08:00 PM
What are you looking to get outta the 21's?

arninglawns
02-21-2010, 08:06 PM
What are you looking to get outta the 21's?

They usually bring between $400 and $500.

nepatsfan
02-21-2010, 08:22 PM
I understand they aren't "push mowers" but to me a 21 inch mower is a throw away. If I was using all 21's I would replace them every year too. I use all big mowers 48's 52's I have 2 push mowers. (self propelled little mowers if you will) I have a couple 48 walk behinds that are the "walk behinds" and the 21's are the push mowers. My bad on quoting you when it wasnt you. Most lawns around me are 10k square foot plus. I never use little mowers. I agree with your theory though. Like I said if I was using those little mowers I would buy new every year too. I would lose like 30 grand a year if i replaced my mowers every year and only got half back.

arninglawns
02-21-2010, 10:34 PM
Fascinating.

ACA L&L
02-21-2010, 11:35 PM
we use the "push" mowers and walkers exclusively. I think it all depends on your demographic. Back east and areas that have large estates use the larger walk behinds. Other areas only have 1/4 acre or smaller. However it does not mean that the 21" mowers are any less important. We do not throw them away after one year they are just getting broken in, we will use them for at least 5-6 seasons, maybe more. $400 is a good price on a 21" one year old mower. good luck on sale.

WenzelOSLLC
03-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Not saying you're wrong in how you're doing this but I'd keep my equipment for more than a season. I would imagine that if you used them for two or three seasons you wouldn't have any break downs or anything. Just changing oil and blades I would think. To each his own, thats America :usflag:

Darryl G
03-02-2010, 09:36 AM
Sounds to me like he knows what he's doing. I guess the auctions are all expired though. I find it interesting that the guy gets the third degree for putting up some equipment for auction. I wouldn't be surprised if next year he doesn't bother to put a link here for it.