PDA

View Full Version : Parking on lawn

kirk1701
02-21-2010, 02:17 PM
Quick and easy question here.

My lawn goes right up to the street. The house across the street from me is being auctioned off and will have open house this Thursday and auction is two days later on Saturday. I expect a lot of traffic and people coming and going, parking on the curb with no respect.

Grass is still in dormant stage which is why I'm concerned and should be coming out of dormancy here in the next week or two with these temps.

Will the parking hurt the grass?

RigglePLC
02-21-2010, 03:21 PM
My opinion, parking on it will not hurt the grass. However...if the soil is soft, parking may leave ruts from the tires. If so you may need to put up some kind of barriers: cement blocks, rocks, picnic tables, 57 Chevrolets or whatever you have to discourage parking on the grass.

JB1
02-21-2010, 03:23 PM
put in some t posts and caution tape.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-21-2010, 03:40 PM
Old rusty re-bar works great

betmr
02-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Cops like to park on some of our turf areas,eventually leading to soil compaction. The worst is when they do it in the summer. They leave the engine running for the AC. Two days after they leave, Total dead grass, the exact shape of the exhaust system.

DUSTYCEDAR
02-21-2010, 04:43 PM
Gotta hate that

betmr
02-21-2010, 04:46 PM
Gotta hate that

I do, but how do you argue with the Cops? Esspecialy when they know who you are.

betmr
02-21-2010, 04:54 PM
And school busses too. First the grass dies, then the mud gets squished all around. Then once the soil supporting the edge of the asphalt is all compacted or gone the drive starts caving in and the drive gets smaller and smaller, while the mud hole gets bigger and bigger. I can't convince them to keep the rubber on the road.

kirk1701
02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
Thanks Guys, very imperative thread I started here :)

Old rusty re-bar works great
Did that last year, literally. Had someone (think jealous neighbor) constantly running off the road which killed the grass so I hid some nails in the grass :laugh:

Think she got one because the next thing I knew here came the cops harassing me and threatening to run me in on criminal mischief :confused:

Cops like to park on some of our turf areas,eventually leading to soil compaction. The worst is when they do it in the summer. They leave the engine running for the AC. Two days after they leave, Total dead grass, the exact shape of the exhaust system.
Now I know what killed that spot at the road too last year (water meter guy) it looked like round-up so I blamed the neighbor there too :drinkup:

put in some t posts and caution tape.
That's what I was thinking of doing, only using nylon rope since I have it handy and tie it from t posts to post.

Thanks

DoetschOutdoor
02-21-2010, 05:10 PM
Tape/rope or else park your vehicles where you dont want others parking.

JB1
02-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Did that last year, literally. Had someone (think jealous neighbor) constantly running off the road which killed the grass so I hid some nails in the grass

Think she got one because the next thing I knew here came the cops harassing me and threatening to run me in on criminal mischief

officer i don't know how them nails got there, must be them damm neighbor kids.

turfcobob
02-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Quick and easy question here.

My lawn goes right up to the street. The house across the street from me is being auctioned off and will have open house this Thursday and auction is two days later on Saturday. I expect a lot of traffic and people coming and going, parking on the curb with no respect.

Grass is still in dormant stage which is why I'm concerned and should be coming out of dormancy here in the next week or two with these temps.

Will the parking hurt the grass?

Yes it will hurt the grass. Put up a sign for $10 parking, violators will be towed. If you make some money it will take the pain off the work you have to do later like aerate the compacted areas.

Kennedy Landscaping
02-22-2010, 10:28 AM
I carry a roll of orange caution tape in my tool box for when I do rennovations and stuff. Anyways thats what I always use to keep people off the grass.

kirk1701
02-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Thanks again guys.

Have some fence steaks we use in the garden I'm going to put up and drape a nylon rope down the frontage.

Danscapes
02-22-2010, 10:46 AM
Make sure you put the posts very close together, I seen some a-holes tear down the tape and parallel park between the posts.

kirk1701
02-22-2010, 11:02 AM
Make sure you put the posts very close together, I seen some a-holes tear down the tape and parallel park between the posts.

They can't. 3 feet in its sloped very steeply downhill into a drainage ditch so they will drag bottom.

kirk1701
02-26-2010, 03:37 PM
Update:

Well guys I took the chance last night and didn't put up the rope for the open house which was from 5 PM til 7 PM. Just to see what would happen.

I doubt if there were more then two cars at the house at any given time so they went in the driveway; no parking on the street. Overall, I doubt there were 10 cars show up in the 2 hours.

I might have been worried about nothing, the auctioneer will be there this Saturday and I doubt it amounts to more then a garage sale now.

americanlawn
02-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I like turfcobob's idea. :laugh: During the Iowa state fair, thousands of homeowners charge $5 to $15 per car depending how close to the fairgrounds. Got a friend who makes over $4000 every year during the ten day event. But the tax man has been after these folks for not reporting their income.

Our local Fire Station is across the street. When they hold "ice cream socials", "chili feeds", "pancake breakfasts", etc, their parking lot gets full. So people start parking in our front ditch. (and it's a NO PARKING zone). So last year, the County installed an extra 'no parking sign' in front. The County guy also told us to call if anybody tries to park there.

BTW illegally parked cars make nice targets for paintball guns.......them damn neighbor kids :laugh::laugh:

kirk1701
02-26-2010, 06:48 PM
I like turfcobob's idea. :laugh: During the Iowa state fair, thousands of homeowners charge $5 to $15 per car depending how close to the fairgrounds. Got a friend who makes over $4000 every year during the ten day event. But the tax man has been after these folks for not reporting their income.

Our local Fire Station is across the street. When they hold "ice cream socials", "chili feeds", "pancake breakfasts", etc, their parking lot gets full. So people start parking in our front ditch. (and it's a NO PARKING zone). So last year, the County installed an extra 'no parking sign' in front. The County guy also told us to call if anybody tries to park there.

BTW illegally parked cars make nice targets for paintball guns.......them damn neighbor kids :laugh::laugh:

Would be nice to have some of those kids in my neighborhood (no kids to blame) :cry:

Here's the house across the street, just found this:
http://www.byrdauction.com/index.php?option=com_ezrealty&task=detail&id=4&Itemid=54

Gets auctioned March 6th

WenzelOSLLC
02-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Would be nice to have some of those kids in my neighborhood (no kids to blame) :cry:

Here's the house across the street, just found this:
http://www.byrdauction.com/index.php?option=com_ezrealty&task=detail&id=4&Itemid=54

Gets auctioned March 6th

The garages are almost as big as the house. I'd buy it just for those.

kirk1701
02-26-2010, 11:24 PM
The garages are almost as big as the house. I'd buy it just for those.

Pretty much why we bought the house we have which is across the street from it :clapping:

Our garage has a second floor I could actually turn into an appartment if I wanted to and rent it out. Our garage would hold 4 cars but we only use one side for a car the other side is my wood shop

R & R Yard Designs
02-27-2010, 12:00 AM
What part of BG are you in

corey4671
02-27-2010, 12:05 AM
why do these auctioneers feel like they need to wear those ridiculous cowboy hats? Every freakin auctioneer around here wears em

kirk1701
02-27-2010, 12:31 AM
What part of BG are you in

I'm on the east side, out cemetery road just past Drakes creek.

why do these auctioneers feel like they need to wear those ridiculous cowboy hats? Every freakin auctioneer around here wears em

I was wondering that myself :laugh:

kirk1701
03-06-2010, 10:01 AM
We'll, got the fence steaks out and roped off the frontage last night and a NO PARKING PLEASE sign attached to the rope that goes from steak to steak :)

Must say the frontage really looks like crap but hey, its only there till noon today.

Traffic is just starting to come in and hoping the neighbor hasn't called the cops. ;)

kirk1701
03-06-2010, 12:14 PM
UPDATE!!
Very glad now I put up the rope, cars were lined up all the way down the street on the opposite side of the road but couldn't park on my side. Since my frontage is long with no obstacles it would just been easier and more convenient to park on my side and I know I would had ended up with dead spots everywhere up and down my frontage.

Thanks for the ideas guys :drinkup:

By the way, house sold for 90K