PDA

View Full Version : trailer gate latch

overtime mp
02-21-2010, 02:41 PM
I bought a 16ft doolittle trailer with a 5ft gate. For the gate all it has is a bar that swivels and slides into a rod hole then a pin to lock it. Hope that makes since. What I am looking for is a latch type system. I can't find nothing was wondering if there is a site that you know of that has something different. Thanks guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

MikeKle
02-21-2010, 04:10 PM
I built a single latch for my trailer gate, it is on the drivers side only, no latch on the other side at all, except for the spring assist. One latch is all you really need if it is strong enough. Mine is the spring loaded pin type, you just pull on the handle and the pin retaining the gate up slides back, then since it has a spring on it, it snaps back. Very easy, no pins or clips to mess with and to loose either. I built mine very easily and built it heavy duty, the pin is 3/4" dia. since I am only using one for the entire gate, but you can buy these at any trailer supplier, they put these spring loaded pins on alot of trailers now. They run about $15-$20 to buy one.

overtime mp
02-21-2010, 05:08 PM
That's the type I was able to find wasn't sure if that would work being that low on the gate.
Posted via Mobile Device

MikeKle
02-21-2010, 11:21 PM
As long as its welded or bolted good to the trailer frame and it has a good connection with the gate, it should be OK, my gate is 4ft tall, and the hole for the pin is about 12" up from the bottom of the gate. My side rails are around 12" tall too. It holds the gate just fine, but I also have a gate assist spring on the other side helping out too. If you want to be safe, juts add one on each side of the gate, then there is no way it will fall. I still think an electric gate would be cool, especially with my bad back, just hit a switch and the gate goes up or down and latches automatically. Maybe that will be a project for this summer?

KingImprovements
02-22-2010, 12:41 AM
Jungle jims makes one that has a bar that goes across your gate and you operate it from one side. I think it was around $160 bucks. I have never used one because I can't justify that when I can just walk to the other side and pull a pin
Posted via Mobile Device

overtime mp
02-22-2010, 11:41 AM
Yea I was thinking of making a hand winch have gate go up and down but that's another project. Thanks guys ill put 2 of the spring style on.
Posted via Mobile Device