PDA

View Full Version : I Need New Lawn Maintenance Business Help Please!

CalgaryLawnSalon
02-21-2010, 03:36 PM
This summer I have enough money to buy the equiptment I would need to mow as many lawns as possible in the shortest amount of time. I'm contemplating if it's better to go bigger or stay small?

Last summer I had a small amount of clients but could do a $60.00 job with one other person in 20-25 min, with two push mowers and an edger.

This summer I'm looking to have a crew of myself, and two other guys.

I don't know whether to get a large Zturn mower, another large tractor mower, and two push mowers. Or go with one large mower, and three push mowers. Or two smaller cheaper tractors and three push mowers?

As well, should I get a 16 foot trailer? Or 20 ft ? If I get the two big mowers I'd most likely need the 20 I think, but if not the 16 would work just fine?

Should I be trying to get clients with yards 3 acres for $150.00 a time? Or go for clients with acres and two acres for $60.00 - $100.00?

As well large lawns I don't pick up the cuttings right? Maybe just the part around the house?

I heard clients is the hardest thing to find so I'm wondering if my marketing stradtegy will work?

I'm getting 5000 quality large flyers made and sent into a targted area of mailboxes. Then I plan on sending two very good looking girls door to door with panflits, brochures, and business cards talking up a storm about my company (Brand new equiptment, tons of experiance, owner is on EVERY job site, take a limitied number of clients to ensure satisfaction, a prestigeous company, have a super nice website, if you break contract due to poor qulity we owe you a free mow, ect.). Then I'm going to go door to door introducing myself and my company after houses have heard about it from flyers, and my girls. As well this whole time I plan on posting signs around these areas and flyers on mailboxes ect.

I'm going to advertise March, April, and May and my contracts will start June 1st.

I'm thinking I will need roughly 75 - 150 clients to achieve what I would like this summer. Is this possible? I want to make anywhere from $1,000 to $2,000 a day charging $50 - $75 an acre.

All my equiptment will be brand new, my truck is a beutifull white Ford F350, and I will have a big nice white enclosed trailer, all nicely designed with my logo and company name, hopefully giving off a good impression.

To note, I will be advertising and working in a very rich area of Calgary, Alberta where the houses are over a million dollars each so there is lots of money around this area.

Is this a good business plan? And what type of equiptment shuold I learn twords? I will have enough capital really to buy whatever I want after this winter season.

Please, someone help me!

Thanks!

MikeKle
02-21-2010, 04:00 PM
The idea about sending the nice looking girls to pass out your flyers is a great idea, just hope you get alot of men answering the door, and not the wives or girlfriends!!

I think you should get one big ZTR and 2 smaller WBS, like a 52" and a 36" or a 48" This way you will able to handle just about anything that you get, even gated yards. And for the bigger acreage, you can use all the mowers on it at once. A 16ft trailer should be able to hold everything your wanting, but go for a 20ft if you want it. A typical response from flyers is only about 1-2%, but you may get more with the girls.

KPW LawnCare
02-21-2010, 04:02 PM
WOW, do you have a money tree in your back yard? Your looking at spending probally 20K+ for all the things you want. I think you should spend the money to go legit with a liecnse insur and all the other stuff first.

f50lvr2
02-21-2010, 04:09 PM
The idea about sending the nice looking girls to pass out your flyers is a great idea, just hope you get alot of men answering the door, and not the wives or girlfriends!!

I think you should get one big ZTR and 2 smaller WBS, like a 52" and a 36" or a 48" This way you will able to handle just about anything that you get, even gated yards. And for the bigger acreage, you can use all the mowers on it at once. A 16ft trailer should be able to hold everything your wanting, but go for a 20ft if you want it. A typical response from flyers is only about 1-2%, but you may get more with the girls.

I think this is a good idea going with the big ztr and WB's. Just make sure they're hydro WB's, it makes a big difference.

It seems like June is really late to start mowing, but that might be the norm in your area. I also like the idea of having the good looking girls going out but probably 90% of my accounts I deal with the woman of the house. I would think especially on high end homes typically the man is out working and the wife would stay home. But, a lot of people might feel more comfortable dealing with women in a door to door situation, less intimidating maybe.

Sounds like you have a pretty good idea already. Probably go with the 20ft trailer and if it's too much you can always trade it in on a 16ft and not lose too much money.

FourTrees
02-21-2010, 04:34 PM
WOW, do you have a money tree in your back yard? Your looking at spending probally 20K+ for all the things you want. I think you should spend the money to go legit with a liecnse insur and all the other stuff first.

Am I missing something, another thread maybe?

Or is this just the standard shut up and sit down response here in lawnsite?

Were in his post did you get that his business was not legal? Maybe another thread or something. Don't get all the attacking of others. Name calling everywhere.

Sure I argue, sure I state my opinion, sure I have called others out for contradicting themselves......... but still (UNLESS I MISSED SOMETHING) why are you accusing him of not doing things legit.

Somebody still passing out the old Hatorade.

KPW LawnCare
02-21-2010, 04:37 PM
I am not saying he is not legit, I was just saying if he is not maybe he should become legit and then spend all the money.

ProcsLC
02-21-2010, 05:23 PM
Isn't Bret Hard from your area? Will you be mowing around the dungeon? I would change your name to the Excellence of Lawn Care Exeuction...

In all seriousness, the bigger trailer will always be helpful, your truck can tow it, so do it.

I like the "hot chick flyer" idea... Advertising 101 says a good looking female can sell a product or service to men AND women... So it really couldn't hurt...

Your numbers seem pretty high for a first year biz... 150 accounts is of course attainable, but is going to take A LOT of advertising or in your case... Hooters girls.

The lawns to shoot for... Anything that is in an area you are already in! We have a mix on big and little lawns side by side, its common to see a 1/4 acre lot next to a 3 acre lot, so the real trick is not so much the lawn size, but clustering your customers together to lower your windshield time... By the way, its good to leave the clippings in the lawn, we hardly ever bag unless someone let it go for weeks before we got to it...

not knowing what dealers are in your area, its tough to give you a good break down on equipment, and honestly... Its 90% personal preference, we use Snapper mowers and love them, so if I told you to go buy all Snappers and you did, you might not like them as much as I do... we don't know what your lawn sizes are or if they are fenced in back yards or whatever, that also dictates what equipment you should be buying. SO, with that said, get accounts first and THEN go buy new equipment to suit those accounts.

Good luck to you, hope this helps and any chance i could get Bret's autograph?!!?

CalgaryLawnSalon
02-21-2010, 06:06 PM
Everyone thanks a lot for the words of wisdom they are giving me a much better idea of how to go about my business this summer.

Hey and can you people tell me what you think of the name: Calgary Lawn Salon?

@ ProcsLC:

Do you mean Brett Hart? The wrestler? He died bro... Lived next door to my girlfriend, knew his son a bit.

ProcsLC
02-21-2010, 08:51 PM
Brett Hart, ya he isn't dead, I just saw him on Monday Night RAW... Re-living an old fued with Vince...

Best of luck to you this year, hope it goes well for ya.