PDA

View Full Version : A dealer told me Chinese engines are getting pretty good

THC
02-21-2010, 06:09 PM
We were talking about replacing a Tecumseh piece of crap I have, I don't have to do it now but he was showing me a china one. I forget the name but it's very boxy, completely different set up for a snow blower.

You guys think that's just a sales pitch?

grassman177
02-21-2010, 06:21 PM
F that. dont go there, get a kohler or kawasaki or honda b4 the china crap

THC
02-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Yeah, kohler makes one for that snowblower. I think the price difference was $700 for kohler compared to $450 for the wang chung. Apparently all the MTD's have chinese motors now but my snow blower is a toro with tecumshe engine.

grassman177
02-21-2010, 06:28 PM
mtd is completely sold out, what a waste and shame

KarambaStar
02-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Kohler's new engines (including the snowblower engine) is made in China. Briggs is now making some of their new models (low HP) in China too. Are they junk? I wouldn't say that, because they haven't been out long enough to prove themselves. However, I would recommend going with a well known brand any day. You never know if parts are going to be available, etc.

mowingmachine
02-21-2010, 09:42 PM
We were talking about replacing a Tecumseh piece of crap I have, I don't have to do it now but he was showing me a china one. I forget the name but it's very boxy, completely different set up for a snow blower.

Other than some carb issues, I would have to say that Tecumseh made a great snowblower engine. They start easy even at very cold temps. All of the expensive snowblowers (except Honda) used Tecumseh engines.

THC
02-22-2010, 02:16 AM
Well the carb is pretty important and You can't buy one anymore. You can only get the rebuild kits. That was the major problem I had but I managed to get a carb off an older engine.

newz7151
02-22-2010, 03:34 AM
Well the carb is pretty important and You can't buy one anymore. You can only get the rebuild kits. That was the major problem I had but I managed to get a carb off an older engine.

Aftermarket replacement for some Tecumseh carbs are available through a new source.

kaferhaus
02-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Most of the parts in the Honda engines 8HP and smaller are made in china and have been for several years.

You can buy a 6HP Honda "clone" from HF for under $200, we have one on a air compressor that gets the crap run out of it and It's held up very well. Every part on it will interchange with the Honda.

AintNoFun
02-22-2010, 10:03 AM
i bought a trash pump from pep boys it has a honda like chinese motor on it.. i bought the thing probably 4 years and it runs like a champ still.. i figured itd be a throw away but i needed one right then and there as my other pump with a honda on it took a crap...

mowerknower
02-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Most of the parts in the Honda engines 8HP and smaller are made in china and have been for several years.

You can buy a 6HP Honda "clone" from HF for under $200, we have one on a air compressor that gets the crap run out of it and It's held up very well. Every part on it will interchange with the Honda.

Yes most of the parts will switch over. Just do not get caught by the epa. Installing parts from other engines can get you fines up to $3500 per day under new epa standards.

kaferhaus
02-22-2010, 03:19 PM
Yes most of the parts will switch over. Just do not get caught by the epa. Installing parts from other engines can get you fines up to $3500 per day under new epa standards.

Only IF it increases the emissions.

And I'm sure the EPA has hundreds of spys located throughout our garages trying to see if you've replaced a part that's indistinguishable from the original..

Tharrell
02-22-2010, 04:49 PM
The green police are out! HA!
Everytime I hear or read about them I wanna smack somebody.
Anyway, the Chinese will get better no doubt.
From what I hear, quality depends on metals available at the time of manufacture.

THC
02-22-2010, 05:54 PM

Howdy kaferhaus, glad to see you back. I was actually just reading "best of kaferhaus" last night. It's a document I made by copy/pasting some of your better posts into word 2007... you never know when Lawnsite will go kaput. I've done this with several members over the years.

btw, what is KF? I googled kf engines and never got a answer.

chewy78
04-22-2010, 09:01 AM

I had recently got one of those 6.5 hp greyhounds to mount on my older Campbell Hausfeld 8 gallon compressors to break in the engine. Wouldn't you think that an air compressor would be alright for just breaking in the cheap engine? I was going to replace the honda gx 160 from it to use it for another project.

topsites
04-22-2010, 10:05 AM
And I'm sure the EPA has hundreds of spys located throughout our garages trying to see if you've replaced a part that's indistinguishable from the original..

They do!
You didn't know that?
They didn't tell you?

Lordtimothy
04-22-2010, 11:02 AM
The real question is not if Chinese engines are better rather is the quality of Kaw/Kohler/Briggs falling and meeting the quality of Chinese engines?? Very unimpressed with some of the new Kohler and Briggs engines.

Timo

pugs
04-22-2010, 11:15 AM
Toro is using china engines on their smaller 4cycle snowblowers and a walkbehind mower now too.

Lonny90
04-22-2010, 03:10 PM
I guess my opinion would be this: If you buy an off-brand chinese engine, it's probably junk. If you find a name brand engine built and engineered by name brand company, and manufactered in china, it's probably going to be great engine. Case in point, kohler command ch270. We sold quite a few of these manufactered in china kohlers, and everybody's happy with them, had no repairs on them so far, start very easy, seem to live up to the kohler name very well. Now take an engine that says Kum Ho or etc, I'd stay away...

Alan0354
04-22-2010, 04:00 PM
I guess my opinion would be this: If you buy an off-brand chinese engine, it's probably junk. If you find a name brand engine built and engineered by name brand company, and manufactered in china, it's probably going to be great engine. Case in point, kohler command ch270. We sold quite a few of these manufactered in china kohlers, and everybody's happy with them, had no repairs on them so far, start very easy, seem to live up to the kohler name very well. Now take an engine that says Kum Ho or etc, I'd stay away...

Is the Kohler XT-7 that made it China just as good? THis is the one that used in some want to be commercial 21" wb.

Lonny90
04-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I can't tell you for sure, but Command and Aegis are kohler's best engines so if it wasn't one of these, it probably isn't as good.:)