PDA

View Full Version : No Soliciting...

stephen424
02-21-2010, 06:20 PM
can you put flyers in the slot underneath the mailbox in neighborhoods that have a "no soliciting" sign at the entrance?

if its against the law, do you do it anyway (for those that pass out flyers)

Rivervalleylawns
02-21-2010, 06:43 PM
can you put flyers in the slot underneath the mailbox in neighborhoods that have a "no soliciting" sign at the entrance?

DO NOT DO IT...

First of all its illegal to put anything on or in a mailbox. Unless its one of the community mail boxes you can tape a flyer on the side. And second I would not mess with a community that has no soliciting. Think about it your putting all your info on there door when it says dont. Who do you think they are going to call????

mowerbrad
02-21-2010, 07:26 PM
DO NOT DO IT...

First of all its illegal to put anything on or in a mailbox. Unless its one of the community mail boxes you can tape a flyer on the side. And second I would not mess with a community that has no soliciting. Think about it your putting all your info on there door when it says dont. Who do you think they are going to call????

I actually believe he is referring to the newspaper part on some mailboxes. Usually it is on the plastic mailboxes and is located underneath the mailbox. This part of the mailbox (technically not the mailbox) is actually okay to put flyers in. You just can't put anything inside the actual mailbox or anypart that the mailman might touch. But the newspaper part is OKAY.

Now, to the OP, to me the "no soliciting" signs usually mean no going door-to-door and doing the sales pitches to the residents. However that could also mean that they don't want people passing out flyers in their neighborhood either. I personally wouldn't want to pass out flyers in there, just because it could make my company look bad because I obviously didn't read the sign that said "no soliciting".

JB1
02-21-2010, 07:32 PM
i don't really know but I think no soliciting means NO SOLICITING.

doubleedge
02-21-2010, 07:38 PM
Your fliers will probably just be thrown away, so it would be a waste of time and money to try.

motorscot
02-21-2010, 10:41 PM
As far as I'm concerned, NO Soliciting means: Don't come to my door, no door to door salesman

It doesn't mean don't put stuff on the mailbox

MikeKle
02-21-2010, 10:51 PM
No soliciting means they are NOT interested in whatever you are trying to sell, whether it be lawn care or direct tv. No matter whether you think it means door to door selling or putting a flyer on their newspaper or mailbox slot, no advertising of any kind. If you do put it there, you may get a nasty call and they will definitely not be interested in lawn care.

green grass lawn care
02-22-2010, 01:39 AM

ok i think that will help clear it up. i used to sell door to door for a pest control company and the residents in those neighborhoods didn't even know or care for the most part, maybe one in the whole neighbor hood. just continue on and they are usually pretty lucrative. i would pass them out there. vince:cool2:

edit: also the no soliciting signs on the doors are suckers that can't say no so they have a sign. if they open the door a sure sale. just my experience... take it for what it is worth.

Damian
02-22-2010, 10:05 AM
I asked a customer who has a No Soliciting sign on his door how he really defined it. To him, it meant that he didn't want people knocking on his door trying to sell him something. He had no problems with flyers/coupons being left. Now...

As a policy, the owners here don't want to hear one screaming phonecall about how we left a hanger even though the sign was posted so there is no absolute meaning. Different people intepret the sign diferently.

Finally, we no longer have any pets here, but I remember when we did, the dog would go ape at someone approaching the door, so since the person would often not close the gate behind them to leave the hanger/coupon there was concern the first few years the dog would run out, so even though we had no sign, we thought about posting one. And even if you are just hanging the flyers, if they have a dog and a infant/toddler, the barking dog can wake them up - regardless of whether there is a sign or not - so the main question you have to ask yourself is this:

How thick is your skin?

I realize this went way off the mark as to your question, but... a similar one is bound to come up any day anyways...

kaferhaus
02-22-2010, 10:20 AM
We did door hangers once in a few of those neighborhoods..... never again. I've never gotten so many angry phone calls in my life. The poster about the dogs is also right on the money. Some people work nights, have babies at home etc.

And further...... in my experience door hangers and flyers are very poor performers. Word of mouth is our best performer and the small yellow pages ad is a close second.

In the 4yrs we've had a website it's generated a whopping 3 accounts yet the page comes up on the first page of a google search for local lawn service or landscaping...

Third is calls we get from people seeing the signs on the trucks and trailers.

We got about 3-5 calls per thousand door hangers or flyers and converted about 60% of those to annual accounts. NOT worth the expense for us.

f50lvr2
02-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Almost all the neighborhoods around here with yards you'd actually want to work on are inside those communities with "no soliciting" signs at the entrance. On a personal rant I'm sick of all these new housing developments with nonsensical names like "Pine Breezes", "Whispering Meadows", and all that other poncy crap.

I haven't had to do flyers for a couple of years (thank goodness) but for me they were an excellent performer and I never once got an angry phone call. I think most people with those signs just don't want door to door sales people taking up their time.

I agree with kaferhaus that word of mouth is the best, but it can take time. If you're just starting or want to expand into a certain area quickly flyers are a good (and cheap) way to go. And the website has been the worst advertising, only a couple of accounts in the last 2 years, it's more of a formality than anything