PDA

View Full Version : straight shaft trimming

rinker26
02-21-2010, 08:07 PM
is it me or is it harder to trim with a straight shaft as opposed to a curved shaft.couldnt get used to the straight shaft at first but now i kinda like them.the fact that they spin in the opposite direction is what i couldnt get used to.

Rivervalleylawns
02-21-2010, 08:10 PM
My guys always laugh at lawn guys using curved shaft. I am 6'3 so thats maybe why I was never interested in them. But curved shaft im pretty sure is homeowner use. Thats why they are always half the price.

mowerbrad
02-21-2010, 08:19 PM
When I started I used a stihl fs46 (curved shaft) and it was nice when I was younger since I wasn't as tall. I actually still have the trimmer sitting in my shed, and I can't imagine using that thing all day any more. But now, I wouldn't use anything except a straight shaft trimmer. Plus the curved shaft models are usually geared toward home owners and not professionals.

Bob_n_weave
02-21-2010, 08:25 PM
I use a straight shaft ! My wifes likes them better also :laugh:

JNyz
02-21-2010, 08:37 PM
I like that answer.

Kennedy Landscaping
02-21-2010, 08:56 PM
Agreed, I laugh at lawn guys using curved shaft trimmers. I love mine.

SouthSide Cutter
02-21-2010, 09:11 PM
Dont laugh to much guys. They have their place. They work better around gravestones than a straight and if your tall you dont bend over as much.

Merkava_4
02-21-2010, 09:20 PM
This would be a good time for me to put my plug in
for the Tanaka TBC-260PFL extra long shaft trimmer.
Maybe they'll send me a free one. :D

rcslawncare
02-21-2010, 09:31 PM
Yea, straight is much easier to use. Especially for an occasional edging.

Rivervalleylawns
02-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Dont laugh to much guys. They have their place. They work better around gravestones than a straight and if your tall you dont bend over as much.

Im not doubting you I would just like to know how they are better for gravestones???

I am very very doubtful that you dont bend over as much being tall. Im 6'3 and no way in hell I can use one.

Merkava_4
02-21-2010, 09:42 PM
Im 6'3 and no way in hell I can use one.

The Tanaka TBC-260PFL is 14 inches longer than a standard straight shaft trimmer. :D

SouthSide Cutter
02-21-2010, 09:54 PM
Im not doubting you I would just like to know how they are better for gravestones???

I am very very doubtful that you dont bend over as much being tall. Im 6'3 and no way in hell I can use one.

One company here that takes care of all the Wal-Marts uses nothing but curved shafts. They have a BEND in the shaft which doesnt hit the corner of the gravestone. Try it sometime. I laughed to until I used one. And I still dont have any so I am not very smart either.

Rivervalleylawns
02-21-2010, 10:30 PM
One company here that takes care of all the Wal-Marts uses nothing but curved shafts. They have a BEND in the shaft which doesnt hit the corner of the gravestone. Try it sometime. I laughed to until I used one. And I still dont have any so I am not very smart either.

lol I will just agree with you and I mean that seriously. I still refuse to buy one.

SouthSide Cutter
02-21-2010, 11:35 PM
Ive got 280Ts, 261Ts, FR100 Stihls and all of them have the lower handle as far up the shaft as i can get it. I dont know the brand that company uses but the one I used was a cheap Lowes job a friend told me to use.
The way I trim stones is from both sides. First I head down the back side doing the side first then the back then the last side not stopping, when I get to the end I turn around and come back down the front only doing the front. fastest way Ive found and the curved shaft just let me get the second side from the back easier.
I might buy one if I can find a good one.

Hawg City Lawns
02-22-2010, 03:06 AM
Yea, straight is much easier to use. Especially for an occasional edging.

i use a trimmer for edging all the time i find it harder using a stick edger it also saves time not going to trailer and getting an edger then using it then taking it back and then getting your trimmer