PDA

View Full Version : Emissions junk on diesel engines

westcoh
02-21-2010, 07:12 PM
A while back I pulled the turbo inlet off my duramax to replace it with an aftermarket one, and was somewhat shocked at the amount of sludge built up in it. This was at about 100k miles on the truck, and is courtesy of the egr/pcv, and is feeding right into the turbo. . .I think my truck might be losing this emisions junk in the near future.

Heavyduty1
02-21-2010, 09:44 PM
New trucks are now 50k, get 10 mpg, $3 gal for fuel, and now this emissions junk. What's next? :dizzy:

bobcat_ron
02-21-2010, 10:19 PM
My EGR system is getting the axe in late Spring, it's just a big joke this "environmental protection" BS we have to have.

ksss
02-22-2010, 12:14 AM
New trucks are now 50k, get 10 mpg, $3 gal for fuel, and now this emissions junk. What's next? :dizzy:

The emissions junk IS the reason they cost 50K and why they get 10 mpg. It is also part of the reason diesel costs what it does. Its as refined now as gasoline.

What till you see the prices on the newest diesels set to release this year. We will all crap our pants. I am trying to make mine last as long as possible.

stuvecorp
02-22-2010, 12:37 AM
It's too bad that the eco-people don't put any weight on reliability or fuel mileage instead of everything on emissions. I would like to see a diesel(any brand) with some common sense mods go head to head with a stock diesel and then compare power, emissions, price, longevity and fuel mileage.

Gravel Rat
02-22-2010, 03:12 AM
Sad to say is is just going to get worse. The engines get poor fuel economy they cost more to build and more to operate but they " polute less " which is a crock of chit the engines are burning more fuel. More polution building the extra parts for these engines.

Class 8 trucks are in the same boat not as bad as the light duty trucks but still have emmissions crap.

Duffster
02-22-2010, 06:20 AM
The emissions junk IS the reason they cost 50K and why they get 10 mpg. It is also part of the reason diesel costs what it does. Its as refined now as gasoline.

What till you see the prices on the newest diesels set to release this year. We will all crap our pants. I am trying to make mine last as long as possible.

The Diesel option on the '11 Ford is supposed to be the same price as the diesel option on the '10 Fords, $6500.

ProTouch Groundscapes
02-22-2010, 09:28 AM
^this has been confirmed.

Skidsteerman
02-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Sad to say is is just going to get worse. The engines get poor fuel economy they cost more to build and more to operate but they " polute less " which is a crock of chit the engines are burning more fuel. More polution building the extra parts for these engines.

Class 8 trucks are in the same boat not as bad as the light duty trucks but still have emmissions crap.

Tier 4 + is going to be very complicated and expensive. They showed us a after burner catalyst they have to install on some of the larger HP diesel engines. Not only is it huge and a very expensive part that will need to be replaced once it burns it self out $$$

Thank you Kalifornia for setting the ******ed standards.:rolleyes:

In the next few years, on certain job sites, if your equipment does not meet the current EPA standards at that time, your equipment will not be allowed on the job site.

Poor fuel mileage or economy is due to burning the exhaust hotter to burn off the exhaust particulates. This takes more fuel to achieve this, and no, Al Gore is not telling anyone this either.

Welcome to the future.

In the new D series sslders and CTL's are all EFI fuel systems. No backyard mechanic will be able to work on these anymore other then daily servicing.

ioilyouin
02-22-2010, 10:40 AM
In the new D series sslders and CTL's are all EFI fuel systems. No backyard mechanic will be able to work on these anymore other then daily servicing.

Another one of your selling points???

Skidsteerman
02-22-2010, 10:57 AM

Not at all... just pointing out how complicated the diesel engine technology is getting to be able to meet the new tier levels.

Duffster
02-22-2010, 11:01 AM

I doubt this is/will be unique to Deere.

ksss
02-22-2010, 01:28 PM
The Diesel option on the '11 Ford is supposed to be the same price as the diesel option on the '10 Fords, $6500.

They must be eating the extra costs then. It certainly costs more to met the 2011 standards than it has the tier 3. The DPF fluid tanks and the associated plumbing, it goes on and on. Not to mention that they will have to have the fluid replacement available at fueling points. The Duramax equipped trucks are going up.

stuvecorp
02-22-2010, 02:19 PM
I was complaining about this to my brother and he had no idea about all the emissions stuff. Somehow we need to get the general public aware of how much this is screwing up trucks and equipment.

Mr. Rain
02-22-2010, 02:44 PM
Burn more fuel to clean up the tailpipe. Makes no sense to me either. My 05 D-max has better power and gets better mileage than my 08 with all the emissions crap on it. Not to mention how fussy the 08 is on fuel in cold weather compared to the older one. Needless to say, I'll be keeping the 05 until it won't turn it's wheels anymore. Around here a guy could probably get away with putting a DPF "off road only" delete kit on without any problems from the law, but better plan on keeping it a while or keep all the stuff to put it back to stock.

GravelyNut
02-22-2010, 03:02 PM
Burn more fuel to clean up the tailpipe. Makes no sense to me either. My 05 D-max has better power and gets better mileage than my 08 with all the emissions crap on it. Not to mention how fussy the 08 is on fuel in cold weather compared to the older one. Needless to say, I'll be keeping the 05 until it won't turn it's wheels anymore. Around here a guy could probably get away with putting a DPF "off road only" delete kit on without any problems from the law, but better plan on keeping it a while or keep all the stuff to put it back to stock.

Funny how the math doesn't add up, does it? Get 25% cleaner emissions on 50% more fuel. So how many more barrels of oil do we burn per day to get a cleaner exhaust while losing in the long run? People that have older properly tuned vehicles are actually saving the US oil.

Mr. Rain
02-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Funny how the math doesn't add up, does it? Get 25% cleaner emissions on 50% more fuel. So how many more barrels of oil do we burn per day to get a cleaner exhaust while losing in the long run? People that have older properly tuned vehicles are actually saving the US oil.

Yeah, it's insanity. Why our country is choking the potential of diesel is beyond me. Europe has been promoting the benefits of diesel for decades, even before the modern era of high HP engines with great economy. Why can you buy a little car over there that will get 70 mpg but we can't have them because of emissions? Even with minor tweaking, we should be able to have acceptably clean tailpipes and double to triple the economy of the average gas vehicle. The economic impact of that scenario would be astounding. Far less $$$ going to the middle east and getting spent here at home instead. I realize that everyone doesn't want a diesel, but had it been promoted over the last 30 years and we had not had gas cheap as water available in the past, diesel WOULD have been a much bigger part of the US automotive industry.

ksss
02-22-2010, 06:53 PM
The reason is easy, three letters EPA. Don't get me wrong, EPA had a purpose. But here is what happened, after all the "low hanging fruit" had been picked (meaning that vehicle and industry emissions were addressed to a level that made environmental and economic sense), it now turned its sights on ever increasing the requirements. We can argue the science which they claim to be the reasoning, but don't look past the fact that the EPA is a large agency, I believe it conducts itself in a way to ensure that they maintain their viability, meaning in order to stay revelent (Keep jobs, funding and power) they will continue to increase the these emission requirements to the point that it will (and has) crippled the very County it was created to protect. Common Sense is long gone. The email scandal over the global warming debate has had an unbelievable impact on bringing some suspicion to the entire theory. Had it not been for that, things would be much different right now. CAP and TRADE for example. Kalifornia which likes to take the national EPA guidelines and make them twice as strict for its state and thus become kind of a test bed for further National EPA guidelines has about run itself bankrupt, yet as Kaliforinia goes, so does the nation.

Sorry I digress from the topic at hand.