PDA

View Full Version : Dealers that wont budge on price!

superrman77
02-21-2010, 11:33 PM
Guys I have a dealer that is close to me. They just wont budge on prices at all. It seems like they really have no competition. They do give good service when working on equipment. I realize the dealer has to make money. I am getting ready to purchase a new ztr this spring. How many of you travel out of town to buy your new units? I guess I just want to feel like I am getting a good deal. I am located in Ohio.
Thanks

AA+ landscaping
02-21-2010, 11:57 PM
Guys I have a dealer that is close to me. They just wont budge on prices at all. It seems like they really have no competition. They do give good service when working on equipment. I realize the dealer has to make money. I am getting ready to purchase a new ztr this spring. How many of you travel out of town to buy your new units? I guess I just want to feel like I am getting a good deal. I am located in Ohio.
Thanks

sometimes when you buy from other dealer the dealer you get service from is not as fast as you wish or they don't help you like you would want.

CLARK LAWN
02-22-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks

how much do you move on your prices? i am sure the dealer know were he needs to be on price in order to cover overhead and still make a profit. the profit margin is not as high as you might think it is.

superrman77
02-22-2010, 12:11 AM
how much do you move on your prices? i am sure the dealer know were he needs to be on price in order to cover overhead and still make a profit. the profit margin is not as high as you might think it is.

I understand they are not making what you think they are. But how would you like to go buy a new car at the dealership and them not come down on price. I guess some like to pay full asking price and some like to get a better price. I guess that is the business man in me!

SouthSide Cutter
02-22-2010, 12:17 AM
In eleven years only had to take one mower back to the dealer for war work. Do most of the work myself and got someone who can do what I cant.
I just get on the computer and see what I can buy one for somewhere else and if they can come close Ill give them my business if they cant I can drive 100 miles and save some good money

WREBELMACHINE
02-22-2010, 01:26 AM
A bunch of guys around here tried that and learned a hard lesson now they buy local.

Pennington Lawncare
02-22-2010, 02:05 AM
What kind of mowers are you interested in? There's a dealer in Lanesville, Indiana that has great deals on a few different brands and they are just over 150 miles away from you. I paid $7,000 out the door for my Bob-Cat and my local dealers were around $1,500 higher. They sell on Ebay too is how I found them http://stores.ebay.com/Southern-Indiana-Equipment__W0QQ_dmdZ2QQ_sidZ206542426QQ_sopZ1 It's better to buy direct instead of through Ebay.

Schuley
02-22-2010, 09:12 AM
I bought a great dane super surfer last year, the local dealer wanted $7995 for one and he gives free delivery and free first oil change, I drove 3 hours to buy one for $4995. He refuses to do any warranty work on it, and is a real jerk about it, he said he will charge full shop rate for every minute he works on it. Guess who isn't going to be getting any of my business anymore? If they want my business, they should atleast try! $3000 was WAY too much.... im not partial to great dane, so I just switched to a different dealer. Who's prices are only about $500 over others... lol

Lawn Pawn
02-22-2010, 09:57 AM
I bought a great dane super surfer last year, the local dealer wanted $7995 for one and he gives free delivery and free first oil change, I drove 3 hours to buy one for $4995. He refuses to do any warranty work on it, and is a real jerk about it, he said he will charge full shop rate for every minute he works on it. Guess who isn't going to be getting any of my business anymore? If they want my business, they should atleast try! $3000 was WAY too much.... im not partial to great dane, so I just switched to a different dealer. Who's prices are only about $500 over others... lol

From what I have been told......

Legally an authorized dealer MUST service any and all under warranty items. Not saying he will to do it in a specific time frame though.

I think if you called the factory about this they would nail his sack to a stump. Your phone call may very well be one of many concerning this? I would bet dealers do get dropped when enough people express their legitimate complaints to the powers that be.

lawnscraper
02-22-2010, 09:59 AM
i have the same problem. but recently talked to the owner and got him to match the other prices i was getting. tell them you want to buy from them but cant afford to donate money to them either.

lawnscraper
02-22-2010, 10:01 AM
i know the authorized exmark dealers get $75 and hour to work on warranted machines in my neck of the woods. so they should have no problems working on a machine you bought somewhere else.

whosedog
02-22-2010, 10:02 AM
In addition to switching dealers you should report to Great Dane the dealer who refuses to do warranty work on a brand that he sells.He would be reimbursed by the manufacturer for work that he did;so whats his beef?You might get him in some kind of trouble by reporting him.I was told by a dealer that sales mark up is only allowed to be 17%,it used to be 25% on some products.Most of their income comes from repairs not sales;so he doesn't care where you bought it(he'll even fix craftsman),but if he sold it to you he will repair yours before one that was bought elsewhere.Most repairs happen after the warranty is expired anyway,by that time he'll probably forget you didn't buy from him,rip the other dealers sticker off before you bring it in.

MOHUSTLER
02-22-2010, 10:15 AM
As a dealer if a guy found a mower for 3,000 less then what I had it for, first off id check as to why MY prices were so high. We dont make $3,000 proffit on any new machine. So either the other dealer was giving it away below cost, or your dealers markup was outrageous.

But I would be as profesonal as possible and say that I just cant match that deal and if he wants to buy it he is more then welcome to get his service work done here. All in all its still one more of your brand out in the field that is doing advertising for the dealership.

Roger
02-22-2010, 10:20 AM
how much do you move on your prices? ...

Ditto. We could fill a large container with all the posts on LS about pricing, and complaints about those charging less. What is the most common request: Never change your prices.

rwaters
02-22-2010, 10:42 AM
I assure you that it is not illegal to refuse to do warranty on a machine you did not sell. And as for Great Dane I only know of one dealer that can do that can drop the price that much over a dealer and that is most of why a lot of dealers had to drop great dane in the area around it. I will do warranty work on just about anything I can as long as the company will pay a decent labor rate) But I do put the customers that buy here first, and I do not carry lines that allow distributors to have a chain of stores like great dane did. I have never ran across a line that I made $3000 on so something was up with that sale and I can see why a dealer might not be able to price match, we can not sell equipment lower then we buy it for and stay open.

You want to make a living dont expect they guy that takes care of your equipment not to. If you want great service buy your equipment and a good service centre. I think as time goes on your see more dealers having to cut out warranty on units they did not sell. Heck in my area alone 3 dealerships have closed lastly, and I expect 2 more soon due to retiring owners. That will put me the only only dealership in the county, and will really hard to keep enough mechanics to do the work.... we will put our customers first, we owe that to them.

rwaters
02-22-2010, 10:55 AM
i know the authorized exmark dealers get $75 and hour to work on warranted machines in my neck of the woods. so they should have no problems working on a machine you bought somewhere else.

You only get $75 if you charge every customer 75 an hour, also most company's use a flat rate schedule that only great techs can come close to. The main difference in a equipment dealer and a LCO is his insurance is higher, and his investment is higher. I am sure your equipment dealer in most cases is not out to rip you off. In fact I have a feeling he is more pre sympathetic then you realise to your problems.

stumpslawncare
02-22-2010, 11:27 AM
I always shop around for the lowest price, of course I do all of my own maintenance and repairs.

DirtRider
02-22-2010, 11:28 AM
I just drove 2 hours each way a couple weeks ago to save nearly $2000 on my Toro WB. Local dealer wouldn't move on the price and is the only dealer close by. So I hit the road. I have a back up mower and if my local dealer wants to keep my mower a couple days extra when working on it, whatever. I'll save the 2 large, thank you very much.

mowerknower
02-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Go ahead and buy the mower where ever you want but do not complain if the other dealer does not take care of you. If it wasnt bought at his shop then he does not owe you anything. He is not required to perform warranty or any other service on a product that he didnt sell. What if you bought from Home Depot? Are they required to perform repairs? Absolutly not, so the dealer does not need to either. That being said, most dealers will take care of you. But do not expect them to drop everything for you and put your needs in front of customers that bought from him. I had a customter that bought a mower 300 miles away to save $500 and the he whined when I took 3 days to get his warranty repair done. Needless to say, he can now take it 500 miles to get warranty work done.

mowerknower
02-22-2010, 11:38 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=305834
Sound Familiar

hackitdown
02-22-2010, 11:39 AM
I always give my local dealer first crack at my business. He never gives me the lowest price, except on Stihl (because the prices are almost fixed). On my last purchase, I directly explained that he was off by $600 or whatever, so I was forced to buy elsewhere. This has now happened 3 times. He simply is not competitive on price. His service is so-so also.

Whatever. It is his choice. I'm not always lowest either.

Schuley
02-22-2010, 12:18 PM
im not usually one to shop wherever its lower just to be "one of those customers"....but if my local dealer is being a dink with pricing...well it leaves me little options. His price was over MSRP by far and it was because of the "special treatment" he gives you, which is free pick-up and delivery, wash it before the work on it, and first oil change free.... well I explained to him that I have a trailer, and drive by the place all the time, so delivery was not needed, I wash them myself to keep them clean, so I dont need a wash, and $3000 over the next dealer was unacceptable. Wouldn't budge on the price so what am I supposed to do? Spend 3k more?! I flat out told him i'd even pay a few hundered more than the other guy but he still wouldn't even budge $1. So F-HIM!! Working on them isn't rocket science, If I can't figure it out, I take it to a retired mower Tech down the road who works on my stuff for $30.

There's plenty of other dealers in the area that would love my business, and i've noticed a little extra catering lately, must be slow business or something but they are being very nice!

rwaters
02-22-2010, 01:02 PM
We as a dealer I agree if he is to high and does not provide the service you want then dont go to him. also if you do your own repairs and dont need his service also great for you. Just dont complain when he will not give you a loaner when you are down. Look at it this way... you have a customer that goes to a cheaper lawn service to get their lawn done becouse you are too high, he has a party or something and wants you to come in a do the job that week as you do a better job. Would you drop everything and go do it? or would you take care of the guy that pays your bills all year long?

Dealers are not out to get you, we just have to make a living as well, and it is a lot cheaper to sell units then take care of them, you have to have both to stay in the service business. But you guys think lawnmower dealers make as much as car dealers, and that is far from true, I set a fair price that in most cases is far below MSRP(I don't do free pickup, that is not fair to the ones with trailers and I have to pay a guy to get it so the person getting the service should pay for it, not the guy not getting it) but I do think my service is part of the package so I put my units first in line when repairs are needed.

2,000 and 3,000 is a large drop the dealers you must be going to have to be well above list, no way can I drop any of my units $2000 I would be way in the red. at most I could see is maybe a few hundred. As I said something must be up with a unit to drop that much.

MOHUSTLER
02-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Ditto^^^ Im new as a dealer and most lco's dont belive me that I pay my shop hands more then I pay myself.

DirtRider
02-22-2010, 04:36 PM
I bought a fully loaded 2009 Toro 48 inch WB, 19hp Kawi, floating deck, hydro, with a mulch kit for a smidge under $5600. My local dealer wanted $7300. I hit the road. So dealers; which one was more in line?

albhb3
02-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Shoot guys Ive bought various toys along the way {snowmobiles} tricked out and they were right around 12-13 grand and the dealer I bought from didnt want or care to work on them. I ended up taking them to a dealer 45 min away and its amazing what kind of service I got. Just remember not all dealers you buy from are willing to help you out

MOHUSTLER
02-22-2010, 05:12 PM
The best thing to do is get feedback from the other LCO's in the area. See how they have been treated. We bend over backwards for our cutters in our town. They are our best advertising period.

JB1
02-22-2010, 07:05 PM
not all dealers are created equal, one dealer might be buying a lot more machines thus getting them for better prices. So some dealers can't come down off list as you think they should.

MONTE
02-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Very True. Also some dealers will buy up old stock or other units dealers had and could not sell and get a deal on it and pass it along. But if I was a dealer and could not match the price of a machine out of town I would work on it but it would be in my spare time not a stop and fix it now machine for sure.

rwaters
02-22-2010, 08:03 PM
Very True. Also some dealers will buy up old stock or other units dealers had and could not sell and get a deal on it and pass it along. But if I was a dealer and could not match the price of a machine out of town I would work on it but it would be in my spare time not a stop and fix it now machine for sure.

The old stock is what I would guess you were buying at best, that or a dealer losing his dealership for that big of a drop. most company's I deal with only give about 3% to the larger dealerships no place near enough for a $2000 price drop. it could also be a demo or a return that would get that pricing. I always do the best I can to take care of anyone.

But remember if you can not fix your own mower then buy from a local dealer as you make a living with that machine and need someone able to fix it.

STIHL GUY
02-22-2010, 10:56 PM
i buy from the same place that fixes my equipment

thegreenteam
02-22-2010, 11:02 PM
Thanks

I drive almost 2 hours whenever I need to buy a new machine. I do all the work myself and when I need parts I go 30 minutes out of town. There is a dealer 5 minutes from me. They just don't get it, high prices, poor service, poor communication. If any of you are interested in exmark mowers contact Randy Stuber at Hilty Power Equipment. Berne, IN. He always goes above and beyond.

jmullins6987
02-24-2010, 09:47 PM
As a dealer of many major power equip. lines dealers ARE REQUIRED to perform warranty work on a line they carry whether they sold the customer the mower or not. A simple call the the manufacture should fix your problem with a dealer. I also agree times are tight and customers are looking to get the most for their money. I match any price a customer brings in to pull in the additional buisness (parts,service,accesories).

topsites
02-24-2010, 10:12 PM
Do you haggle at the cash register of the grocery store, you know, hey look register
dude can I offer you $2.75 for this here $3.59 gallon of milk?

How about at a fast food restaurant, do you "offer" them $3.60 for that there $4.79 #5 combo?

Well, do you?
No?

How come, why not?

topsites
02-24-2010, 10:25 PM
sorry, dupe post.

wimpy
02-24-2010, 11:56 PM
As a dealer of many major power equip. lines dealers ARE REQUIRED to perform warranty work on a line they carry whether they sold the customer the mower or not. A simple call the the manufacture should fix your problem with a dealer. I also agree times are tight and customers are looking to get the most for their money. I match any price a customer brings in to pull in the additional buisness (parts,service,accesories).

That's a joke. I know a few of the dealers around my area very well and you know what happens when a disgruntled customer calls the manufacturer to complain? The manufacturer rep and dealer laugh about it and leave it at that. Sometimes if the manufacturer whines to the dealer to take care of the whiney customer, what they'll do is make the customer wait about a month to get their machine looked at sometimes more depending on what they want to do. The man. reps don't like these type of customers any more than the dealers do.

It may be in writing that dealers are required to do warranty but that isn't the reality. They have that in there to make it look good and give the consumers the confidence to buy their product and have it serviced anywhere there is a dealer for it. Bottom line it's entirely up to the dealer whether they want to warranty or not.

jmullins6987
02-25-2010, 08:44 AM
As far as the last couple post go your not gonna haggle on a gallon of milk or a few dollar meal because that type of purchase is completly different, we are talking about a few hundred dollars you might be able to save when buying a mower.

As the dealer having to perform warranty work, it is in the dealer agreements and I have dealt with a manufacture that will handle if a problem arises between the dealer and customer and any company that doesnt want to make the customer happy and just wants to laugh it off doesnt deserve my customers buisness! :hammerhead:

lotsagrass
02-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Not talking about mowers, but I drove from Cincinnati to Rochester, NY to get the deal I wanted on a truck and never once have I had problems with warranty work. I've had great service from any local dealer I've went to for repairs.

That said, yes dealers need to make money too...but sometimes mowers are like motorcycles. Many motorcycle dealers have very little competition so they charge what they want. No, I don't have insight into what dealers financial situation is and in some cases they might have to charge more to stay afloat, but on the other hand I'm sure some weasels take advantage of the situation and charge what they do just because they can.

Regarding a dealer refusing warranty work...I'd push hard with the manufacturer to come down hard on the dealer if they're an authorized dealer/repair shop and they're refusing just because they didn't like where you bought the machine. That's wrong...and childish. Business is business. Grow up, I say (to the dealer that would do this).

jmullins6987
02-25-2010, 08:59 AM
thanks lotsagrass you are one of the few people that understand how power equipment dealers should act and have they are. I completey agree with you. As a dealer I am more than happy to do warranty work on a line I carry weather they bought it from me or not times are rough and I dont understand how dealers turn away work. It not like Im not getting paid for my work.

MOHUSTLER
02-25-2010, 09:23 AM
We are required to fix any warranty situation. The time we do it in is another thing. But if we refuse we will get a call from our rep and then if its not done, a call from someone higher up the chain.

lotsagrass
02-25-2010, 09:27 AM
thanks lotsagrass you are one of the few people that understand how power equipment dealers should act and have they are. I completey agree with you. As a dealer I am more than happy to do warranty work on a line I carry weather they bought it from me or not times are rough and I don't understand how dealers turn away work. It not like Im not getting paid for my work.

For me it has to do with being a nice person and doing the right thing. I personally think it's dishonest/rude to treat people like that. You can't blame someone for going somewhere else to save a little money. People shop around for their own reasons, but most of the time it's just about saving as much money as they can. I'm not a dealer obviously but if I were I can't imagine turning someone away or treating them like crap just because they didn't buy from me. That would be counterproductive to my business' success. I believe if you're honest and do the best you can for someone, the customer will be back because they know they can trust you. Heck, you never know...even with higher prices (if charging more for the right reasons), maybe over time you'll win that customer because they like your service so much. So...I don't understand the whole penalizing thing for not buying at the same place you get your service. Again, this is all based on the idea that someone is charging more just because they can...not because they have to. I do realize some dealers may not be able to sell for less due to their business conditions, etc.

flman
02-25-2010, 10:07 AM
As a dealer we appreciate all of our loyal customers and the new ones we get every year from other dealerships.
I'm located in Florida and there are far more dealerships per county than up North so our pricing is always kept in check because of competition. I can guarantee that there is never a 2k difference in pricing on the same make, model, year, and location of machine you are pricing.
In my store my customers are treated as good as we economically can, so as far as warranty for others may go, we treat them with the same respect as they treat us but they must understand that we do not owe them anything but good service. Warranty is for the consumer to be taken care of and not the dealer to make a living on. In 2009 I have had to make more phone calls than before to dispute the amount I was paid on claims then waiting anywhere from 45-60 days for my payment. Tightening of factory budgets.
In conclusion I believe the majority of dealers are not out to get anyone but trying to keep up with the changing market and economy.:confused:

rwaters
02-25-2010, 01:06 PM
In todays economy their are companys you lose money doing warranty for. Personally I do take care of warranty issues on units I did not sell as most of the time it evens out as they buy something else from you. Also you have to wait for your money from manufactures and the fact that your warranty if void from some equipment if you buy it online Redmax, I think Stihl, and I am sure a few others(the warranty agreement says the dealer showed you how to start it, if you did not do that it is void, in fact my rep informed me this was to stop dealers from selling online) we could get left holding the bag. you guys that buy online would get pissed if we charged you for the parts and labor then refunded the money so for some dealers that have been caught in that they might be better off refuseing the warranty. I have been lucky but I do know of dealers that have lost out on major warrantys on units they did not sell, and I have fought one for over a year to get paid.

And for anyone that thinks that if the dealer is breaking any kind of law or agreement with a manufacture your nuts, I have been in the business for years and never have I signed an agreement that says I have to do warranty on a unit I did not sell. We do this as a service for the customer, and I do put my customers first in line... This is business and I would expect you do the same.

Most dealers will fix your machine if they get paid for the warranty work. but then again most of the companys that pay for warranty work dont set up dealers that dont provide service(internet dealers) your best bet is to ask a dealer of the line your looking at to see how warranty pays and make sure he will fix it before you buy elsewhere. The dealers posting here are on your side we are just trying to provide you with the best information we can so you do not get stuck with a bad purchase.

jmullins6987
02-26-2010, 08:33 PM
The dealer agreements that I have signed state that the dealer is REQUIRED to perform warranty work on the product line. It doenst clearly state weather its purchased from you or not but it is a piece of equipment from the product line the dealer carries. Dealers that refuse to perform warranty work if you dint buy it from them are jealous and have bad buisness practices. The dealer thinks by tellling the customer they wont perform warranty work if it was not purchased from them are scaring the customer into buying from them. Those dealers are actually pushing those customers away and they wont return!

rwaters
02-26-2010, 10:56 PM
The dealer agreements that I have signed state that the dealer is REQUIRED to perform warranty work on the product line. It doenst clearly state weather its purchased from you or not but it is a piece of equipment from the product line the dealer carries. Dealers that refuse to perform warranty work if you dint buy it from them are jealous and have bad buisness practices. The dealer thinks by tellling the customer they wont perform warranty work if it was not purchased from them are scaring the customer into buying from them. Those dealers are actually pushing those customers away and they wont return!

I agree with you that it is bad practice to refuse to do warranty but I suggest you reread any dealer agreements you have signed becouse I assure you that not all of them do say that. I will do warranty on anything brought in here but I do read what I sign I have a lot of agreements that say I do not have to do warranty on some lines I have. In fact some of them spell that out.

Now and exception is a expert dealer on kohler has to do warranty on all kohlers, a master dealer on briggs has to do all briggs and so on.

But if you take that advice to a dealer you will find some that will not be pleasent with you and their is nothing that can be done about it in a lot of cases.

I am not trying to be rude just trying to give the best advice I can to a guy not even looking at my shop.

rwaters
02-26-2010, 11:20 PM
hey dealers are not the enemy, we are just trying to put food on the table like you are. In most cases we are not rich either. Warranty is a sticky subject as a lot of dealers have been stuck on warrantys that have been denyed after they were filed. The dealer gives out the equipment then has to pay for the parts and the labor out of his own pocket.

Those are the dealers that will deny warranty repairs if you buy the mower elsewhere. I have been around this industry for a long time and I have talked to a lot of dealers that have been stuck with warrantys.

But also remember most warrantys are not with the mower manufature, a hustler dealer can work on an engine problem, a scag dealer can work on a exmark hydrolic unit. if they are under the parts warranty.

And check with the dealers before you buy online the more cranky the dealer is or more he pushes you to another line the worse the line is about warrantys for the most part. the lines that dont pay have bad habits of it and piss off dealers. Also if a line changes dealers often, that is a bad sign.

justanotherlawnguy
02-26-2010, 11:37 PM
what a waste of time trying to save a few bucks. After spending hours on the computer trying to find out if your getting a good deal, then driving hours to get the machine, and hours back, lord knows how many hours you just wasted.

put those hours into productive time, and you just cost yourself money. yeah, yeah, I know your saying that you do this "research" after hours, but still, its such a waste of time.

every other thread on here is people complaining about scabs, and lowballers destroying their business. Congratulations, now thats you!

Jay Ray
02-27-2010, 12:07 AM
My dealer sells a lot of commercial and a lot of homeowner equip. He will not budge on Z's. At least not on a lot of one Z only. I don't know about the homeowner stuff, probably not.

I never heard of anyone budging on Exmark around here. Some travel a good ways to get a break on Scag. I don't know if they are figuring mileage, wear and tear on the truck, and their time into it.

superrman77
02-27-2010, 12:12 AM
what a waste of time trying to save a few bucks. After spending hours on the computer trying to find out if your getting a good deal, then driving hours to get the machine, and hours back, lord knows how many hours you just wasted.

put those hours into productive time, and you just cost yourself money. yeah, yeah, I know your saying that you do this "research" after hours, but still, its such a waste of time.

every other thread on here is people complaining about scabs, and lowballers destroying their business. Congratulations, now thats you!

Driving a couple of hours to save 2 grand on a mower is a no brainer. You just saved your business 2 thousand off of a brand new mower. More money in your pocket. How is this a waste of time even in the dead of winter when you are not mowing. So I guess if you want the deal you are a scab. I'm sorry but I like my money that I make.