PDA

View Full Version : The future of mower decks?

Richard Martin
02-22-2010, 07:59 AM
I was surfing the TV this morning and an infomercial about pots and pans caught my eye. They claimed to have a super non stick hard scratch resistant coating. I have looked into Teflon for mower decks but it is too soft and would become useless pretty quickly under a mower deck. This stuff seems to have the same non stick properties as Teflon but it is rock hard.

It's called Thermolon and is from Dupont.

It is easy to apply... http://www.thermolon.com/technical/coating-method

It is hard, abrasion resistant and corrosion resistant.

You can read more about it here... www.thermolon.com

This stuff is starting to sound like a cure for grass clogged mower decks.

What do you all think?

dishboy
02-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Looks promising, hope it becomes available at retail outlets soon.

Richard Martin
02-22-2010, 08:27 AM
Looks promising, hope it becomes available at retail outlets soon.

Like any other ceramic coating it must be heat cured. Unless you have a way to heat up a 60" deck to 500 F for a period or somewhere thereabouts it's not likely this will be available for home applications.

Richard Martin
02-22-2010, 08:34 AM
A little researching indicates that Thermolon is significantly harder than the hardest power coat paints that mower manufacturers use on the bottoms of decks. It's looking better and better.

grassman177
02-22-2010, 09:04 AM
but how are you going to heat treat it at all yourself, and do you think manufacturers will use it or at least test it?? is that where you are going with this idea? curious

MOHUSTLER
02-22-2010, 09:08 AM
Sounds like a great idea! Im sure companies are testing it as we speek.

Richard Martin
02-22-2010, 09:14 AM
but how are you going to heat treat it at all yourself, and do you think manufacturers will use it or at least test it?? is that where you are going with this idea? curious

It can't be done at home. I'm hoping someone will test it. I know they read these forums. There are also a whole lot of mower dealers that read but don't post. Manufacturers will hear about it even if they don't post. Who knows who the first manufacturer will be. Perhaps a high end builder like Exmark, Walker or Hustler. Perhaps an innovative company like Dixie Chopper. Or maybe one of the smaller guys like Bobcat or Encore that are trying to make a real dent. And don't forget our buddy Ted is working on an all new mower right now. But I do believe it's only a matter of time before you see Thermolon coated decks. Someone will try it.

Richard Martin
02-22-2010, 09:49 AM
I just came up with a bit of an idea. Later on when the grass is actually growing I'm going to run some tests on this stuff. I'm going to buy a Thermolon pan. Then I'm going to try and see if I can cut a rectangle out of it and bolt it under my mower deck in a spot that gets a lot of build up. That will tell me if it can be cut, drilled and how well it resists abrasion and it's non stick properties with grass. I can see how it would be possible to buy some Thermolon broiler pans and line the entire underside of a deck for about $200.

mowerbrad
02-22-2010, 11:01 AM
This surely has quite the potential. For mower manufacturers it should be a relatively simple procedure to put this coating on the deck, at least once they are set-up to do so. And if this stuff actually works under the extreme conditions it would be under on a mower deck, then I think there is surely something to it. My only question if it does work, how long would it last under the deck?

grassman177
02-22-2010, 12:05 PM
i think maybe you should forward the info to a few reps for the manufactorers, this could be very promising, but it does need to be tested well to see how well it would hold up

MJB
02-22-2010, 12:37 PM
Has anyone on here tried Slip Plate from Mower Guard ? That stuff looks like it would work as it is designed for mower decks. I was going to order some to try it but got busy now it's almost to late.

grassman177
02-22-2010, 02:11 PM
aplusbob on here uses slipplate and he loves it. i may have to try some out

demhustler
02-23-2010, 01:49 PM

same as carbon-fiber body - building box, insulating + heat gun(heat source)?
watch tempr.