PDA

View Full Version : French drains

Big C
02-22-2010, 11:38 AM
I had a customer ask me today about installing French drains....I have no clue about these....all I know is they are rock lined trenches that the water is suppose to run into when it comes off of the roof and then drain off of the property...they are suppose to take the place of gutters.....I never heard of them...any info will be helpful

Fletcher Reede
02-22-2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.ndspro.com/water-drainage/gravel-free-drainage/ezflow/

LB1234
02-22-2010, 11:46 AM
all I know is they are rock lined trenches that the water is suppose to run into when it comes off of the roof and then drain off of the property...they are suppose to take the place of gutters

completely wrong!!

french drains are utilized for ground seepage NOT for surface water (i.e. gutters). Gutters should be placed in solid pipe (no need for stone) while 'french' drains should be installed with clean stone and perforated pipe to collect the ground water or seepage water.

Not to try and sound harsh, but figure out what you are doing BEFORE you wind up tying this guys gutters into a french drain and have all of the surface water run back into his basement.

good luck

KrayzKajun
02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
completely wrong!!

have all of the surface water run back into his basement.

good luck

whts a basement? we dont have those in Louisiana!

White Gardens
02-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Here is a thread on a drain I did a year ago. I tried to set this one up to collect surface water too.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=253922 (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=253922&highlight=Rock+For+French+Drain)

LB1234
02-22-2010, 01:24 PM
whts a basement? we dont have those in Louisiana!

correct...sorry...then put even MORE water under the foundation.:laugh:

Landscraper1
02-22-2010, 08:03 PM
I had a customer ask me today about installing French drains....I have no clue about these....all I know is they are rock lined trenches that the water is suppose to run into when it comes off of the roof and then drain off of the property...they are suppose to take the place of gutters.....I never heard of them...any info will be helpful

With gutters you are probably better off installing a drywell.

Big C
02-22-2010, 08:15 PM
completely wrong!!

french drains are utilized for ground seepage NOT for surface water (i.e. gutters). Gutters should be placed in solid pipe (no need for stone) while 'french' drains should be installed with clean stone and perforated pipe to collect the ground water or seepage water.

Not to try and sound harsh, but figure out what you are doing BEFORE you wind up tying this guys gutters into a french drain and have all of the surface water run back into his basement.

good luck

In no way was I planning on doing the drain work and the incorrect info that was given to me came from the customer....I don't think those are very popular in Louisiana.
Just thought I'd learn something....that's all

White Gardens
02-22-2010, 09:40 PM
completely wrong!!

good luck

This is not true, and french drains can collect surface water, and the link I posted has proven that. I keep checking with the HO's that I did that project for, and so for so good. I think the key was having a steep drop through the run in order to not let the water back up to the basement.

LB1234
02-22-2010, 11:30 PM
This is not true, and french drains can collect surface water, and the link I posted has proven that. I keep checking with the HO's that I did that project for, and so for so good. I think the key was having a steep drop through the run in order to not let the water back up to the basement.

i will kindly agree to disagree with this one

White Gardens
02-23-2010, 12:43 AM
i will kindly agree to disagree with this one

Yes, we disagree, and kindly, but I just don't understand how a french drain, designed as such, can't take away surface water. I've seen them work in such a manner.

Dreams To Designs
02-23-2010, 10:06 AM
The term french drain is used generically to include any hole or trench, filled with rock, to remove water. Sometimes a drywell is referred to as a french drain, often the stone filled trench cut in the perimeter of a floor in a basement is referred to as a french drain. For homes without gutters and downspouts that shed the rainwater to the ground, right at the foundation, a french drain can be the trench dug around the roof perimeter. Often the trench is filled with stone and sometimes is piped, or by use of a dry creek bed, the water is directed away from the foundation.

More modern techniques have replaced the tons of dirty rock with fabric covered packing peanuts surrounding a perforated pipe, rows of perforated corrugated tubing, buried garbage cans (NDS Flowell), or even modified milk crates, shared with the pondless water feature builders, supplied by Eco-rain and others.

However we do it, we need to get the water away from the home and it's foundation as damage will occur. The need for maintenance with any drain is important, but a better designed system will minimize maintenance and create a more direct solution. Basically installing gutters and downspouts on a home, rather than allowing the rainwater to sheet off onto foundation plantings, steps, walkways or patios. Having no rain gutters is unusual for most parts of the country, but in areas where the soils are conducive and buildings rarely exceed 1 story, it was common. Most barns, pole-buildings or outdoor structures don't have gutters, except in certain areas of the country.

Big C, does this house have gutters and downspouts? If no gutters and the rainwater is flowing off the roof into the beds, Fletchers post will work quite well and you won't need to deal with all that 3/4" clean stone, that never really is clean. Once in the EZ Flow, collect in areas that you can run solid pipe to. Run the pipe underground to an exit point, best if open air with a protective grate or in your area an NDS Pop-up emitter should work well. Check with the local suppliers if animal or insect habitation can be a problem. If downspouts are in place, collect in basins and follow the solid pipe out to an exit point. Size of components needs to be calculated with some measurements of roof area, soil conditions and average rainfall amounts, but NDS makes and easy to use slide rule that can be acquired from and dealer or representative.

Kirk

White Gardens
02-23-2010, 10:48 AM
Good Post Kirk. Thumbs Up

mike174
02-23-2010, 10:49 PM
completely wrong!!

BEFORE you wind up tying this guys gutters into a french drain and have all of the surface water run back into his basement.

good luck

:laugh::laugh: :laugh: