PDA

View Full Version : Headstone trimming

RCSindiana
02-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Im working a bid on multiple township owned cemeteries. They specify no weedeaters or weedkiller around the headstones. It is a bi weekly mow with once a month trimming around headstones. I have contacted them on which procedure they request for the trimming but have got no response back yet. Has anyone ran into this before? What was expected to do the trim work? Thanks in advance.

MOHUSTLER
02-22-2010, 04:07 PM
They must want you to get one of them new magic wands and make the grass shorter with that.

Valk
02-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Would this RedMax Reciprocator work...or would it be too slow?

http://www.redmax.com/node3936.aspx?nid=158997

RCSindiana
02-22-2010, 05:13 PM
Wow, Neat piece of equipment. I will be trying a demo on one of those. Thanks for the link.

Turf Dawg
02-22-2010, 07:21 PM
Kawasaki has a reciprocator also

Landscraper1
02-22-2010, 07:33 PM
I think they don't want the weed wacker because of scatching the stones. Wouldn't the reciprocator scatch the stones also. And it would be kind of slow.

SouthSide Cutter
02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
One of mine is this way, cut twice a month weedeat once. You can get in a bind on some months because its longer than two weeks. You end up with alot of grass.
They do this because of money. If you cant use a weedeater what would you use?

RCSindiana
02-22-2010, 08:45 PM
I finally got it down to use a weedeater but be careful:hammerhead: I wasnt sure my insurance would cover my guys with scissors in their hand. I will definately demo a reciprocator to see the speed and the ability to not damage headstones. Telling a employee to be careful is like speaking russian to them.

Daily Lawn/Landscape
02-23-2010, 12:48 AM
hand pull:) But then again they would not want to pay that bill.

James

65hoss
02-25-2010, 01:30 PM
We did a 5 acre cemetary last year. NEVER again. The trimming was much more time consuming than I had accounted for. The mowing with all the obsticles made it slower also.
My advice...whatever you come up with in time and price estimates, increase by 75%.

RCSindiana
02-25-2010, 02:51 PM
Ive been trying to do some research on time versus acreage. Would you mind sharing your total time to mow and trim the 5 acres? Was it considered a full 5 acres headstone wise. Thank you.

KarambaStar
02-25-2010, 03:00 PM
A large cemetery (200+ acres) near here uses curved shaft trimmers for trimming around the headstones. They use WB's and ZT's for area mowing, but I think next year they're going to ditch the WB's and use only trimmers and ZT's.

LwnmwrMan22
02-26-2010, 03:01 AM
You could use a growth regulator around the head stones. It'll save your trimming time by allowing you to trim about every 6 weeks.

It doesn't kill the grass, keeps it green.

I use it along fence lines at schools and parks we mow all the time.

Just don't get sticker shock though, just remember all the time you're saving.

65hoss
02-28-2010, 02:14 AM
Ive been trying to do some research on time versus acreage. Would you mind sharing your total time to mow and trim the 5 acres? Was it considered a full 5 acres headstone wise. Thank you.

Went back and looked at my numbers. It was close to 7 acres. About 3 acres were wide open with no headstones. 4 acres were full of headstones and with no consistency of placement. These numbers are for normal conditions and how long each jobtype took:
Mowing with 2 52" Lazers and 1 60" Lazer was 1.00 hour...each
Trim time was 1 hour with 2 trimmer guys...each
Stick edging was 1/2 hour for 1 guy
Blowing all headstones and walkways 3/4 hour for 1 guy.

Close to 8 man hours would have been normal. Here is the problem, we only had 2 weeks all season 2009 that were excellent normal conditions. We had the wettiest year i've ever seen, so the growth was tremendous each visit. It was always wet grass we were cutting.
We ended up being their 3 to 3.5 hours almost every cut. Instead of 8 man hours, it was 12-14 man hours almost every time. Labor and fuel costs were much higher than budgeted for.

Every cemetary is different. You can't take my numbers and use them for any other one as a benchmark. Every cemetary has completely different layouts, requirements, and of course, employee experience levels.

The option of a growth regulator around headstones is something you should take very seriously. That stuff does work and work well, as long as its real grass and not weeds. We were just about to experiment with it last year, but the weather was never consistent enough for us to try it. I did get to see it work on a few other properties and its awesome. But, as stated, be prepared for the sticker shock. But its an excellent tradeoff.

We are NOT doing this property again this season. The time, expense and pure irritation of this property is just too great. I might would do another one at some point, but I will be extremely picky and extremely HIGH on price.

SouthSide Cutter
02-28-2010, 10:27 AM
It makes a big difference how the stones are laid out. Some are just uneven and the flower thing gets out of hand to. Some stones have flowers and other stuff all over them and it gets blown off and you got to put it back or pick up the flowers to mow. But in all when you get your pattern down it makes a diff on time. And like was said before last year sucked on grass growth and being wet.

DLCS
02-28-2010, 11:18 AM
I don't think that I could handle mowing any of the cemetaries around here. looks liek most have no ryhme or reason on how they are laid out.

clydebusa
02-28-2010, 11:27 AM
We did a 5 acre cemetary last year. NEVER again. The trimming was much more time consuming than I had accounted for. The mowing with all the obsticles made it slower also.
My advice...whatever you come up with in time and price estimates, increase by 75%.

He is right, I did a small cemetery for 1 season. My God it took a while, and then when you start going they have a funeral and you set around for 30 minutes. I figured out why they had to get new contracts every year. My first clue should of been only 2 company's bid the job.