PDA

View Full Version : Crappy Edging or Install Problems

4 seasons lawn&land
02-22-2010, 06:38 PM
I did a paver side walk that is heaving excessively on both sides only, no where in the middle. So its shaped like a gutter, not that dramatic but its beveled.

I did the edging on top of the last compacted lift and under the setting bed so I think the install part was right. But I used Home Depot edging which I've since seen others criticize, and I used the Home Depot plastic spikes every 3rd space.

Can anyone offer some info or suggestions?

zedosix
02-22-2010, 08:16 PM
I did a paver side walk that is heaving excessively on both sides only, no where in the middle. So its shaped like a gutter, not that dramatic but its beveled.

I did the edging on top of the last compacted lift and under the setting bed so I think the install part was right. But I used Home Depot edging which I've since seen others criticize, and I used the Home Depot plastic spikes every 3rd space.

Can anyone offer some info or suggestions?

Possibly your spikes are being forced up by frost and lifting the brick at the same time. Sounds more like an install issue rather than a material quality issue.

Lugnut
02-22-2010, 09:31 PM
Edging issues usually give the opposite problem from what I've seen, giving the end pavers too much room to move around and settle, not push up. Not to criticize your work but perhaps your base was a little too thin and its heaved up on the edges? That would be my first thought if I got a callback to a walkway that looked like the one you explained.

4 seasons lawn&land
02-22-2010, 10:37 PM
well it is really bad clay at this location so I did the base a little over a foot deep and 8" wider than the walk itself.

So given the base and the edging instal details I mentioned earlier, is there something else I could have done wrong?

Paverman
02-25-2010, 05:09 PM
try to use use steel spikes, the plastic ones have very little friction against the soil/base material. either galvanized or common

4 seasons lawn&land
02-25-2010, 08:10 PM
thanks. Ive now read some discrediting remarks on the plastic spikes and depot Edge restraint. I cant think of anything else that could be happening. Can you curve edging too much? Because this was a tight curve.

zedosix
02-25-2010, 08:25 PM
The clay is likely saturated or was saturated when the ground froze, is it possible the frost is coming out of the ground and pushing up on the restraint spikes?

4 seasons lawn&land
02-25-2010, 08:53 PM
the clay was bad enough that it was shiney when compacted and the plate compactor left an inch deep indent but it was also a foot from the bottom of the pavers.

zedosix
02-25-2010, 09:20 PM
How did you excavate the walkway, hand, bobcat, excavator?

4 seasons lawn&land
02-25-2010, 10:34 PM
WB bobcat skid, why?

zedosix
02-25-2010, 10:37 PM
WB bobcat skid, why?

What is WB

4 seasons lawn&land
02-25-2010, 10:42 PM
walk behind

zedosix
02-25-2010, 10:46 PM
walk behind

Thats what I thought. I asked about how you excavated because if you used a wheeled skidsteer and left ruts in the excavation, then this area would hold water, thus be suceptible to frost heaving.