PDA

View Full Version : GIMME A MATCH! 6.5TD stalls!

fullmetalbucket
02-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Hi All, I've got a '95 GMC 3500 6.5TD that runs like a top!!! Until I go to move it!! It has a full tank of fuel, new OPS, new LP and it stalls after I move it about 50 ft in the driveway!! It started doing it in Jan and I can't figure it out.... plus I don't have a heated shop or anywhere I can get the truck in out of the weather to work on it so I haven't spent much time crawling around in the snow to check it out.... It'll run just idling all day long (tonight for 40 min or so...), but as soon as I start driving it it just stalls.
Any ideas?
Oh, it also has a new sending unit in the tank and a couple new fuel lines and there are no obvious fuel leaks.... :confused:

zabmasonry
02-22-2010, 09:38 PM
PMD possibly? does the engine spool up while the truck sits still? I had a lot of issues with my 6.5 getting air in through hairline cracks in the fuel system. can you give a few specifics on the truck

bobcat_ron
02-24-2010, 12:52 PM
Torch it, my Dad's '96 stalls out on the open road, something to do with the ECM getting hot enough to turn itself off, there is a mod available where you put a small computer cooling fan on an aluminum heat sink and that stops the stalling.

mowerbrad
02-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Does it always stall out when driving, or is it more periodic, like once a day?

I'd check the injection pump and PMD, but I'm leaning toward the injection pump.

fullmetalbucket
02-24-2010, 04:08 PM
It's frustrating because it starts fine, runs fine and stalls about 20-30sec after I start to move it around.... Makes no difference if it's hot or cold. I can't drive it because it won't run. It almost seems like when it's under load it starves for fuel. I replaced the fuel filter - no difference. Today as a test, when I turned the ignition over and the LP came on I opened the bleeder on top of the fuel filter housing and fuel was pouring out - good sign! Started it up, let it run maybe 10 min, put it in gear and moved about 10ft and it stalled.... :hammerhead: So I turned the ignition off then back on so the LP would come on and opened the bleeder again and nothing.... took the top of the housing off with the LP running and the housing was practically empty. Let it sit a couple hours, turned the ignition on and opened the bleeder, I got a ton of air out then fuel, then I started it, let it run and it shut down as always when I went to move it.... Really miss having a heated shop at times like this.... I hate to think it's the PMD.... could it be sucking air from some pinhole? Would that be enough to cause all this??
Thanks for the replies.

bearmtnmartin
02-24-2010, 04:35 PM
Its often the PMD. If you have more than 30000K on it, I would suggest changing it. They get hot and crap out. If its the injection pump, it will often give trouble when it is warm, because they can't build enough fuel pressure on hot fuel. But hey, if you want either a PMD or a new pump, I have both! I threw a rod in my 6.5 a few weeks ago just after recieving a new pump from Heath Diesel so its still in the box....Now I have a Dodge. A good injection pump on a 6.5 has enough suck to actually draw from the fuel tank. Or so I'm told. A good way to figure out which component it is is to pour cold water on either the pump or the PMD. It will cool down the fuel/raise fuel pressure or cool down the PMD so it will start. Helped me isolate my worn pump.

bobcat_ron
02-24-2010, 04:45 PM
I still say torch the damn truck, Chevy's burn real good, it's all the hopes and dreams of Americans who purchased that crap that makes such good fuel for a Chevy fire!

bearmtnmartin
02-24-2010, 04:55 PM
I really liked my truck, and I can't say it gave me any trouble except what I did to myself, other than a couple PMD's. But towing a 10,000 # machine and throw in a boost fooler, 80 hp chip, marine injectors.......I can't really blame the truck....

fullmetalbucket
02-24-2010, 05:59 PM
I still say torch the damn truck, Chevy's burn real good, it's all the hopes and dreams of Americans who purchased that crap that makes such good fuel for a Chevy fire!

LOL! I'm almost there! It's a tough truck and has done alot of heavy work over the last few years I've had it but there are so many little things that can just shut the truck down..... I'm ok to fix things if I have the time but right now time is pretty thin..... Hopefully I'll have another truck sometime this week or on the weekend..... I'd like to get this truck fixed and keep it going but it's clear I need a backup!

Anyhow, I don't think it can be heat related as it'll do it when it's stone cold, running only a minute or two after it's been running. Could it still be the PMD?? This truck has 92,000 orig miles with about 15,000 on a full rebuild with stud girdle kit....

What do you want for the pump and PMD Martin?? :drinkup:

bearmtnmartin
02-24-2010, 07:24 PM
LOL! I'm almost there! It's a tough truck and has done alot of heavy work over the last few years I've had it but there are so many little things that can just shut the truck down..... I'm ok to fix things if I have the time but right now time is pretty thin..... Hopefully I'll have another truck sometime this week or on the weekend..... I'd like to get this truck fixed and keep it going but it's clear I need a backup!

Anyhow, I don't think it can be heat related as it'll do it when it's stone cold, running only a minute or two after it's been running. Could it still be the PMD?? This truck has 92,000 orig miles with about 15,000 on a full rebuild with stud girdle kit....

What do you want for the pump and PMD Martin?? :drinkup:

Well, its sure doing me no good sitting on my shelf. I just went to Heaths website and they have dropped the price. I Paid $1100.00 in December, and now its $100.00 less. So how about....$750.00 plus shipping? I have not even opened the box.

zabmasonry
02-24-2010, 08:36 PM
make sure that you relocate the PMD too. I'd go though the whole fuel system, having owned a one that had a pinhole leak. ACTUALLY, I'm thinking you may have an issue in your tank, that would explain the issues when you move the truck. I know that the 6.5 have a sock over the fuel pickup that can become clogged and create issues

fullmetalbucket
02-24-2010, 09:08 PM
I never thought about the pickup... I had a similar problem 2 years ago and eventually found the tiniest pinhole leak at the pickup right in front of the bracket the 2 tubes are attached to... replaced it and was fine after that. Difference then was that it would run and drive fine but under load, IE. trailer with Bobcat, it would starve a bit and eventually stall, this time is more severe.... Since there seems to be a few guys here with the 6.5's I'll post what the problem is when I get it figured out....

RollingZimmer
02-27-2010, 02:48 PM
i had this problem a month or so ago. i just replaced the fuel tank and then i took it out on a ride and blew a coolant crossover and truck sat for a week till i could get the part.

before the coolant part broke it would stall out if it idled for some time at stop lights or after talking to a customer but it would start up right after i tried to restart it.

so i got my new coolant part on and was ready to start her up and put it to work when all it did was start and die start and die. it sounded like a pop corn maker too which was not good. i brought it to the shop and they replaced the oil pressure switch and a dry rotted fuel line and it has been great since. i can idle it all night and go out and it wont stall like it used to.

i know you said you did that already but from my experience thats what it took to fix my issue.

its a good truck dude, ill take it off your hands if you dont want it.