PDA

View Full Version : Gas Gans

xclusive
02-23-2010, 12:11 AM
What kind of gas cans is everyone using? Do you guys take apart the safety nozzle cause it is a PITA or do you order the replacement nozzles that are not EPA regulated?

tmf lawn care
02-23-2010, 12:22 AM
i use 5gal jerry cans the work great

Hawg City Lawns
02-23-2010, 01:27 AM
you know those red blitz cans yeah i have those they suck when the pressure builds up from sitting in the sun the cap shoots off like a rocket sometimes you find the cap sometimes you dont

Merkava_4
02-23-2010, 01:51 AM
What kind of gas cans is everyone using? Do you guys take apart the safety nozzle cause it is a PITA or do you order the replacement nozzles that are not EPA regulated?

Where do you get the non-regulated replacement nozzles?

xclusive
02-23-2010, 05:58 AM
Where do you get the non-regulated replacement nozzles?

If you do a search on google you can find them on a few websites. That is how I found out they even existed although I have not purchased any yet.

demhustler
02-23-2010, 02:14 PM

easy 2 fix - just cut end with clippers or knife
wrap any foil for the cap - that's it

pita - oh, yea; common result of using this pos - "with this gov.regulated crp cans i spill more gas than in whole my life"

IN2MOWN
02-23-2010, 02:22 PM

pita - oh, yea; common result of using this pos - "with this gov.regulated crp cans i spill more gas than in whole my life"

Little confused. You use foil instead of a gas cap?

demhustler
02-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Little confused. You use foil instead of a gas cap?
: ))))))
on top of the nozzle, to prevent rain(snow) - water into can (through nozzle, end of which cutted-off)

betmr
02-23-2010, 02:50 PM
I've spilled more gas with these spill proof cans, than I've spilled my whole life with the old ones. And what a pain it is to fill string trimmers, chain saws, and blowers with them. Who ever came up with this idea, should be made to work in the Grounds Maintenance business for 5 years....just fueling equipment.

IN2MOWN
02-23-2010, 02:50 PM
Interesting.

No offense but Im NOT going to alter anything that could tip over, spill and cause a massive fire harming myself or others.

JMO...

topsites
02-23-2010, 04:31 PM
I decline to answer.

The-Other-Side
02-23-2010, 05:19 PM
I took some metal valve stems that were threaded and made vent holes for the cans. Just drilled a small hole up around the handles and screwed the valve stems in. No more spills since.

Jason Rose
02-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy some good cans. F all these plastic cans.

I just ordered 3 of the Justrite UNO cans.

Best deal I could find on them: http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(mn2bqc45en4f4zilbhz4e0rg)/productDetails.aspx?SKU=998004776

Yes, that's the ace hardware outlet. Not ace hardware.com (you won't find them there). There's no pics of the UNO cans on there but you can go to justrite's website and see them.

Now I'm touting them and haven't used them yet, waiting on my order. I WILL report back once I receive them and try them.

Last winter I spent big $$ on the "no-spill" brand cans and all 3 ended up with failed spouts before the summer was half over. I was MAD. I like them, especially for the 2.5 gallon can I use with my 2 stroke stuff, but the spouts keep failing.

The-Other-Side
02-23-2010, 05:24 PM
Make sure you keep your eye on those metal cans. People around here that buy them usually don't have them long before they end up missing. That's the only reason why I won't invest that much money into one.

Jason Rose
02-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Make sure you keep your eye on those metal cans. People around here that buy them usually don't have them long before they end up missing. That's the only reason why I won't invest that much money into one.

wonder why people would steal a metal can over a plastic can? gas is gas to a theif... Or do they want the can more than what's inside!? I'd be mad if I had one stolen for sure, but i'd be really mad to loose one and it didn't even have gas in it!

360ci
02-23-2010, 06:25 PM
I check local garage sales for items. You'd be surprised on what people sell. I had a metal can with NO RUST that I still use. Found it seven years ago a few blocks away for $1.

Panhead
02-23-2010, 07:00 PM
I've spilled more gas with these spill proof cans, than I've spilled my whole life with the old ones. And what a pain it is to fill string trimmers, chain saws, and blowers with them. Who ever came up with this idea, should be made to work in the Grounds Maintenance business for 5 years....just fueling equipment.

^ What he said!

yardguy28
02-23-2010, 07:30 PM
you know those red blitz cans yeah i have those they suck when the pressure builds up from sitting in the sun the cap shoots off like a rocket sometimes you find the cap sometimes you dont

i use these same cans. use to have the problem of them swelling up from sitting in the sun but not as much since i have my enclosed trailer now.

i use to remove the nozzle inbetween jobs or i'd leave the one i'm using with a nozzle and the others had that plastic cap they have on them when you first purchase them. those caps aren't tight so pressure doesn't build up.

i don't mind the no spill nozzles but i think removing the vents in the back was a HUGE mistake. where does the epa think the pressure is going to go.

360ci
02-23-2010, 07:54 PM
where does the epa think the pressure is going to go.

In their wallet!

JayD
02-23-2010, 08:05 PM
Do yourself a favor and buy some good cans. F all these plastic cans.

I just ordered 3 of the Justrite UNO cans.

Best deal I could find on them: http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/(mn2bqc45en4f4zilbhz4e0rg)/productDetails.aspx?SKU=998004776

Yes, that's the ace hardware outlet. Not ace hardware.com (you won't find them there). There's no pics of the UNO cans on there but you can go to justrite's website and see them.

Now I'm touting them and haven't used them yet, waiting on my order. I WILL report back once I receive them and try them.

Last winter I spent big $$ on the "no-spill" brand cans and all 3 ended up with failed spouts before the summer was half over. I was MAD. I like them, especially for the 2.5 gallon can I use with my 2 stroke stuff, but the spouts keep failing.

I had the same problem with those cans. You know you have three years for them to replace. I had 3 of them and they all did the same thing at the same time. I called my dealer and he orderd me new ends. They said they had a bad batch.

mowerdude777
02-23-2010, 08:08 PM
I use the blitz cans I have a few of the old and some of the new spill proof ones I really like the new ones

Lawn&OrderPM
02-23-2010, 10:48 PM
as corny as the flow and go things look, they work really well, just change the hose on them to a rubber hose,, and filling the trimmers and blowers is a breeze,,, i just take the nozzels off for the big machines,, cause i spill less, and can fill the machine rather quickly

millenium_123
02-25-2010, 10:03 AM
I use those no-spill gas cans. The nozzles split and begin to leak after a time, but they have replaced them for free everytime. Cheaper than the metal gas cans

Jason Rose
02-25-2010, 10:58 AM
I use those no-spill gas cans. The nozzles split and begin to leak after a time, but they have replaced them for free everytime. Cheaper than the metal gas cans

I will have to call them, or email, whichever works...

For some reason the spout on my "mix" can woks fine on the shutoff, but the white plastic nose splits out where it slides over the yellow part. I replaced it with another one that had been used with striaght gas for 3/4 of the season, and a week later it split as well. Something in the 2 cycle oil in the gas makes that white plastic shrink?? The ones on the reg. gas cans still don't have a problem with the white part of the spout, but the valves don't shut off and also leak out soaking your hand when you are holding it and dripping al over the mower...

JayD
02-25-2010, 11:09 AM

For some reason the spout on my "mix" can woks fine on the shutoff, but the white plastic nose splits out where it slides over the yellow part. I replaced it with another one that had been used with striaght gas for 3/4 of the season, and a week later it split as well. Something in the 2 cycle oil in the gas makes that white plastic shrink?? The ones on the reg. gas cans still don't have a problem with the white part of the spout, but the valves don't shut off and also leak out soaking your hand when you are holding it and dripping al over the mower...

I had three of these cans all bought at the same time. 2 for gas and 1 for gas/oil mix and they all did the same thing your talking about.

Just take them to your dealer or maybe first call him and let him know. He might just order them for you and then have you come in. My dealer told me that they will send you the whole new screw on part because they re-designed them because of that problem. So you just wont get the clear/white nasal part, you get the whole thing.

This is of course if your cans are not more than 3 years old from your purchase date.

I hope this helps....Let me know if it worked out all right for you..

Jason Rose
02-25-2010, 11:34 AM
No dealer here, I just ordered mine from a website. they don't sell the cans directly but can the nozzles. They are about a year old exactly... I doubt they "redesigned" them again in that amount of time. I an OLD one that I used for mix gas for years and the white part of the spout finally rotted and broke from bing in the sun all the time. Then the new models don't last more than a couple months. Some "improvement"... I also know a number of people on here were complaining that the black threaded part on theirs was cracking and splitting if they got them very tight on the can. Mine never did that, lol.

I think they also are false on their GPM flow rate claims. They say that you can add the spout extention hose and it doesn't slow down the flow... BS. It barely trickles out with the extention on there. I had to add vents to my cans as well (there's a thread I posted about it).

Jay Ray
02-25-2010, 11:42 AM

Somebody said awhile back you can put a small soft drink plastic bottle over the spout to replace the yellow caps on the old spouts and the fit is perfect. I'm going to try it soon.

And the new cans do spill more gas than could evaporate in a thousand years.

JayD
02-25-2010, 12:10 PM
No dealer here, I just ordered mine from a website. they don't sell the cans directly but can the nozzles. They are about a year old exactly... I doubt they "redesigned" them again in that amount of time. I an OLD one that I used for mix gas for years and the white part of the spout finally rotted and broke from bing in the sun all the time. Then the new models don't last more than a couple months. Some "improvement"... I also know a number of people on here were complaining that the black threaded part on theirs was cracking and splitting if they got them very tight on the can. Mine never did that, lol.

I think they also are false on their GPM flow rate claims. They say that you can add the spout extention hose and it doesn't slow down the flow... BS. It barely trickles out with the extention on there. I had to add vents to my cans as well (there's a thread I posted about it).

I just know I bought all mine in June of 2009 and took them in around November and was told that they cant just replace the clear nozzle because of them changing the design/fit, so I got three new nozzle assemblies from the tip to the black threaded part that screws down to the can it self.

TeamLawnCare
02-25-2010, 05:34 PM
I just build my own tanks, one for regular and one for mixed. Mount them on the trailer, put a hose with some sort of nozzle on one end, and let gravity do the job. A lot less filling and spilling.

millenium_123
02-25-2010, 08:15 PM

They've replaced mine twice, and I even told them they had already been replaced, However they sent me new ones again. Said they are still making improvements on the design.

Jason Rose
02-25-2010, 09:10 PM
They've replaced mine twice, and I even told them they had already been replaced, However they sent me new ones again. Said they are still making improvements on the design.

I got an email from them eariler asking for date codes inside the cap, which there is none... and I have yellow caps, not the translucent white ones... anyway, hopefully those fall into the warranty and "defective" catagory.

Kinda have to feel sorry for a company like that though, they aren't a huge company and to have that many problems that they have to replace and pay for shipping... I forsee them being bankrupt soon...

12Valve
02-25-2010, 09:44 PM
Have a $40 5gal red safty can with the big yellow spot....best can ive ever used...doesn't spill a drop.

I had been using a 1gal plastic can for my mix..easy to fill blowers ect but was having to mix up a new gallon everyday so I bought a new blitz safty can 5 gal and started mixing 2 2.5 gal sthil 2stroke mix.....ive cussed and spilt gas every time the worst/mosr aggervating can....would like to buy a replacemant spout

STIHL GUY
02-25-2010, 09:48 PM
the new EPA cans are junk...they cause more spilling and trouble that the old ones

lawnlandscape
02-25-2010, 10:40 PM

YES!!!

Bought a brand-new diesel can the other day. Was trying so hard hold it up (heavy), and hold down that stupid lever you must hold down to keep the diesel coming out of it (so f'n slow too), and then the stupid plastic tube came off and went right into the damn gas tank.

Had to take the gas tank off, and dump it out behind the garage to get the damn plastic tube out of the gas tank.

diesel can = GARBAGE, went to buy one without all the safety crap! :usflag:

bucky5
02-25-2010, 10:46 PM
Just picked up a VP racing can. Very nice! You can empty 5 gallons pretty quick. Nice flexible hose with screw on cap.

demhustler
02-25-2010, 11:47 PM
dem!- exactly same thing! - diesel can "eco"-something brand - to fill - takes forever, you need to hold some stupid lever - very awkward - attachable hose part - falling into the tank - good lack to fish it back...
yes, designers should be severely punished by filling tanks with their junk and fishing hoses parts

Manscape
02-25-2010, 11:59 PM
Speaking of gas cans I've seen alot of guys using auxiliary tanks mounted in their trailers and etc. Who has them? Sizes? brands? how do you like them? Where'd you get them? and most importantly.....$$$ price $$$ ?

TMlawncare
02-26-2010, 12:11 AM
Just bought two new can with the new saftey lever. Its the slowest can I have ever used. True POS.

Jay Ray
03-15-2010, 10:49 PM
I tried the plastic coke bottles for caps on some old spouts where I am missing the yellow caps, and the fit really is not tight enough for an open trailer in the wind.

On a couple of the new 5 gal. cans (about six months old, stopped using them, pita) from Walmart I did this:

Take the new-fangled spout off.

Using a flat screwdriver pry the small pivoting thumb side lever majiggy out, just pop it out with the screwdriver under it near the pivot, and throw it away. Its about an inch and a quarter long and good for nothing.

For the two triangular little tabs on the spout take diagonal cutters and cut them off as close as you can. Now the main lever goes down freely with the thumb, and the four fingers can lift the can at the front, other hand at the back.

I still don't like these spouts, but at least you can operate them fairly easily with two hands instead of needing three hands. I can't guarantee you will be satisfied with this solution but all you have to lose is a can that don't work.

For added measure I cut the ratcheting pawl off (has about ten teeth) so it is now easy to remove the spout off the can to fill it. Just tighten it good when full.

It's a much simpler thing once I got done with the modifications on it.:laugh::laugh::laugh: