PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else looking at the new Exmark 21's this year?

fsujammer
02-23-2010, 09:47 AM
I am looking at getting a couple of new 21's to replace my old lawn boys this year. I am going back and forth between the Snapper Hi-Vac and the new Exmark. What are your guys thoughts?

VAMower
02-23-2010, 11:11 AM
Im in a similar situation. My dealer seems pretty high on them. I understand that they are similar to the Commercial Toro's

DoetschOutdoor
02-23-2010, 12:34 PM
If business goes good, Im gonna pick one up for my personal yard as I never use a 21" anywhere else. They are frieken awesome looking and priced well at around $700 I think it was.

fsujammer
02-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Wow, only $700?! Is that the regular commercial series and not the Advantage Series? My dealers beginning price was around $1200. Can anybody else tell me how much they are being quoted for on these new mowers? I got a feeling my dealer is giving me a horrible price.

dishboy
02-23-2010, 02:38 PM
I am looking at getting a couple of new 21's to replace my old lawn boys this year. I am going back and forth between the Snapper Hi-Vac and the new Exmark. What are your guys thoughts?

I believe the Toro version of that mower has a wider chute opening which will effect bagging ability.

travski
02-23-2010, 03:24 PM
I just got off the phone with my dealer and he said they are $1,200 bucks and basically they are identical to Toro's line....

Jason Rose
02-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Yes, the toro and the exmark are the same mower with different branding... However the toro line offers several 21" mower choices where the exmark there's just the one model (i know there's sub models of that one). And $1,200 is about ballpark.

The snapper is a decent option, for around $800. (commercial). But they are steel deck and the drive system needs maintenance pretty routinely. However you can at least repair a snapper's drive, versus a regular 21" mower that when the tranny goes out you spend $250 for a new one.

ed2hess
02-23-2010, 06:45 PM
Just don't get the Kawaski engine they have been trouble for us. The rope starter mechanism is way underdesigned and we broke shear pin in
two of them. Never broke a shear pin on old Robin engine.

johnnybravo8802
02-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Personally, I think I"m going to shoot for the Honda HRX. I know it's not a full blown commercial unit but I think it would be a good machine, lighter weight, and only cost $629. I was told the new Exmark would be in the $800 range-maybe for the AS model?

Landscraper1
02-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Have used the commercial Snapper, great mower. Lately, we have been using the Hondas. They work great and are almost half the price.

exmark232
02-23-2010, 07:35 PM

i actually was at my dealer this afternoon and i have ran the snapper hi vacs for 4 years and its time to replace them. i really like the new exmark and i'll tell you why, there is less mainaince on them versus the snapper, 1 belt versus snappers 2 plus drive ring and the exmarks are slightly cheaper, i can get them for $890 a piece, exmark is running a promotion on them till the end of april

fsujammer
02-23-2010, 07:49 PM
i actually was at my dealer this afternoon and i have ran the snapper hi vacs for 4 years and its time to replace them. i really like the new exmark and i'll tell you why, there is less mainaince on them versus the snapper, 1 belt versus snappers 2 plus drive ring and the exmarks are slightly cheaper, i can get them for $890 a piece, exmark is running a promotion on them till the end of april

I talked to my dealer again and told him how much cheaper I could get the Snapper for. He ended up coming all the way down from $1200 to $850 which was $10 less than the Snapper. I agree with you about the less maintenance. I think the simpler a design, the fewer things that can break and less time it takes to repair. I am going with the Exmark.....gotta love those new black wheels!

dishboy
02-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Yes, the toro and the exmark are the same mower with different branding...

No their not , the Toro is the old Lawnboy commercial deck, and the Exmark is their own deck , similar to the Honda dome deck. They share the same drives and engines.

http://www.exmark.com/Commercial21/

http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/comm21/22156.html

I like the Toro deck for two reasons, the first is mulching related and the second is the chute design; Exmark is long and narrow , bad for bagging , Toro is short and wide, good for bagging. Exmark just does not get it with small mowers as seen with the 26, and now this blunder.

Jason Rose
02-23-2010, 09:49 PM
No their not , the Toro is the old Lawnboy commercial deck, and the Exmark is their own deck , similar to the Honda dome deck. They share the same drives and engines.

http://www.exmark.com/Commercial21/

http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/comm21/22156.html

I like the Toro deck for two reasons, the first is mulching related and the second is the chute design; Exmark is long and narrow , bad for bagging , Toro is short and wide, good for bagging. Exmark just does not get it with small mowers as seen with the 26, and now this blunder.

My apologies. Up till this year they were the same, toro proline 21" and the exmark metro 21". I don't keep up on exmark, but I did know that toro does still make the proline unit "heavy duty" as well as the "Commercial" and the "Hi-Vac". I know the hi-vac is the one with the old lawn boy m-series deck. Those were just awesome bagging mowers, hands down, best.

Roger
02-23-2010, 11:12 PM
I am very interested in this new machine. I have looked at the pictures, and the video on their web site, but not seen one in person. The video could be done so much better for better explanations of the features. My local dealer isn't expecting any machines until after March 1.

When quoting prices, best be careful because there are six models. They range from simple push mower, up to the top of the line, with BBC.

I was optimistic about this machine, but am really disappointed in the single speed transmission for ground drive. I realize they wanted to minimize cost of transmission, and this is a very simple solution -- belt slip for ground speed control. The weight is pretty good, the bagging system looks good from the pictures and video. Also, the height adjustment is unusual, but does away with so many moving parts like other systems. Perhaps in their quest to minimize parts that wear out and ease of maintenance, they may have sacrificed production. I don't know.

I had ran staggered wheel LawnBoys, with 2 cycle engines, for many years. But they wore out, and last season I started with a Honda HRX 217, Cruise Control. Despite being a consumer model (high end), it survived a tough season (perhaps 700 service hours). It is good weight, great bagger, best mulcher I've had, engine (GCV) ran well all season, Versa-Mow feature saved us much time. I had two problems, ground speed selector cable, and handle bars - both needed replacing. But, I am wondering if this machine has another 700 hours left in it, hence the interest in the new Exmark. I consider the engine and the hydro transmission the most vulnerable part of the machine.

I have a Toro Proline, and the Honda is far superior in terms of bagging and mulching -- no comparison. The narrow neck of the bagging chute on the Toro is a killer for heavy clipping burdens, especially in Spring growing conditions. Despite being heavier than the Honda, I like the handling. The Honda requires full hand control of the ground drive, whereas the Toro only requires fingertip control. Because of the bagging of the Toro, it is relegated to the second machine, and only sees limited usage (8 hours/week).

If I don't like the new Exmark, and I'm not sure my Honda will survive another season, I probably would buy another Honda HRX 217, just like my current one. What else is left -- the market is very shallow on these machines. Weight is very important to me.

Landscraper1
02-24-2010, 10:16 AM
There is a new 21" on the market. I saw it at New England Grows Show. It's the Hustler M-1. Looks good. Very well built.

Roger
02-24-2010, 10:20 AM
There is a new 21" on the market. I saw it at New England Grows Show. It's the Hustler M-1. Looks good. Very well built.

This mower was out last season. It may be well built, but at a very high cost of weight. Waaaaaay too heavy for me (about 130#).

DUSTYCEDAR
02-24-2010, 10:29 AM
I had the airens top of the line bagger and wore the wheels off that beast
but that was 12 years ago?
i dont know what they r like now but that machine could bag wet grass like nothing i have ever seen.

Landscraper1
02-24-2010, 10:44 AM
This mower was out last season. It may be well built, but at a very high cost of weight. Waaaaaay too heavy for me (about 130#).

I guess it depends on what your using for. As far as I can see it's self-propelled, so weight doesn't matter unless you have to pick it up.
A well built commercial mower is not going to be very light. And Hustler has a history of making thier equipment to be solid.:weightlifter:
If you have to lift it in and out of a pickup truck or lift it onto walls yea, it's too heavy.

Roger
02-24-2010, 10:58 AM
[QUOTE=Landscraper1;3434136... As far as I can see it's self-propelled, so weight doesn't matter unless you have to pick it up.
....[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I have to strongly disagree. Yes, weight wouldn't matter if all lawns were five miles long and 21" wide, no turns. Oh yes, make them all flat too.

That isn't the real world. Sloping terrain, working in an out of small areas, frequent turns, and working behind the machine all day are a few reasons why weight is a concern. After every job, the mower is pull/pushed onto a trailer (no, I don't lift).

Perhaps age has something to do with it too. If you are 20, 6-3, 240, a 130# machine may work like a breeze. If you are 68, 5-8, 170#, the task takes on a different perspective.

The LawnBoy commercial mowers of the past were 78-85#. This is far different than 130#. I've "been there, done that" for many years, and know that the weight of the machine is important for me.

Landscraper1
02-24-2010, 11:27 AM
I stand corrected. I guess there are other factors on weight. Just not for my company. When I first started out in the business, all we used were those old Bobcat or Sensation push mowers, for years. Those were over 100lbs and we had to push them all day. That's when weight was a big factor. So now, when I grab a self propelled mower I think to myself wow, these guys have it made.:cool2:

dishboy
02-24-2010, 01:08 PM
Not only that, it shares the Honda two speed gear box which jumps when engaging , so feathering the drive around the perimeter is impossible. I owned that drive for two weeks before selling off the new machine.

johnnybravo8802
02-27-2010, 08:42 PM
Sorry, I have to strongly disagree. Yes, weight wouldn't matter if all lawns were five miles long and 21" wide, no turns. Oh yes, make them all flat too.

That isn't the real world. Sloping terrain, working in an out of small areas, frequent turns, and working behind the machine all day are a few reasons why weight is a concern. After every job, the mower is pull/pushed onto a trailer (no, I don't lift).

Perhaps age has something to do with it too. If you are 20, 6-3, 240, a 130# machine may work like a breeze. If you are 68, 5-8, 170#, the task takes on a different perspective.

The LawnBoy commercial mowers of the past were 78-85#. This is far different than 130#. I've "been there, done that" for many years, and know that the weight of the machine is important for me.
You said exactly what I was going to say!!!!:clapping:I do have to disagree about the age and strength affecting you with a 21" though-I'm 39 and bench press 405# and I still want the lightest thing out there. After yrs of doing this and working solo, the lighter the better with everything. Now I know what my father was talking about all those years.:laugh::laugh:

bock
02-27-2010, 09:07 PM
I compared all of the current 21' commerical models and I decided to go with the hustler M1. I think they are built a lot more heavy duty than the others.

Does any company make a two cycle 21 any more??