PDA

View Full Version : Slip Plate

MikeKle
02-23-2010, 06:37 PM
There was a thread that was talking about this stuff, but I cant find it now, anyway, I looked at their site and it looks pretty expensive and you must clean the deck so it is completely clear of any debris or dirt! That would be a challenge on used mowers! and I dont care what kind of claim a coating makes, you will still get that grass/dirt ring that appears around the blades, once a little bit gets a foot hold, it will just keep building up more and more, because it will be sticking to the grass/dirt layer then and not the coating surface. Many people say they use PAM cooking oil, but this would wear off quickly I bet. Other than some process at manufacture, there is really no way to prevent grass build up. I dread all the scraping, but what else can you do? I just try to mow when it is dry as possible or raise the deck up, but when you have morning dew that sticks around til noon, its hard to avoid wet yards!

MJB
02-24-2010, 12:01 AM
John Deer sells a product called EZ Slide for mower decks. 1 can is about $7.I just bought it and plan on trying it this year, as soon as I can find the time to clean the deck. I will take use a high speed drill with the wire brush attachment to clean the deck 1st unless someone has a better idea. Pressure washer will work to a degree also.

MikeKle
02-24-2010, 11:17 AM
I was always told pressure washing is a no no on mower decks due to the water getting into the sealed bearings and spindles. But a wire brush should work fine, plus it will etch the surface to allow better adhesion.

MJB
02-24-2010, 01:01 PM
I was always told pressure washing is a no no on mower decks due to the water getting into the sealed bearings and spindles. But a wire brush should work fine, plus it will etch the surface to allow better adhesion.

Good Point especially for the newbe's on here! I've had really good luck with sealed spindles, but I never pressure wash them. I may pressure wash part of the deck but careful not to hit the spindles. A lot of guys on Lawnsite say the sealed spindles don't last as long as greasable ones, maybe that's why. I've never had a failure in 1. (Knock on wood).

dishboy
02-24-2010, 02:06 PM
John Deer sells a product called EZ Slide for mower decks. 1 can is about $7.I just bought it and plan on trying it this year, as soon as I can find the time to clean the deck. I will take use a high speed drill with the wire brush attachment to clean the deck 1st unless someone has a better idea. Pressure washer will work to a degree also.

Do you have a JD part number, the parts guy said he only has a graphite spray, and the name has changed.

MJB
02-24-2010, 02:10 PM
Do you have a JD part number, the parts guy said he only has a graphite spray, and the name has changed.

This is a graphite based coating. Part#1TTP940SP

After looking at this product it's not the same as slip plate. This is a grahite
based paint..or friction reducing paint which will probably work well but how long it will last before having to redo itonly time will tell.

The Slip Plate looks like a superior product that would last longer..but more expensive too.

dishboy
02-24-2010, 04:11 PM
This is a graphite based coating. Part#1TTP940SP

After looking at this product it's not the same as slip plate. This is a grahite
based paint..or friction reducing paint which will probably work well but how long it will last before having to redo itonly time will tell.

The Slip Plate looks like a superior product that would last longer..but more expensive too.

I would be willing to bet JD just re badged the slip-plate , JD is real good at hiding their sources so we can't look for cheaper alternatives. Grainger sells the Slip plate gallons @ $41.00-49.00a gallon depending if you have a account or not. JD has therir gallon version @ 46.00.

topsites
02-24-2010, 06:12 PM
My mowers have non-stick paint, works great.

yardguy28
02-24-2010, 07:18 PM

my mowers get wet from me using a garden hose maybe twice a season if that. i never use a pressure washer for the very reason you just said.

as for keeping the deck clean. i use a putty knife and get under there after each working day. it's actually really nice to get under there after a day when the grass has been a little on the wet side because the grass is all wet and soft and comes off really easy. also takes with it any of the dried hard stuff i wasn't able to get on the last scrapping.

Edward Hunter Yard Works
03-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Can Slip Plate be bought locally instead of in bulk from their web site?

unkownfl
03-23-2010, 02:45 PM
I use a pressure washer. Low pressure and 5gpm volume and hot water I add some soap to the mix. Then when I'm done I put some toro stuff on. It works well for me. I don't hit the spindles with the hose directly but they do get wet. Getting them wet won't make the grease run out.