PDA

View Full Version : Stihl BG86 or Shindaiwa EB3410

chad22
02-23-2010, 06:50 PM
Hey guys,

My local Shin dealer (Australia) has the EB3410 blower on special which is $100 dollars less than the full priced Stihl BG86. Am i still better off with the Stihl? I've herd mixed reports about the Shin C4 engines.

Thanks for your help.

Alan0354
02-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I have the Shindy EB3410, I have it for two and half years, I have no problem. For $100 less, I'll take the Shindy any time. It is 34cc vs 28cc. The engine is over 20% bigger in size. I don't care how you cut it, chances are Shindaiwa should be stronger. I never heard of any negative report on the C4 engine except the EB8510 79cc blower, and at that mostly on the other stuff on the blower. Read more old posts, there are enough complains on all other super blowers of breaking down.

They normally are similar price, then you can go either way. But $100 cheaper, I am surprised you even have to ask.

You are going to hear people raving on one brand and piss on the other, at the end of the day, they are all commercial quality. For that big a difference in money, it is a no brainer!!!

chad22
02-23-2010, 07:22 PM
My thoughts exactly Alan. Thanks for your input though mate

Alan0354
02-23-2010, 07:44 PM
My thoughts exactly Alan. Thanks for your input though mate

You should do a search on the EB3410. We were just raving about this very blower a few days ago only. Everyone of us love it. The poster end up buying the Maruyama BL3200 only because he can't find a sale like you, and usually the Shindaiwa is very expensive like the BG86. But with a big sale that you have, be sure you get it before they run out.

I think both Shindy and BG86 are consider top of the hand held together with the less known Maruyama. But what you have is even better price than the Maru!!!

Remember, 4 cycle is healthier for you and smell better. Don't forget, they sip gas!!!

chad22
02-23-2010, 08:04 PM
I did do a search, but the threads were mixed. Some people said they regret buying the EB3410 and some loved it. Others said that there was a tendency for carbon build up in the exhaust and warranty issues. I have two 2-stroke Shindaiwa trimmers and love them so I have faith in the brand, however Iím not overly familiar with the C4 engines. Most guys in my area use Shindi trimmers and Stihl blowers so I wanted to get some feedback.

mowerdude777
02-23-2010, 08:11 PM
I like both brand but I have to give this one to sthil (I love there hand held blowers) sthil is the best handheld blower I have ran so far

chad22
02-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I picked up the Shindaiwa today....the offer was too good to pass up. I've given it a quick run and let me say, what a great machine. The C4 engine is incredibly smooth and for a 4 stroke, it revs very quickly and cleanly. It has a throttle limiter which for the time being i have set to restrict the revs. Even at this low setting it has tremendous power. Pushes leaves effortlessly. The dealer explained that he has experienced some with carb problems causing the machine to flood. If i have any such problems it will all be covered under warranty. I've only used the machine once but so far i'm impressed! I'll keep you all updated of the progress once i log some more hours.

LouisianaLawnboy
02-24-2010, 12:13 AM
I like both brand but I have to give this one to sthil (I love there hand held blowers) sthil is the best handheld blower I have ran so far

Not an accusation, but just asking. Have you run a Shindaiwa handheld blower before?

I've had Shindy trimmers and blowers for a long time, and love them.

Alan0354
02-24-2010, 12:48 AM
I don't do brand loyalty, I think both are very very good. It would be a very very closed call if both are selling at retail price which is very close also......very expensive!!!! But $100 discount, there should be no argument, it would be crazy not to pick the Shindy up. I would say exactly the same if the BG86 is $100 less without blinking of an eye!!! Money talk!!!!.....In this case less money talk!!!:laugh:

I was skaptical of the C4 after I bought it. But of all the other expensive hand held equipments I got since, this is the most reliable one so far other than my cheapy Echo HC151 which is 5 years old.

As for flooding, you guys should know, if you start it wrong, all hand held can get into a stuben mode that it just refuse to start no mater what. You should try the Echo when they get into that mode!!! I settled into one pattern of starting all the equipments and I have not have an encounter this for a year or more already.

LouisianaLawnboy
02-24-2010, 12:52 AM
I don't do brand loyalty, I think both are very very good. It would be a very very closed call if both are selling at retail price which is very close also......very expensive!!!! But $100 discount, there should be no argument, it would be crazy not to pick the Shindy up. I would say exactly the same if the BG86 is $100 less without blinking of an eye!!! Money talk!!!!.....In this case less money talk!!!:laugh:

I was skaptical of the C4 after I bought it. But of all the other expensive hand held equipments I got since, this is the most reliable one so far other than my cheapy Echo HC151 which is 5 years old.

I too believe that all the major brands are good solid equipment. I just like to have a relationship with my dealer, and I don't have to go running all over town(or different towns) to get parts for my equipment.

1whitetail
02-24-2010, 02:18 AM
I have a Stihl bg86 and it has been a great blower, but for $100 less I also would have gone with the Shindy. You made the right decision. :clapping: