PDA

View Full Version : Cultured stone veneer on existing brick wall

ohiogreenworks
02-23-2010, 07:58 PM
Alright here is the situation: Have an existing brick wall approximately 2ft tall. Has a cement top cap that is loose and falling off. The brick, however, is in excellent shape. It is a retaining type wall with landscaping behind it and a sidewalk in front. I want to put dry stack cultured stone on the wall and a new top cap over the whole thing. I have done many basement fireplaces/pillars etc. I always built the framing, put lathe over the sheeting, scratch coat etc. I have never put the stone on brick. Do I need to scratch coat the brick or can I stick the stone right to it? It is a rough faced brick, none of that smooth stuff. Let me know what you think thanks for the help!

Also, there are 4 outside corners on this wall. I would like to build them out and up somewhat like in this picture. I will be using smaller drystack stone but this is the general idea. What is the best way to build these corners out? I know it is hard to picture without a pic of the brick wall. I am just confused about how to enlarge the corners and still support the stone. Thanks for any advice you can offer
http://www.petewilsonstoneworks.com/images/pws_portfolio.jpg

2low4NH
02-25-2010, 11:11 AM
there should be a brick shelf if it was built right that you could build on or lag some angle iron on it and use wall ties with brick.

johnsonslawnmanagement
02-25-2010, 11:29 AM
The stone can be placed right over the brick, no problem. Just put some acrylic fortifer in with your mortar mix for added strength.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rocha_Construction
02-27-2010, 09:42 PM
To install the stone I would just clean the bricks to avoid any moss staying inside the wall and I would just go against it with the stone.

Just make sure to leave a nice overhang on the capping so water does not accumulate so much on the stone.

If you want to make columns, the best way would be to use 2x4s with tar paper and steel lath. Then build against it.

Good luck.

PatriotLandscape
03-04-2010, 07:25 PM
use a wire lathe, put a scratch coat of mortar on it , let that cure, then veneer your stone. going directly over the brick can sometimes be a problem.

ohiogreenworks
03-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Thanks for all the help guys.

I think we are going to go in with another experience contractor in the area (a friend) and tear all the walls out and put up new retaining walls. We are hoping to help him with the job and learn some at the same time!

2low4NH
03-09-2010, 07:21 AM
theres no need to tear out the wall. look at my above post im a 4th generation mason i have done a few of these. pressure wash the wall do a scratch coat and go to town. keep more profit in your pocket!

PatriotLandscape
03-09-2010, 08:35 PM
yeah, no reason at all to tear the wall out.

gardiner
03-10-2010, 03:03 PM
Alright here is the situation: Have an existing brick wall approximately 2ft tall. Has a cement top cap that is loose and falling off. The brick, however, is in excellent shape. It is a retaining type wall with landscaping behind it and a sidewalk in front. I want to put dry stack cultured stone on the wall and a new top cap over the whole thing. I have done many basement fireplaces/pillars etc. I always built the framing, put lathe over the sheeting, scratch coat etc. I have never put the stone on brick. Do I need to scratch coat the brick or can I stick the stone right to it? It is a rough faced brick, none of that smooth stuff. Let me know what you think thanks for the help!

Also, there are 4 outside corners on this wall. I would like to build them out and up somewhat like in this picture. I will be using smaller drystack stone but this is the general idea. What is the best way to build these corners out? I know it is hard to picture without a pic of the brick wall. I am just confused about how to enlarge the corners and still support the stone. Thanks for any advice you can offer
http://www.petewilsonstoneworks.com/images/pws_portfolio.jpg

i worked in the navarre ohio ,cultured stone plant 11 years before they closed the ohio plant back in 2006
dry stack is really light and thin. so it should'nt be hard to get them to stay in place by sounds you worked with the veneer stone before . as far as building up or out with the ends i prob go with more brick or cinder block