PDA

View Full Version : On the move

Mark B
02-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Thought the forums needs a new thread. Well looks like the redneck is getting ready to make a move to the BIG of Charlotte, NC. I will be taking a job at this place www.rosewoodcondos.com as the maintenace guy (sounds great huh). I will be starting the new gig Monday. I will be moving 2hrs from my home now. I have a few questions.

Should I take this time to do a name change. My current name is Greenlights I have had this name for years now.
In the past I was doing irrigation service and lighting. I do not plan on doing irrigation service work there. I still plan on going after my NC plumbing license.

What would be some of the better ways (cheap) to drum up business in such a large town. I have only worked in a small town. SO this will be different for me.

sal rodriguez
02-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Thought the forums needs a new thread. Well looks like the redneck is getting ready to make a move to the BIG of Charlotte, NC. I will be taking a job at this place www.rosewoodcondos.com as the maintenace guy (sounds great huh). I will be starting the new gig Monday. I will be moving 2hrs from my home now. I have a few questions.

Should I take this time to do a name change. My current name is Greenlights I have had this name for years now.
In the past I was doing irrigation service and lighting. I do not plan on doing irrigation service work there. I still plan on going after my NC plumbing license.

What would be some of the better ways (cheap) to drum up business in such a large town. I have only worked in a small town. SO this will be different for me.

Well if you really want to know and you won't take this personally this is my recommendation. You can start by being more aware of your online image. Potential customers may find you here and get turned off.

I'd lose the beer mugs on the bottom of your posts. I'd stop using profanity even if it is mild and I'd stop calling myself a redneck.

Again nothing personal just trying to help.

In your new town with your new image you can join networking groups with other like minded business people who may be able to refer work to you.

start with small jobs and treat people well and ask for referrals. You have to crawl before you can walk. Just the fact that you are asking for help is a step in the right direction.

Good luck with your new job and town.

Sal

BrandonV
02-23-2010, 10:59 PM
good luck sleepyhead! charlotte is a whole different ballgame than burlington. we occasionally work down there but there are a TON of folks doing what we do, and in times past many of them aren't worried about quality, I always figured they were in such a big market that you can keep bouncing to different neighborhoods. you just keep your quality high and your new job I'm sure you'll be ok. Just hope BOA doesn't get into any more trouble or move.

BrandonV
02-23-2010, 11:01 PM
btw the jokester in me wants to say go in and change your name to the biggest/most reputable company in town and see if the phone starts to ring... but I shouldn't because I know nothing about the drama that seemed to hit here the other day.... but I still will.

Mark B
02-24-2010, 07:54 AM
I forgot to add. I think this is one is a DUH!! I will be moving into another area code as far as phone # goes. Right now I have a 336 I am going to a 704 area code. Should I look into a new phone line?

I have this really catchy name I was thinking about. LOL

Classic Lighting
02-24-2010, 08:56 AM
This is a great opportunity for a new start. Charlotte is a huge market and there is lots of competition. My best advice to give you is to NETWORK. Get your name out there, visit local lighting suppliers, get a feel for what's there. INtroduce yourself to competition and learn about the market. A great personality goes a long way. If I remember right, south Charlotte is the money pot.
As far as name change, not a big deal. Just because you have a catchy name doesn't mean squat. It's how you market and interact with clients that matters. Change your phone number to the local code. Simplifies things for clients.

Mark B
02-24-2010, 10:35 AM
This will be a totally different market then what I am use to here in the small town.

Mike M
02-24-2010, 11:53 PM
Have you really thought this through? Where will you go fishing?

Mark B
02-28-2010, 08:10 PM
Tell me about it Mike. I wish I was moving east. It look like I will be fishing out of the kayak in the local lakes. I guess for the beach I will head towards Charleston area. I think the drum fishing there is good.

Mike M
02-28-2010, 10:47 PM
Check out the ACE basin national preserve from Edisto to Beaufort, plus points south. A lot of outfitters to call for info. I came close to buying a kayak for flyfishing before I left, the redfish are everywhere around Beaufort County. Cobia are in the Broad river in May (worth the trip from NC). I never had time when I was busy landscaping, and then when business slowed I didn't have the money for the equipment. Go figure.

Here: the ice is five feet thick and people are using extensions on their augers. Sheefish are starting to run. They are huge. I just started getting out on my snowmobile looking for them. They will be running near shore soon. About to get a 3.06 for caribou & moose.

Haven't figured out summer yet. I might try lighting installs down along the road network, or I might stay up in the arctic and fish. hahaha. Good choices either way.